Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2001, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Use FRS Radios to keep in touch while cruising

Do you know how hard it is to locate someone or your spouse on a 900 ft cruise ship? Cell phones don't work too well and too costly (roaming rates & long distance) but FRS radios work like a champ and they only cost about $50/pair. Even the crew uses them to communicate. We just finished cruising on the Norweigan Sky a few days ago to Hawaii and the ship is so big, one could miss each other between decks. I saw a couple who used the radios on this cruise loved it and I should have thought of it. I'll have one the next time I cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Use FRS Radios to keep in touch while cruising

Mel,

We took our radios on our last cruise and they worked ok. Sometimes it was hard to contact the other members of our party because the radios don't work too well from inside the ship to the outside or to the other end of the ship. I plan on taking a pair on our next cruise.

Gene
Old November 5th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Jim Munkittrick

They work really well with kids....from what I have been told.
I have also heard folks complain the some ships deny their use becuase they have the potential to interfere with navigational equipment..
Old November 5th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Sounds good to me, but has anyone actually used them personally? I bought a pair with a cruise in mind, but wonder about the reception quality aboard ship. Hoping to hear from someone! Thanks for posting this topic!
Old November 11th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Passenger

Yes, I have used them on my last 2 cruises and would now never travel without them. We were on RCI Voyager and Explorer, both huge ships, and we never had a problem with reception. We also use them in all the holiday resorts we visit - with 4 children between the ages of 4 and 11, they are really invaluable.
The models we have are Motorola "Talk Abouts", which have Weather Call and FM Radio, with variable channel selection for privacy and Vibra-Call.
We purchased them in Bayside in Miami en route to the Port in January 2000. At the time they were top of the range (of 3 models) and cost approx $280 - well worth it!
We are cruising on Norwegian Star in January, and our Talk Abouts will be the first thing in the suitcase!