Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2001, 05:28 AM
First Mate

Default is the wind that bad?

after reading many comments on the wind, i'm getting bummed out about my 14 day cruise from sydney to auckland. any advice on how to make the best of this cruise? can't cancel cause i bought the trip through an auction. i read the ship has been updated recently. did anyone notice whether that was an improvement? would appreciate any input that's out there.
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Billy Bob

Default Re: is the wind that bad?

Well, there is the occasional smell of sewage and the "freestyle" dining left a lot to be desired. The menus in the resturants did not change much, appitizers and desserts the same every day that we were on board. Other than that, it was not too bad. However, we will not sail on NCL again.
Old October 19th, 2001, 11:36 PM
Passenger

Now this is a candid answer ... with the normal how wonderful the trip was ... : ))
Still chuckling at your comments...........
Old October 20th, 2001, 02:57 AM
First Mate

thanks for your vote of confidence! now i'm really dreading the cruise. . .14 days of misery, huh?
Old October 20th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Billy Bob

No, it was not all that bad. We did have fun at the ports, but then again, isn't that the reason to go on a cruise in the first place? I think the "freestyle" was flawed on our trip because it was still a relatively new concept to the crew. Our cabin was great, lots of room, we were on deck 7 with a large window. The room steward was awesome, the hardest man working in the cruise business! We did not have too many problems with the other wait staff, except that with "freestyle" we never had the same waiter/waitress twice, so there was never any connection there, like on other cruises we have taken in the past. I am sure you will have a great time on your cruise.
Old October 20th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Yeoman

We're booked on the twin ship Dream 10/27. Have been reading posts since August. It seems there are people who love NCL and people who don't. The same goes for RCCL, HAL, Princess etc. We're looking forward to it! Don't sweat it. For every bad message I've read, there has been an equally good message. My first cruise so I know I'm no expert, just well read.
Old October 21st, 2001, 09:16 PM
Passenger

I dont know why people hate freestyle cruising.I know that when my wife and I go out for dinner ,it is at a time WE wish to eat.And ,well I am not paying thousands of dollars to buddy up to a waiter from another country.If that were the case ,heck they might as well sponser one of these guys to come to the U.S. and work at a restaraunt near there house.

have a great Time
Old October 22nd, 2001, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Spent 11 wonderful days on this ship. What you generally read in the posts when you see negative comments are people who have one brief negative experience who then project it into a ship, a cruise line or cruising altogether. Go over to the Celebrity threads, there is a guy there panning Celebrity cruise lines entirely because he boarded late on a Bermuda Cruise. Let's see now, Celebrity was using an alternate port because of the 9/11
tradgedy and there was a hurricane in Bermuda . That makes the whole cruise line BAD???Gotta lighten up.
Take negative comments with a grain of salt.
The Wind is a nice ship with nice ammenities. Spend some time at
the pool on the stern. It is nice and quiet back there.
I have not experienced the freestyle dining, but can tell you there is a very nice choice of dining facilities on this ship.
You have not made a mistake, enjoy your cruise.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 01:00 AM
First Mate

you make some very good points as did others on successive messages. i'm going to have a positive attitude and enjoy the experience. thanks!
Old February 12th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Beginner

You have to have very low standards to like the Wind. Try another cruise line and see what it's really like to cruise.