Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2002, 02:31 AM
thedreamweaver

Default Help! Questions about "freestyle cruising" & t

I'm sailing soon on the Norwegian Sun & can't really get a handle on a few things - Do we have to pay extra ($10?) to eat dinner in some (or all) of the nine restaurants onboard each night? Are any of them free? And what are "ala carte" menus?
How many of their restaurants have this, and does that cost extra? How many different cuisines can we expect?
Also, I understand that they automatically charge 10 clams a day to your shipboard account for tips, but are the crewmembers allowed to accept additional cash tips?
Any help from past "Sun" cruisers would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2002, 02:58 AM
thedreamweaver

Default Re: Help! Questions about "freestyle cruising" &am

Sorry about the double-post. (I'm not the brightest bulb in the hallway)
I still need help, though!
Old July 13th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Help! Questions about "freestyle cruising" &am

We sailed on the Sun this past November. She is a sister ship to the Sky. Several of the restaurants have additional charges $5-10 per person. The main dining rooms don't. We dined in several of the restaurants but were not overly impressed other than the LeBistro. There were 2 places that I saw that were ala carte. We finally found a waiter that had some savy and experience in the main dining room and told him to hold our table every night for the rest of the cruise. He, unlike the rest of the non-caring waiters we experienced, made dinner suggestions, brought out "samples" to aid in our decisions, made sure my nightly ice cream sundae came with extra 'choc o lote' (as he called it) sauce. And the bus girl (or maybe they call them assistant waiter) worked at making our dining a pleasure. Both of them were tipped above and beyond the auto tip on our bill.

The auto tipping, which started 2 years ago has had a negative affect on the level of service we recieved. Yes, they automatically charge your room with $10 per person per day for tips. This is the "suggested" amount that you typically see in the back of the brochure. You can (if you are lucky enough to experience it) tip above and beyond that by either going to the credit desk and telling them to increase the amount or by simply handing the additional tip to the room steward or waiter.

One of the things that they also stopped doing on NCL was to shut down the lemonaid and fruit punch dispensers which were available all day. Now the only thing that you can get (self serve) is water and ice tea. I started filling up 2 or 3 glasses of Orange juice or cranberry juice (both available in the morning for breakfast) and put them in my fridge for a refreshing drink in the afternoon.

Hope this helps.