Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2002, 09:54 PM
giglet

Default NCL Dawn Maiden Voyage 12/21

I have on hold reservations for the launch of the NCL Dawn on 12/21. I was curious if anyone has been on one of the other launches such as the Sun and can give any input on how organized, or dis-organized the cruise was as they worked out the many kinks in the processes/service/ship on its maiden voyage?

Not that the situations on the Sun launch would directly apply to the Dawn, but perhaps it would set my expectation appropriately. It also comes down to how NCL handles new launches, for example, placing a seasoned captain / crew on the new boat, instead of a bunch of new hires scrambling to figure out issues. Again, I know that each launch is unique, but anyone with prior experience and can offer their insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2002, 08:01 PM
SharC

Default Re: NCL Dawn Maiden Voyage 12/21

We are going on NCL's Dawn on 12/28/02. We are hoping that they learned a lot from the Star as that ship is exactly the same as the Dawn, different ports but same restaurants and other public rooms. We were on the Star in June and loved it.
Old October 19th, 2002, 12:06 AM
LILCECE

I went on the Star in April and it was nothing but pure heaven...we were going to go on the Dawn in May 2003, but we had to change our plans due to health reasons...I would strongly advise that you follow thru with your plans..it was the best 7 days of our lives. They are VERY organized and the crew that was on the Star is on the Dawn. Tell Manny that Dave and Cece say Hi and wish they could see them again
Old October 19th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Nita McKelvey

Default Re: Re: NCL Dawn Maiden Voyage 12/21

Golly, I guess I missed something as I thought the Dawn was being launched Dec 2nd, but aside from that, it will most likely be a mixed bag. As a retired travel agent and a `12 year relationship with a major hotel chain prior to that I can assure you the first month or so there are snags. This may not interfere with your cruise, but not everything will run perfectly smoothly. I wish I could be on the ship for it's launching, could care less about a few problems. Most of the staff will be experienced, brought in from other ships, some challenges that occurred on the Star will have been eliminated, so go enjoy and don't worry, just think of how lucky you are to be one of the first!!!!!! Nita
Old October 19th, 2002, 11:26 AM
giglet

Here is the official press release:

MIAMI (August 19, 2002) -Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) is proud to announce that its new up and coming star, Norwegian Dawn, the sister-ship to Norwegian Star and the third ship purpose-built for Freestyle Cruising, is on schedule to be delivered to NCL on Thursday, December 5th, 2002.

The 91,740-ton Norwegian Dawn, now under construction at the Meyer Werft Shipyard in Germany, will sail from Southampton, England on December 7th arriving in New York City on December 14, 2002. From there, NCL will roll out the red carpet for its inaugural festivities in New York and Miami before the ship begins her regularly scheduled sailings to the Eastern and Western Caribbean from the port of Miami on December 21, 2002.
--------------------------------------------

I'm sure they will have passengers from New York to Miami as a "freebie" to try to market the ship, but we will be on the first scheduled sailing on December 21st.

We have indeed booked the trip for our family of five. We have a mini-suite and an inside cabin across the hall for the kids. We are very excited to go. We figured this way we could also get out of the, "holiday family disputes" that always seem present every year. This fact alone is worth the price of the trip, even if we encounter some, "inaugural problems" during the cruise. We have traveled extensively around the world with the kids, so I'm sure the kids will throughly enjoy the kids activities, including the teen disco.

I'll write up our trip report when we return back in 2003.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 03:24 PM
mike01772

I'm one of hundreds of British passengers travelling on the Dawn on its Shakedown Cruise on Dec 07 from Southampton.
By the time it gets to New York i'm sure a lot of the teething problems will have been sorted out , but for the price we've all paid for the trip nobody can really complain.
Old October 27th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Lynn Pink

have booked for March 08/03 for family with 3 kids 12,15,17: please tell me how your trip was and any suggestions, thx
Old October 27th, 2002, 11:27 AM
colocruiser

We are on the Dawn for it inagural revenue voyage also. We were on the Star this summer and know that the captain of the Dawn left the Star in Mid July to go to the Dawn alond with the hotel manager. Anne, the concierge from the Star will be moving to the Dawn next week. All indications are that the best and brightest from NCL are going to the Dawn. There are many kids and teens programs on the boat, and I believe you will have a good time. There is a link with actual photos of the ship at: www.cruisenewsdaily.com. From their home page you will find a link to a feature on the Dawn. Enjoy
Old October 27th, 2002, 02:43 PM
giglet

Default Re: Re: Re: NCL Dawn Maiden Voyage 12/21

Colocruiser,

Thanks for the information about the staffing situation for the launch. Looks like we are going to be in the hands of the most senior members of NCL's staff which should significantly reduce the amount of inaugural problems that some of the other launches have encountered. I'm sure they also learned that launching two boats simultaneously extended the capabilities of the company.

Also, the information / photos from the website you suggested were great. It is always interesting to see construction photos. Incredible to think of the engineering and project management that goes into building these "floating cities."

Kids are very excited to go, including our 5 year old who has three previous cruises under her belt. I have a feeling they will enjoy this one the most.