Old October 22nd, 2001, 03:05 PM
Alan Maldonado

Default Alaska Cruise Refund ?

Hi, If anyone has any suggestions for me please feel free to email me or post.
I’ll try to keep it brief. I was to fly from Miami to Seattle on 9-15-01 and cruise NCL for an Alaskan cruise. My fiance and I were to get married during the cruise and enjoy the remainder of the cruise as a honeymoon.
My Continental Airlines flight was cancelled and we could not get an alternate flight. Continental refunded my fare immediately but NCL is refusing. I understand NCL's situation but mine is thus: My future wife wanted to take a “wintery” type of honeymoon with us being from South Florida. Now we have $1700 tied up in NCL that we cannot get back to actually use toward a honeymoon. The only thing we could afford now is to use the potential NCL $1700 credit towards a trip to the Carolina mountains or something similar OR wait 'til next May to take the Alaska cruise which we did not want to do either (They only cruise Alaska May thru Sept.). My fiance does not want to use they NCL credit and go to the Caribbean (she is even afraid of swimming in the ocean because of the shark scares so we would not be snorkeling, ...) because she had her heart set on going to cold weather place with snow, ...
I have contacted the manager of the NCL customer operations area, and even had a friend that deals with the corporate insuring of NCL contact the CFO of NCL, a Mr. Lamar Cooler, with no reponse.
I know my problem is so minimal compared to those poor souls attacked on 9-11-01, but I would like to make this an enjoyable time for my fiance and I, not to let these terrorists impact us as well as everyone else they have hurt.
Short of hiring a lawyer, any suggestions?? Are we stuck because we did not take the trip cancellation insurance?
Thank you in advance,
Alan Maldonado
Old October 22nd, 2001, 03:28 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Alaska Cruise Refund ?

Unfortunately, I'd say you are stuck... without insurance!!! Your ticket is clear, and actually, without insurance NCL is not responsible for giving you the credit. I know this sounds harsh, but it is the reality of the whole situation. The Alaska cruise is wonderful -- but then so is the Caribbean and Hawaii and Panama and etc... Use the credit when you can and be happy you weren't out the whole amount... Look at the bright side... right now you can book alot more cruise (better cabin, etc) for the amount you have on credit!!
Old October 22nd, 2001, 08:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would also be a little annoyed with Continental. Why weren't they able to put you on another flight or airline? Or fly you out a day sooner etc. They have that ability. I know that is not what you are asking but it seems a little odd that they did not do more.

And if you did not have insurance I would just be thankfu that you at least got a credit from NCL, they did not have to do that. You could be out a lot more money.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Everyone has had to make a lot of adjusments due to the attacks. We left for Bermuda on the 16th of September, we had many couples on the ship that had just gotten married and half the people they invited to their wedding including members of the wedding party could not come.

You can still get a cheap airfare to somewhere like the Poconos in PA and stay a few days. You can take your cruise next year as an early Anniversary celebration.

Unfortunately it would probably cost you more to get a lawyer and try to fight this, and there are no guarantees you would win. I have complained about bad cruises and it seems that the cruise lines don't ever give money back just vouchers to use on future cruises with them.
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Mary Martin

Alan,
Too bad I didn't see this sooner. NCL offers cruises to New England/Canada
which might not have had snow but it might be colder than Florida. I'm a Florida girl myself who transplanted myself in Tennessee. My husband and I have sailed nothing but the Caribbean and let me tell you it is beautiful there. We never worried about sharks when we went there, the only place I think you would have to worry about is the Bahamas. The water is so clear you can see little fish swimming around your feet. You can always go see the islands and the people and just swim on the ship. We will be cruising for the first time with NCL this coming March on the Majesty again to the Caribbean. We just love it there. I hope you and your fiance will give it a try. Oh, and one last thing ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS
buy insurance. If you have any questions about the island please feel free to email me at the address below.
Good luck and happy sailing,
Mary Martin
[email protected]