Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Alaska on the Sky in August

My husband and I, along with a a group of friends, will cruise to Alaska aboard the Sky. Our departure date is Aug. 4, out of Seattle.

I have read pros and cons about this ship, but most reports have been good.

We need advice about clothing. What do we need to bring for an Alaskan climate in August?

Barb
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2002, 01:27 AM
BOATSIE

Default Re: Alaska on the Sky in August

We went to Alaska last summer (Aug 5, Sky) and had EXCEPTIONAL weather. The weather in Alaska isn't predictable, I can only tell you what we experienced. I would recommend the usual "layers" jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt/sweater/jacket--that way you can strip if the weather gets warmer or add if cooler. I would recommend you make that jacket a "weatherproof" type with a hood or carry a foldable/portable "durable (vs cheap garbage bag poncho) rain jacket" These are available in the sporting goods sections of Walmart for about $5-6 and fold up to a package about 5"x8". Luckily we didn't need them, but were happy we took them along. For your comfort, you may also want to pack a pair of gloves, stocking cap, and a warmer coat (or just use layers) when you are going into the glacier area or if you are going to go on extended trips on the glaciers. You can dress up or down as you like for dinner. If you want to take a walk on the decks at night you will definately need that warmer coat and gloves. We didn't go into the pools, but people did (we had quite a few sunny days in the mid-70s) if that is your thing a swimsuit and a good coverup and flip-flops. We had a great trip on Sky, hope you have the same. TIP: We avoided the "Formal Night" CRUSH in the dining rooms, opting to make reservations at LeBistro instead. The $10 per person was well worth the meal and the quiet, the Captain and crew had the same idea as they dined at the table next to us. Make your reservations when you enter the ship since Formal Night is the 2nd night on-board. Bon Voyage!
Old May 31st, 2002, 07:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to michael pastorelli Send a message via Yahoo to michael pastorelli
Default Re: Alaska on the Sky in August

save your money if it is ALASKA YOU WANT SAIL ON PRINCESS CRUISES we sailed in the sky in march man what a mistake ncl is simply put the worse cruiseline out there my advice to you is to check the ratings on your ship with any other ship from a different cruise line the service is on this site and it is free check it out if after that you still are going to sail NCL may the good lord be on your side because you will need it
Old June 2nd, 2002, 10:24 PM
BOATSIE

Default Re: Re: Alaska on the Sky in August

Barb: Another plus about sailing on-board the Sky is that it has FREESTYLE dining. That means you can request a table for two and not have to be subject to petty, whining passengers, the likes of the above poster. We thoroughly enjoyed our Alaska cruise on Sky and the money we saved over going on the 'upscale lines' enabled us to afford a balcony room and some awesome side-trips. We enjoyed our dinners for two to discuss our day, and, to my knowledge, we saw the same state of Alaska from our balcony as the Princess passengers. Don't listen to the nay-sayers, enjoy your cruise. And still another plus: Mike may have convinced the whining, petty passengers to leave the Sky and book on Princess.
Old June 3rd, 2002, 02:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to gbb0131 Send a message via AIM to gbb0131 Send a message via Yahoo to gbb0131

I agree.... I was thoroughly disappointed in NCL on my 5/12 Sky cruise. I only went with them because I got a balcony for $100 less than an inside on Celebrity. The service and food are very lacking in my opinion. I like parts of the freestyle cruising, but prefer the pampering you get with Celebrity.

Greg

Old June 3rd, 2002, 07:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to michael pastorelli Send a message via Yahoo to michael pastorelli
Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska on the Sky in August

boatsie once again im back AND AS USUAL YOUR STILL PROMTING ncl WITH ALL YOUR HEART a update to those of you wondering since my first posting 2 months ago we have suceded in talking 4 couples out of cruising on NCL SHIPS AND WITH EACH ONE WE TALK OUT OF ncl we email NCL there names and that way they can see just how much bussiness they have lost and just how bad a cruiseline they really are
Old June 3rd, 2002, 07:13 PM
Passenger

amen x NCL cruiser im with you on that one 1 time on NCL was enough for me
Old June 4th, 2002, 02:34 AM
BOATSIE

>>I only went with them because I got a balcony for $100 less than an inside on Celebrity<<

You're comparing apples to oranges here. What did you save over a BALCONY room with Celebrity? The balcony room is what made my Alaska trip! I was working within a budget and with NCL Sky I got the balcony AND saved enough money for a helicopter glacier trip and floatplane trip. I did the math: Balcony view + helicopter trip + floatplane trip sure beat out Celebrity's windowless inside room + pampering. I wasn't on the trip to put on airs and graces--I went to see Alaska the best way I could with the money I had available. If I had to do it again and had a choice between an inside room on the QEII for $100 over the price of a balcony on NCL, I would pick NCL again. Pampering I can get ANYWHERE--sitting on the balcony with my morning coffee watching Alaska go by--PRICELESS.
Old June 4th, 2002, 02:40 AM
BOATSIE

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska on the Sky in August

>>since my first posting 2 months ago we have suceded in talking 4 couples out of cruising on NCL <<

Mike, maybe you should set up a cruise of all your "clients" on Princess? If would be such a treat if you all were tablemates.

>>WITH EACH ONE WE TALK OUT OF ncl we email NCL there names and that way they can see just how much bussiness they have lost and just how bad a cruiseline they really are<<

Seriously Mike, have you considered checking yourself into Betty Ford?
Old June 6th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Passenger

yes boatie and get treated like trash which is the NCL way
Old June 6th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm with you Boatsie!

Let's not pay heed to the "Nay Sayers." They would ruin a free lunch.

Barb
Old June 7th, 2002, 07:38 AM
ted

,first off, I think you need to get over your bitterness towards NCL, no one really cares that you had a lousy time since you don't stop whining. There are a lot more positive reviews of the sky than negative. I have been on that ship twice and never had a problem. In the meantime you stick with princess
Old June 9th, 2002, 12:20 PM
BOATSIE

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska on the Sky in August

>>yes boatie and get treated like trash which is the NCL way<<

Michael, I have a snappy comeback for that, but I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with and unarmed man.

Its been three months since your NCL cruise. You are carrying your bitterness way to long--it's downright unhealthy and very unattractive on you. You wrote to NCL about your concerns--they offered you a free cruise; you shot off your mouth and trashed NCL so bad on this board that other posters questioned the credibility of your arguments if you were to accept (even a free) cruise from NCL. You foolishly decided to put your money where your mouth was and you stated you turned down the free cruise. Now you are bitter and resentful probably more toward your own stupidity which resulted in your turning down a free cruise than with NCL. Now you are on a one-person personal vendetta to try to make others as bitter and resentful as you are and singlehandedly cause a world-wide boycott of NCL. You're fighting a losing war my friend. You won one battle when NCL gave you a free cruise--you lost when you turned it down. My advise to you is to "get over it" --get a perscription for Zoloft if you need it, and get on with your life.