Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default forward vs aft on NCL Sun

Looking at the mini-suite/penthouse cabins on the NCL Sun. These are on all four sides of the ship but having never travelled in a foreward or aft stateroom we thought we would try something new and would like advice on the pros and cons of foreward and aft?

Is it really just wind versus engine noise? How windy can it get? - even in calm seas? - does wind actually increase noise in foreward staterooms? - is there any shelter at all? - if aft can you really hear the engines 9/10/11 decks high? - how much privacy do you get or can those above see onto your balcony? - in general are foreward or aft staterooms really better than port/starboard?

I'm sure there are more questions I could ask but any advice would be great, particularly in relation to this ship.

Also do these staterooms have a rail only or glass and rail on the balcony?

Martin
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2002, 12:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: forward vs aft on NCL Sun

Randy: I sailed on the Sun 12/1. Best cruise of my life.

We had a mini-suite forward, two cabins behind the front of the ship. I could see the Captain peering out of his small window. .

Wonderful trip. Very little noise. Incredible suite, orchids, champagne chilling when you arrive. Bathroom huge with tub and shower.

I just can't say enough about this wonderful ship and our accomodations.

Mary

P.S. The balcony was private. Closed in from top and bottom and both sides.
Old March 5th, 2002, 11:22 AM
First Mate

Martin,
My last cruise I was in an aft stateroom. NO engine noise but we did hear the anchor occasionally. NO wind either. The privacy on a balcony depends on the location of the stateroom. On our ship our balcony stuck out further than the ones above us so we had NO privacy on the balcony (not a big deal for me). Hope this helps!

Susan
Old March 28th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Sky in cabin 0064, aft deck 10. Our stateroom was quiet, with no noticable engine noise. We were actually one deck below the Outdoor Cafe, and even that didn't impact us. I will tell you, friends of ours had an owners suite forward deck 9 and the wind was quite strong. Sitting on their deck was not the most comfortable thing, because the breeze was always very strong. The pitching of the ship was also much more noticable in the front of the ship. We felt much less in the rear.

In addition (on the Sky), you weren't allowed to put the lights on when you were sitting on the deck. In addition, you had to close the curtains in your room at evening if there were lights on. The bridge is directly above your room and they claim it interferes with navigation. Take the back, 0064, take the back, take the back!
Old March 28th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: forward vs aft on NCL Sun

Just to let you know, Sky 0064 and Sun 0065 are essentially the same type penthouse suites.
Old April 25th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Gael

Default Re: Re: forward vs aft on NCL Sun

We're in an owners suite on the Sun and have never sailed in a suite before. Do you know what perks come with the owners suite other than the butler and concierge?

Thanks,
Gael