Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2001, 08:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default NCL's Going to Make It!

Good Day:
After posting several questions about NCL and their financial issues, it has been understood that NCL would not be were they are without the corporation of their parent company Star Cruises. Star Cruises became a part of the NCL family in March 2000 (if I am correct). Star Cruises has put a lot of time and money into NCL into making NCL what they are today! Star Cruises, NCL's parent company is also a profitable Cruise Line.

Some of those examples are:

Implementing “Freestyle” Cruising; the first cruise line in the North American market.
-Freestyle Dining
-Freestyle Service
-Freestyle Attire
-Freestyle Activities
-Freestyle Gratuities
-Freestyle Disembarkation

Having as many as 10 restaurants per ship.

Taking NCL and “Freestyle” cruising to Hawaii with Hawaii’s first purpose-built ship ever; Norwegian Star.

New NCL logo

Deploying its feet to Europe, New Zealand, Asia, etc.
NCL Special features

Broadway shows
Dive In
Enrichment Lectures
Pre & Post Packages
Honeymoon at Sea
Chocoholic Buffet
Sports Bar
Kid’s Crew
Sports Afloat
NCL contributes!

Fanning Island, just off the islands of Hawaii, home to approximately 1,304 people declare a holiday when one of NCL’s ship arrive at Fanning Island. NCL delvers medical care, food, staples, school supplies, and more. NCL even supplies sporting goods for the island’s basketball and soccer teams. Next, December the Norwegian Star will begin bringing weekly mail to the island. The first time ever. NCL was even privileged to have Fanning Island’s primary school named after them; NCL Primary School.

In my opinion, Star Cruises, NCL, and Orient Lines are truly working together to bring the best of the Cruise Industry to YOU. New ships, new destinations, and indeed a new look.

I’m sure NCL will continue to be a leader in the cruise ship industry, since they pioneered the first Caribbean cruise! So from the feedback I have received about NCL; they have come this far and I hope they will not give up now!

Keep up the GOOD work NCL!

Love to hear from you/what do you think....

Happy Cruising,
Leslie
lls@ibl.bm
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2001, 09:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: NCL's Going to Make It!

Yes NCL will probablt make it thru these tough times. Even though NCL employeres are paid to make such statements.If NCL wants to stay profitable,then maybe a slot club,or drink tickets, or even a drawing that gives away some cheap little trinket.
Old October 22nd, 2001, 08:36 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: NCL's Going to Make It!

Freestyle tipping? Charging $10 a day per person is hardly what I would call freestyle. The old way with the envelopes was truly freestyle as one could put what one wanted in or throw them away if one preferred.

Freestyle disembarkation? Assingning disembarkation times by colored tags is hardly getting off the ship when you want.

Freestyle service? Exactly, you have to do a lot more things for yourself on NCL, like cleaning a table off to get somewhere to sit.

NCL might make it, but only because they are a cut-rate line, not because of anything they do that is "special."
Old October 22nd, 2001, 05:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: NCL's Going to Make It...I hope!

Good Day:

I would like to clarify why I posted this topic about “NCL's Going to Make It!” I posted this topic because after the recent events, the travel industry has and is currently feeling the effects; from cruise lines, airlines, hotels, travel agencies, just to name a few. Renaissance Cruises and American Classic Voyages have already voluntarily filed petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. NCL had financial problems until the acquisition of NCL and Orient Lines in March 2000 by Star Cruises. After the acquisition of NCL we can now see that NCL will indeed become a leader in the cruise line industry as the recent events have taken place. I can see after NCL’s financial problems throughout previous years Star Cruises will indeed keep NCL a part of the cruise market.

Again, I was just sharing my opinion about NCL. With the recent events and with the downfall in travel, NCL continues to be a major player in the cruise business. From a cruise line that had financial trouble to a cruise line that has now become a leader in the business. Keep up the Good work NCL!

I would like to take this time to apologize if I have insulted anyone. I would love to hear from you/what do you think…

Happy Cruising,
Leslie
lls@ibl.bm
Old November 12th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

We will be taking our first NCL cruise next August aboard the Sky. Hopefully they will survive the financial crunch which followed 9/11. Has NCL reduced the fares to Alaska? According to our TA, they have not.

We have never experienced "Freestyle" before. Our previous cruise was aboard a traditional ship, where our waiters and other service people knew us and our preferences.

Does "Freestyle" mean long waits in the dinner line?
Old November 15th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Yeoman

It sure did for us. Everyone trying to eat around the same time was impossible. Of course we were on the Wind. But that was enough to make up our minds. Give me the traditional dining from now on!