Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Lynda

Default Need Info on Sun

We are considering the Sun this year, but we are aware there is only freesytle dining. My husband enjoys sitting at the same table each evening and the waiter and staff get to know you, what you like such as fresh ground pepper with the salad, or espresso after dinner, its more personable.
My questions are:
Will we be able to dine at the same table in the main dining room each evening, will they allow us to make reversations for each evening immediately or do we have to call each day to make the reservations?
Is the menue in both main dining rooms the same? We are beef eaters does one offer more beef than the other?
Is the service lacking due to the fact we aren't paying extra for our dinner as we would in the alternative dining areas?
Is there a wait even though we make reservations to get to our table?
How is the food on the outdoor cafe?
Is pizza available all day and night?
Is ice cream complimentary?
What kinds of beverages are complimentary besides coffee and tea?
Does anybody know the charge for the soda cards?
How was the ship overall?

Any information you can give us would be greatly appreciated!
Lynda
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2002, 04:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Need Info on Sun

Lynda, my husband and I are taking this cruise 3/9 and I have found so much helpful information on cruisecritic.com. Many excellent post, most postivive, about freesyle dining, the ship, excursions, etc. I also have a couple of good websites on the cruise, if you would like to e-mail me I'll be glad to send them.
Old February 5th, 2002, 05:41 AM
maril

Susan
You won't like freesytle IF you want to sit at the same table with the same waiter, this will not happen in any of the SUN's 9 restaurants. Several times we asked for the same table at the 4 Seasons and a specific waiter but his area was filled when we got there. He must have been popular.
Ice Cream:long lines when it first opens and only open 3 hrs in the afternoon. Get there, near the pool, at the end of the 3 hrs. It is free and IS excellent.
Pizza, available most of the day but the food is under a heat lamp and altho we loved the food in all the restaurants, the pizza area was the worst for hot foot, it was all dried out, even the burgers.
Drink cards: For kids and teens only but they have to carry the same glass around the entire week. It costs around $29-35 for the week for like 21 sodas. Bring your own.
Coffee and tea are the only free drinks on board Alcohol runs from $4.45 to $8 per drink and included is a 15% tip to the barkeep. The drinks are great tho cept for Irish coffee which the bartender didnt seem to know how to make, we made the waiter take it back. Ordered a coke instead to clean our pallet.
You can order a bucket of 6 Dos Equis beers for $24 and they give you a free t-shirt with Dos Equis on it..actually you are paying for the shirt.
All in all, we would do the SUN again if we don't retire first in Belize. We fell in love with that island and have tons of info we are pouring over now to see what out plans are.
Write me email if you want more info on the SUN. We were on her Jan 5-12.
marilSusan wrote:
>
> Lynda, my husband and I are taking this cruise 3/9 and I have
> found so much helpful information on cruisecritic.com. Many
> excellent post, most postivive, about freesyle dining, the
> ship, excursions, etc. I also have a couple of good
> websites on the cruise, if you would like to e-mail me I'll
> be glad to send them.
Old February 9th, 2002, 03:03 PM
maril

Susan,
can you send me the web sites you found on NCL's SUN. We were on her jan 5-12, this year. I have seen many sites on the ship, perhaps you have found some I haven't seen.
thanks
maril
Old February 9th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Lynda

Maril

Thank you. Were not going to choose the sun, as we love the traditional seating, I thank you for telling me all...don't care for ice cream a certain time waiting for lines, etc.

NCL a few years was a disappointment to us I guess we will stick with the to the other lines thank you so much!!
Lynda
Old February 11th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Nita

Linda, sorry you had a bad experience with NCL a few years ago. What ship were you on? I am about to take my 12th cruise and have sailed on most of the major lines. Overall I like NCL the best I think. The food isn't the best, but I find the food about the same on most ships. The enterainment on NCL I think is very good and the staff usually quite friendly. Cabins are also larger than RCCL. Enjoy your cruise. Nita
Old February 17th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Susan we are considering going on the Sun during Thanksgiving 2002. Any info you have dug up would be most helpful. Thanks. Joe