Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Question about comforters on Norway

Several months ago we were in a suite on the Norway and I at first thought the down comforter on our bed was silly...down comforter on a Caribbean cruise? Yet, one of the things that made me feel so pampered was the down comforter. My husband and I both thought it felt so luxurious...like being wrapped in a cloud. The one I have at home is too hot, even in the dead of winter and I keep the house very cool...it's ok at first, but in the middle of the night I'm sweating. But this was really wonderful...soft, warm, but not hot even though it was in the 80's outside. And it had the added benefit of making it easy to make the bed. They are missing the boat (no pun intended) as they should sell these things...would be a great memento. Do all cruise ships use these? Does anyone know where I could get something like this? Even the lightest down comforters appear heavy and bulky compared to the one on the ship and I'm afraid if I get one with hardly any down it will be cheap. Thanks for any input or leads you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Jim Munkitrick

Default Re: Question about comforters on Norway

One thiang..they are duck down..and you are right..they are super
Old April 16th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Question about comforters on Norway

Hi Jim - you provided me lots of great info about the Blue Lady some time ago and I wanted to thank you again. My only complaint is the tendering - one day I spent 2 1/2 hours on, in, or waiting for tickets or a tender...but that's hardly the ship's fault...she wasn't meant to go in and out of little ports. In fact, one passenger said it has nothing to do with the size of her hull, but something to do with the thrusters to maneuver the boat? Anyway, everything else was delightful and all that you had indicated. (I hope NCL appreciates all the good information you provide future NCL passengers!)

The historical presentations/films were very informative. Too bad they don't have an organized ship tour, but I suppose that would be very difficult to coordinate. Also, the few times the captain adressed the crowd, he was utterly delightful, what a charmer!

So you agree with me about those comforters...kings and queens should live so good!

Barb
Old April 22nd, 2002, 02:51 PM
First Mate

WE ARE CRUISING THE NORWAY MAY 5TH. I HAVE HEARD SO MANY BAD THINGS, I AM ALITTLE NERVOUS AND NEED SOME REASSURING. TELL ME SOME GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE SHIP, ISLANDS, FOOD, ENTERTAINMENT ETC.

I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THE TENDERING UNTIL AFTER I HAD BOOKED THE CRUISE. DO YOU HAVE ANY POINTERS ABOUT THAT SITUATION TO MAKE IT BETTER FOR US???

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. WE ARE IN A CAT F ROOM AND I HOPE WE HAVE THOSE DOWN COMFORTERS!!!!

VICKIE S.
Old April 22nd, 2002, 05:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Vickie,

FIRST, PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS...we can all read your posts just fine.

I think the only way I can pay tribute to S/S Norway is to tell you I sailed aboard her a dozen times. My best cruise memories were made aboard this ship. S/S Norway is the type of ship that you either love or hate. There never seems to be any in-between. It has a lot to do with knowing about the ship ahead of time and having a travel agent who knows the ship and advises you well about the different cabins.

The ship cannot enter Caribbean ports due to the depth of her hull. She would hit bottom, especially during low tide. It has nothing to do with her thrusters - which allow her to turn on her axis quite nimbly.

Warren
Old May 1st, 2002, 10:14 PM
Bryon Allen

To be absolutely accurate, the reason that the Norway cannot enter shallow ports is the size of her keel. Just to give an idea, the Nor is 76k-tons and draws 35 feet of water; RCI's Enchantment of the Seas is 74k-tons and draws only 25 feet; RCI's Voyager is 120+ k-tons and draws 29 feet. The reason for the huge keel on the Norway is that she was originally designed as an Atlantic mail ship. A speed-run across the North Atlantic in winter requires much more stability than coasting around the Carribean.
Old May 9th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Passenger

The comforters are made by

Ajungilak of Norway

they are dacron hollofill.

I think they are made just for NCL as I can only find clothing and sleeping bags made by the company.

I too love the comforters and when our steward was changing the sleeve I copied the tag.