Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Gaines

Default Dog dead at hands of NCL

HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) -- A $50,000 rescue operation to save a dog left alone aboard an abandoned Indonesian oil tanker off Hawaii ended with organizers saying the ship apparently sank.

"We are deeply saddened to report that Forgae, the 2-year-old dog left on board a crippled tanker after its human crew was rescued, has apparently been lost at sea," Pamela Burns, president of the Hawaiian Humane Society, and Martha Armstrong, senior vice president of the Humane Society of the United States, said in a joint news release Sunday.

The two groups organized the air-and-sea operation after learning the dog remained aboard the Insiko 1907 when its captain and 10 crew members were rescued Tuesday by a luxury liner about 230 miles southwest of Hawaii.

Nearly three weeks earlier, a fire killed a crew member and left the ship without power or communications. The body was left behind.

The tanker captain, Chung Chin Po of Taiwan, wasn't allowed to bring his dog with him on the luxury liner Norwegian Star, the Hawaiian Humane Society said.

A salvage tug hired to find the tanker reached the search area early Sunday morning and was joined later in the day by a plane with two observers aboard.

The effort was called off when the tanker couldn't be found after more than 1,000 square miles of ocean was searched, the society said.

"We had the best surveillance equipment available, searched the most probable locations and beyond, and we believe the Insiko 1907 has sunk," said Scott Vuillemot, president of American Marine Corp., owner of the tug American Quest.

"It's not the end we had hoped for," society spokeswoman Eve Holt said.

Po had left food and water for the dog. Even without food, the society believed the dog could survive for about a week on rain water puddling on the deck.

More info at:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03a.html

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/O...4&m=7343036584
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default 11 Humans saved: was Dog dead at hands of NCL

Let's not forget that NCL saved the lives of 10 people during this particular rescue, and just rescued a seriously ill guy from a sailboat in the same waters.

11 Human Beings alive and well in the capable hands of NCL

Warren
Old April 19th, 2002, 11:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Dog dead at hands of NCL

But hey could have saved the dog, instead they knowingly left him there.......
Old April 19th, 2002, 12:00 PM
B. Allard

Default 11 Humans saved: was Dog dead at hands of NCL

I am shocked and furious that Forgea the dog perished at sea because of the callousness of the crew of the Norwegian Star liner. Their actions were reprehensible and appalling. I know their company, Norwegian Cruise Lines, does not allow pets on board its liners. This policy may make sense under ordinary circumstances, but this was not an ordinary occurrence. This was a rescue mission!

This is a tragedy, which should have been prevented Forgea should not have gone down with the tanker. I call this cold-blooded murder and hold the Norwegian Star accountable for this needless, senseless, cruel killing!

Life is too fragile to be destroyed casually; caring people everywhere should unite to boycott Norwegian Cruise Lines. As for me, I will never take a cruise with the Norwegian Cruise Lines. Their attitude clearly shows that they have no respect for nature or animal life, which is very important to all of us.

B. Allard
Old April 19th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Admiral

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/08/dog....ap/index.html

Being a person who cares greatly for animals, I'm angry that that poor dog was not allowed to be saved! It's bad enough of how NCL treats customers - but to intentionally allow an innocent animal to suffer and die like that...just because of their "no pets" policy?!!

Anyway, I thought this would be interesting to add to your website (if you wish) just so that everyone will see yet another side of NCL.

Sincerely,
Karen
Old April 19th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I read a report stating that the Star has video/audio equipt on the bridge to tape all conversations. According to the report, the Captain of the rescued vessel did not make mention of a dog until MUCH later.

What's the truth? Who knows... but I do know media certainly like to run stories which are attention grabbers..and not always true.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 19th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Davscu28

The NCL bashing is out of control on this site. Does anyone really believe the captain would not allow a dog on board. Please go to the NCL website and read their statement.

Dave
Old April 19th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Bobby

Do you really think it is all bashing? Maybe it could be venting. If even half of these complaints are true, doesn't it seem that there just might be something wrong over at NCL? Even the paranoid guy has enemies. I was contemplating an NCL cruise, but since reading all the negative things about them I am going to stick with RCL from now on. Not that there aren't complaints about them as well, just not nearly so many.
Old April 24th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Terica

There are problems on all ships and all cruise lines.... There are no Perfect ships, perfect crew, Perfect Captain, Perfect Food.... An attempt was made.... even though I'm sad to know the dog was left behind....

No one is not perfect.. so don't expect your vacation to be perfect. If you don't like NCL that's fine... move on and try another.

Terica
Old April 25th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Um, do you people every listen to the news, ie., CNN? As of today, 4-25, the ship is still afloat and the dog is still alive. People are trying to rescue the dog, but it keeps running away.

You people ***** about anything. NCL says it wasn't aware of any dog. I bet people on that cruise *****ed about missing a port or something due to the rescue.
Old April 26th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Terica

Yes, I do know the dog is alive!!@!!
Old May 29th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Dog dead at hands of NCL

What a bunch of nitwits !!
No wonder the rest of the world thinks that we Americans are the village idiots.

I was on that cruise, talked to the Captain - and talked to the rescued Captain of the tanker. I speak Chinese. There was never any mention of the dog - in any language - until we were nearly back to Hawaii with 11 HUMANS that the crew risked their lives to save.

The U.S. Coast Guard refused to go out to rescue the dog at first, stating that it was a waste of taxpayers money.
Later the Humane Society and the Coast guard spent a combined total of nearly $750,000 to save the dog. Was it worth it??
You tell me. It was your tax money that paid for it.
Some might think it would have been better to save some dying children or help a great many victims of famine or disease with all of that money.

The best part is the fact that the dog will be given to a Hawaiian Chinese guy who will probably eat it when he can no longer get any profit or sympathy out of it.
The most expensive lunch in history !!
Paid for by idiots !!
Old June 4th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Gaines

Default Re: Re: Re: Dog dead at hands of NCL

Sure you were.....moron.