Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Passenger

Default grand cayman and Roatan snorkling

have read that there are some good snorkling sites on Grand Cayman that you can walk to from the docks. I read that Eden Rock and Devil's grotto to the south has lockers at a dive shop. But at the other sites, what do people do with their valuables? I can swim with my cash, but I am thinking of my camera, mostly, and just my backpack.

Any other suggestions or tips about snorkling on our own (not with an excursion) in Grand Cayman?

Also, any tips for Roatan snorkling? I have heard mixed messages about Tabyana BEach. Some say you can't go there unless you pay for the excursion, but other people say it is public and you can take a cab there.

Here's a silly question - I have read something about a snorkling vest. Is this some sort of vest that inflates in an emergency? Should I be worried about swimming to the coral reefs a few hundred feet off shore without any type of floatation? (I am an excellent swimmer).

Are fins needed? I hear they sometimes just get in the way and sometimes damage the coral when people are careless. But if the coral is very far from shore, it would take a while to get there without fins.

Thanks
Cathy
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: grand cayman and Roatan snorkling

Let's see how much I can help you with. On Grand Cayman make a right off the tender pier and walk a short distance to the dive shop. There are steps going into the water.
Not really a beach. There are lockers, food and of course a dive shop here.
Almost anywhere on 7 mile beach is good snorkeling. I suggest you go with a group and someone be the designated "watcher" of your stuff, or leave valuables on board, or take an organized tour and they will watch your stuff.
Can't help with Roaaton.
Snorkel vest is an inflatable vest, worn deflated if you want to "dive". partially inflated if you want to surface snorkel and can use a little assistance and fully inflated to just surface snorkel or if you need "help". I highly suggest wearing one. The cost about $35
and pack flat when deflated.
Fins, if you are going to stay in the water a while , want to cover distances effortessly,
want to dive down at all, I highly recommend you swm with fins.(this stuff is usually supplied if you go on an organized tour, can be rented on some ships, can often be rented at full service beaches and dive shops.
Have a wonderful cruise
Old September 14th, 2002, 05:11 PM
nmNita

Default Re: Re: grand cayman and Roatan snorkling

I think your question about Grand Cayman has been answereed. As for Roatan, I would suggest the Tabayana Tour just because it is easier. I have done both. Last time we just hired someone to take us to a different beach. It was safe, but we put our valuables in the plastic (small) box type holders you can wear around your neck and used underwater disposable cameras. It's up to you if you want to snorkel with or without fins, I personally hate them, but have never snorkeled without them. If you aren't sure you want to do the Tabyana Beach trip I have heard the Salt and Pepper trip is absolutely wonderful and less expensive. Just a thought. Happy cruisin Nita