Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2002, 01:31 AM
Bernard Jassmann

Default ss norway

we are booked 4/21/02 and are first time crusiers.
any tips for this ship?
Thanks,
Bernie
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2002, 10:37 AM
majj

Default Re: ss norway

Just realize that this ship is not going to be like the "Lust for Life" commercials you see on tv for RCCL. This is our favorite ship, and I mean a true ship, not a floating amusement park: no rockclimbing or rollerblading. Read reviews at this site, as well as Cruise Critic and cruise-addicts (taken with a grain of salt) and just be aware of what to expect. Expect a great time, and you will have one. Email me if you have any specific questions.

Jill
Old March 12th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Captain

Seeing this is your first cruise go with an open mind. Many people prefer the new mega ships with all the toys, but there is something to be said for the older ship. I love the older ships and prefer to sail on them. I am booked on the Norway but have not sailed her. I have sailed on ships much older and always had a great time. As I said keep an open mind relax and enjoy the cruise.
Old March 14th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

PRAY
Old March 15th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Default Re: Re: ss norway

Welcome to the most wonderful way to vacation!
You are in for a purist's delight. The BLUE LADY is the last of the classic ships..note, she is not a floating cargo ship with windows or a skyscraper laid on her side that floats....she is a ship!
Her original design was for Transatlantic crossings, thus her length...1036 feet..till longer than the monsters out there today.
Enjoy the Cafe international..take in high tea at least once.
Be sure to make reservations and dine at Le Bistro
Don't miss the chance to stroll the prominades late in the evening.
The sports ba offers really great fun in the evenings.
Call NCL and confirm the size of your cabin..the NORWAY has cabins that are as sall as 68 sq ft and up...very few absolutely identical!

Bon Voyage!
Old March 15th, 2002, 11:34 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: Re: ss norway

We were on this ship about 5 years ago, so I can't say how she is holding up. But we had seen her the year before at sea on a rather misty day & she looked fabulous. Like a big oceanliner from the Titanic days. Very impressive! But when we first boarded her the next year, I must admit, at first I was really wondering if we were going to like her that much. I had been told how great she was, & at first I just wasn't exactly bowled over. HOWEVER, my husband & I both had a WONDERFUL time! She grows on you! (Esp. if you get a great price like we did!) I esp. liked the long promenades. Dining rooms are very nice, & the open air luncheon/buffet area above the pool is nice. Be sure to find out right away how to maneurver up to the TOP of the ship. There is a huge deck up there near the smoke stacks w/hot tubs, etc. You can kind of get away from it all up there & the views are fantastic. You work your way almost all the way up, then have to get to this one central elevator to get up there. (Ask someone to show you if you can't find it. ) Though he was popular before my time, they did some classy Frank Sinatra/jazz style stuff in this one lounge & it was very enjoyable. Also there was a Broadway style play one night as entertainment, which was very good. (Don't know if they still do plays on NCL?) We were surprised to find the disco was the livliest one we had & have ever been in on a ship, too, though it is on a lower deck. (Guess that can depend upon who is sailing when you do.) Anyway, the poster who wrote about the different cabin configurations is really right. You need to book w/someone who KNOWS those cabins. The agent we used at the time even told us there were certain bathrooms where the water pressure wasn't as good, etc. Have a wonderful time. The cruise will be what you make it, but all the ingredients for a great time will be available. Bon Voyage!
Old March 17th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: ss norway

No more need be said, you are absolutely correct, PRAY!
Old May 16th, 2002, 01:35 PM
jayAND LYNDA

hi we were on the norway about 5 years ago and had a GREAT TIME.
the food was wonderful the scheduling in events was very good.

we went on the celebrity a few years ago, although the food semed a bit better, than the norway,(the norway was very good) the celebrity functions seemed "too Hip" and rushed and the scheduling wasnt thought out and the cabin stunk.

PLEASE EMAIL FOR A MORE EXTENSIVE CRITQUE!!!!!!!!!!!
JAY