Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default NCL Sky/ Can you bring your own liquor and soda on

Would like to hear from anyone that has recently been on the Sky. Would like to bring a bottle onboard for our own use on the balcony instead of running back and forth to the bars. Does NCL search and confiscate liquor that is brought onboard?
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2001, 02:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: NCL Sky/ Can you bring your own liquor and sod

I find it best to pack a bottle or two in my check in baggage.

Some cruise lines check all carry on bags. Some will take any carry on liquor and store it till, the end of the cruise. Cruise lines policies change all the time.
So my suggestion is to pack a few bottles (make sure they will not break)
in your checked baggage and have a great time.
Old December 6th, 2001, 04:59 PM
First Mate

We have cruised on NCL before out of San Jaun on the Majesty.We got rum at the duty free on the dock and when we went on board they took our bottles and said they would give it back at the end of the cruise,which they did.
Old December 6th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was just on the Sun and packed some in my checked luggage and it was not a problem. I did not buy anything in any of the ports but others did. You do have to have everything xrayed as you board now from port but nothing was ever taken from anyone that I saw or heard.
Old December 10th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Hand carried stuff is now being examined so they will find your booze and soda and will return it to you at the end of the cruise.
We always put it in a check bag so it goes directly to the cabin without a problem.
Understand they are not being foul, but they are looking for the extra $$$ every purchased beverage brings...can't blame them, can't blame us!
Old December 10th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ports: Even with everything that is being xrayed at every port, more so for security, people we met did not have their alcohol taken. It may have been a fluke so be aware that they usually always take it and post this in your cabin but you may get lucky. They do give it back at the end of your cruise on the last day. Also if you wish to purchase any of the liquor onboard order that as soon as possible as they do sell out of the more popular brands.
Old December 27th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Captain

Sailed with NCL twice, the Dream and the Norway. Our experience was that you were able to bring liquor, beer, etc. onboard only at embarkation and only in your checked luggage. At ports, they would take it from you and return it the last night. On our cruises, you couldn't buy for the ships liquor store for in-room use. Purchases there were also delivered to you on the last night. As a result of our being aware of this, we packed beverages in our checked luggage. We also purchased beverages in the ship's bars and restaruants.
I cannot agree with those who defend the line's restricting my possesion of legal beverages in the name increasing revenue. Creating a monopoly always increases revenues, but it still aint right!