Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2002, 10:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Wind in Hawaii-Have you cruised this?

We are looking at a cruise on the Norwegian Wind in and around Hawaii in Dec. 2002. Has anyone been on this ship? We would be a family group in several cabins. Ages 22 to 76.

We see that there are 4 days at sea cruising to the other island. How are the seas on that leg of the journey in Dec/Jan? And is the Wind a good ship for sea days? Choices between taking it easy and fun things to do?

Any advise or experiences would be welcomed!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2002, 08:02 AM
KnockKnock

Default Re: Wind in Hawaii-Have you cruised this?

I've been on her sister ship the "Dream." They are nearly identical, from what I've read.
I liked the dream in many ways, and disliked her in many ways.

Likes: The cabins, especially outside, were very spacious and comfortable. The beds were great for a cruise ship.I liked the sitting area by the window that had a curtain so that one could sleep while one is reading or doing other morning activities by the window. The ship was generally well maintained, except that bed skirts,linnens were a little tired.

Tours were acceptable, but not exceptional.

Dislikes: The food is generally of poor quality. The buffets are gastly, chaotic,and poorly organized. (A food fight waiting to happen)The ONLY good food is in "Le Bistro" restaurant. the ship smells of cigarette smoke in many public areas, and service is not particularly attentive or friendly.

Ironically, The breakfasts in "Le Bistro" were the best I've had on any ship, amywhere.

If you have specific questions, e-mail me or call 360 604-7041
Old July 30th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Passenger

We are on the wind 03/03/03, I hope you get alot of answers because I have the same questions!!
Old July 30th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Admiral

I've done this cruise on the Wind. First let me say that the destinations and excursions
are simply fabulous. Rooms on this ship are spacious and comfortable. There are a number of dining options so variety is not a problem. Norwegian's food and service is not on par with say Celebrity, but, it is not Bad. It's fine. The ship is not huge , but has several lounges, a nice show room and ok shops as well. There were Hawaiin themed activities and entertainment on board. Nice quiet pool on the stern of the ship. Attracts adults and very few kids as it is a bit off the beaten path. Pool midships had entertainment , music, and was close to pizzaria , afternoon ice cream and barbeque lunches on sea days. I love sea days so the days down and back to Fanning Island were great. To add to your experience try and plan an extra two nights on Oahu and take an all day full island tour or at the very least take in Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Cultural Center. Enjoy your cruise.
Old July 30th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you friends! These are helpful comments and we will be happy to get some more.

For some reason, there just isn't a lot out there on the Norwegian Wind for this Hawaii route and what is on line varies tremendously!

I will keep watching.

Beth
Old August 1st, 2002, 01:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Wind in Hawaii-Have you cruised this?

Beth...........are you doing the 10 or 11 day Hawaii?
Old August 1st, 2002, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Wind in Hawaii-Have you cruised this?

We don't have reservations. Still trying to find out enough about the ship and decide if it is in our budget. Any tips?
Old August 2nd, 2002, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Wind in Hawaii-Have you cruised this?

Don't have any tips yet, I am not having too much luck finding other people who have cruised this itinerary/ship before, they all seem to go to Alaska. Oh well a bad day of vacation (is there such a thing?) is still better than a good day at work. If I get any good tips I will pass them on though.
Old August 5th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Admiral

I got an Email today from Norwegian advertising the 10 day Hawaii on the Wind from $799 pp inside cabin. Now might be the time to price that cruise.
Old August 5th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Wind in Hawaii-Have you cruised this?

Remember to compare price and VALUE! The reason "NCL" is so low on many cruises is that the value is NOT there, just the low price. We are doing Ensenada to Hawaii in April and my TA matched a price I found on this web-site. It will be on "Carnival's Spirit" which I admit I have not cruised on BUT my 2 prior "Carnival" cruises were fine whereas the only 2 I have done with "NCL" were atrocious (Gawd help you if you ned a problem rectified while onboard). My loyalty WAS to "RCI" so I will say IF you can find a deal on the "Radiance," there is nothing in the price range to compare to her.

Leaving Friday (9th) on last "RCI" cruise...tis a shame I can't get excited about it, Robbie
Old August 5th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for your honesty. We have pretty much decided that will be too expensive for us even at that price. And my husband shared your concerns. Great ports tho. :^)

We have been on the Radiance! It is a beautiful ship. Unfortunately, we are working in a narrow window of time and distance because two members of our party are still in college. No Radiance trips at the best times.

We are currently looking at a Celebrity Galaxy cruise out of Charleston - we could drive there and save airfair.

Last RCI cruise? Why?? Maybe I have seen your posts before - do/did you work for them?

Thanks,
Beth
Old August 9th, 2002, 09:33 AM
First Mate

Hmmm, I've paid less on both Celebrity and HAL, they must be sub standard as well.

Cruise pricing is not always about quality, especially in the Fall and especially on 10 day cruises with a Mass Market cruiseline.
Old October 2nd, 2002, 01:06 PM
al heinlein

this is for knock-knock- they serve breakfast in le bistro? is this something new?what are they? french eggs? seriously, im booked on the wind for hawaii 4/4/03 superior outside for 869pp and im looking for all the info i can get. thanks