Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2002, 07:46 PM
A. Shock

Default SS Norway Sky Deck Suites

Has anyone ever stayed in any of the suites on the SKy Deck, particularly K003-K012 at the front of the ship? I am sailing Aug 11th and was wondering if anyone has any pics or advise on the ammenities of this AE catagory cabin. I know it has 395 sq ft, floor-to-ceiling windows, concierge, rm srvs, fruit basket, cut flowers, bottle NCL select wine, bottle H2o and sparkling H2o, any word on the shampoo & conditioner supply? and the bathrobes?
ANy word on any recent Norway cruise would be helpful.
Thanks.
A. SHock
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2002, 08:49 PM
kurioskitty

Default Re: SS Norway Sky Deck Suites

Hi I was wondering how you liked the ship we are going on it April 2003. Did you have kids? we have 6 families. any info would be great. Thanks
Old July 11th, 2002, 07:37 PM
A. Shock

Default Re: Re: SS Norway Sky Deck Suites

I haven't sailed yet, I was asking for info about the cabins on the Sky Deck.
Old August 6th, 2002, 10:13 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: SS Norway Sky Deck Suites

Hi Kurioskitty,
My husband and I went on our first cruise on the SS Norway in April of 2001 to the Western Caribbean. We were in Sky Deck K004. The suite was lovely, very large and comfortable. The Cabin Stewardess was thoughtful and kept our suite clean and organized. Yes, she made a flower arrangement with my nightgown on the bed in the evening with her "turn down" service of the bed. It was cute. Some people get really freaked out about this, but I was amused. Albeit I may have felt differently if it had been a steward playing around with my lingerie..... The little bottles of shampoo, conditioner and lotion were replaced daily. Two terry robes were supplied for our use but were not as nice as the ones supplied in the Spa. The suite is about the size of a hotel room, with a full size sofa, two chairs, coffee table and tons of storage space. We were on a 8 day cruise and being our first we did overpack and still had empty storage. I have read reviews about poor lighting in the small cabins and can assure you that this was not the case in our suite. Spacious bathroom with tub, convenient to the dressing area with full length mirror. A small "dorm size" frig was stocked with a variety of bottled water and our supply of glasses was always available. The suite has floor to ceiling windows with blinds and draw draperies. The sun was so intense we were limited to the amount of time we could leave them open. Also the "deck" for the crew to launch the tenders from the ship was to the right and just a bit lower to our window, which did make me a little uncomfortable when sitting by the window. I am sure my concerns were unnecessary. My only real complaint was the air conditioning. Given the heat of the caribbean we soon found out about keeping the drapes closed. After several attempts to increase the A.C. we had to settle for a large table fan which we had to keep on all night.

The ship is a lovely old cruise ship, but does have some drawbacks because it was a two class ship at one time. It is necessary to use two elevators to get to the dining rooms which requires a good amount of walking. Get familiar with the decks now if you can. The Suite is located beyond the pool deck and you must cross the pool deck to get to the elevators or stairways. Late at night with evening clothes and heels this was a bit of a challenge if the winds were up.
We soon discovered it was quicker to walk down the stairs whenever possible.

The food was very good, service was excellent. We did not have freestyle dining on our cruise and had the same table and waiter everynight. I do think the freestyle will be better because you are not on a schedule and have more flexiblity. We did cruise with our close friends and it was wonderful to dine with them each evening. The table beside us was 4 couples and some nights they got very "boisterous" and given the freestyle seating you can change you seating or dinner time.

We used room service for our breakfast every morning and found the service prompt and the food hot and tasteful.

The entertainment was excellent, the theaters comfortable and the shows just long enough. Especially the afterdinner ( got that full feeling) performances. The comic was funny and the interactive guest programs were a hoot.

The ports of call were all what we expected and we had fun with all the things we did. My husband snorkeled on the private Island and I enjoyed a lovely unbrella on the beach. Due to the 4 ports we did seem to be getting in line a lot to get on and off the tenders to get to and from the shore. Plan your excursions accordingly to the schedule of tenders.

I am not a sun worshiper, although my husband is so my friend and I joined the spa for the week($100) and got to enjoy the pool, hottub, sauna and all the emenities
available. I loved the message (additional $100) and danced all night in my heels.

I will suggest that when ordering a cocktail request it in a plastic cup. Many times the drink of the day comes in a lovely "Norway" stem glass with a price for the glass. We easily ran up an addition $1,000 bill for our wine, drinks, spa, excursions etc. But what the heck it was our first cruise and we were on a LOVELY LADY!!!

I really did enjoy the cruise and am glad I did experience a "ocean liner" which takes two berths in Miami due to her size. I am looking forward to our cruise on the Norwegian Magesty next month to Bermuda.

I hope my rambling on has given an overview of the S.S. Norway.

Ann