Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2005, 07:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Norwegian Star: Tendering and Docking in Juneau

I have a question for any recent Norwegian Star cruisers. I have heard that you tender for the first part of the day in Juneau and then dock in the afternoon. Is this correct and if so, what time did you dock?

Thanks,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2005, 02:44 AM
yoshi

Default Re: Norwegian Star: Tendering and Docking in Juneau

we were on the star 2 wks ago for alaska & we tendered 2 hrs 15 mins before the ship docked at approx 2:30 pm. if you don't want to wait for the ship to dock, make sure to get tender tickets for your party at the reception desk (grand atrium) early.

we also tendered in ketchikan but the tender tickets was not required for some reason. we had them anyway just in case. have fun!
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:15 PM
wbanahan

Star gets to Juneau about 12 noon, It has to wait for the Spirit to leave the doc at 2pm,so they use tenders until than. Get your tender passs early because they do it by numbers. We had a high # , had to wait for her to doc around 3pm(Spirit had a problem so it was late leaving. ) Tenders are fun and safe.
Old July 16th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Uf

I just recently returned from the June 26th sailing of the Norwegian Star. Let me just say it was a fabulous trip.

First of all, we arrived in Juneau at 12:00 pm and yes, you will tender until the Norwegian Spirit departs at 2:00 pm. The NCL Star then repositions to AJ Dock at 2:30 pm. You'll want to get your tender tickets early so you can be among the first off.

AJ Dock is not within walking distance of downtown Juneau, but NCL (among other cruise lines like Holland America and Princess who use the dock as well on other days) has non-stop bus service from the Mt. Roberts Tramway in downtown Juneau to AJ Dock and the Norwegian Star. The bus ride is a whopping 2 minutes, 45 seconds. Yes, I timed it. The wait for any bus is less than 5 minutes. It is not at all inconvenient.

Note, if you get off the tender and have a late shore excursions, you will need to go back to the ship to catch your excursion. Again, not a big deal.

Recommendation, if you have time, take the Mt. Roberts Tramway to the top of Juneau. Approximately $23.00 / adult and $14/kids. Great view of Juneau and you can get watch the Star move into position. Super hiking trails too.

Finally, whatever you do, DO NOT MISS THE BUCHART GARDENS WITH FIREWORKS TOUR IN VICTORIA. From 10:15 pm to 10:45 pm, you will see the most amazing display of fireworks in your life. DO NOT MISS IT. Every Saturday night. The last one is September 4th. DO NOT MISS IT. It's the perfect way to cap off the cruise.

Here is a picture of the NCL Star in Juneau Bay from the Top of Mt. Roberts.

Enjoy your cruise. We had a blast.

Uf Tukel
AlaskaCruises.com

Old July 16th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you UF

I appreciate it. We are very excited about the upcoming cruise. Unfortunately we will be too late for the fireworks tour.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me