Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Passenger

Default N/S Norway, Should I Sail Her?

I've been thinking about taking a cruise on the Norway in March 2003, I'm not to sure if it is a good ship to cruise on. I'm use to the party atmosphere of Carnival, cruised with them 4 times before. I'll be taking my nephew who is 20 yoa, I don't know if he would like the ship because of it's age, but it has a great itinerary. I wanted to know if this is a good ship to sail on for single cruiser's in there 20's & 30''s, does it have a nightclub? I guess the bottom line is will I get the same fun and excitement from the Norway that I would get from the ship's of the Carnival fleet?
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Captain

Default Re: N/S Norway, Should I Sail Her?

The Norwary due to her age and style of ship will be a different experience from Carnival. Yes they have a night club. People who like the Norway seem to sail her for her history and for a taste of cruising on a Cruis Liner. The newer ships are more floating resorts and have much more activities and amenities.

I personally prefer the older ships but it is different. I can't say if you would like it.
Old October 15th, 2002, 03:30 PM
JDoe

Just got off a few days ago. Only real partying was a small group ~30 people a few days around the pool. Other than that most people were 45+ and not much real partying going on. It was a very subdued cruise.
Old October 15th, 2002, 09:06 PM
al heinlein

Default Re: Re: N/S Norway, Should I Sail Her?

thats not true. there are 2 bands in the sports illustrated cafe every night, a disco, a piano player in the little club near the internet cafe, usually music out by the stern pool, lots of fun. this will be my 4th time on her in dec, she is my favorite. dont miss le bistro and a word of advice, the windward dining room is beautiful butNOISY, go with the Leeward if you want to enjoy your tablemates conversation ask for Harrys section he was great!
Old October 28th, 2002, 11:45 PM
Dan F.

Default Re: Re: N/S Norway, Should I Sail Her?

I have to agree, the cruise of Oct. 6-13 was pretty subdued. If it hadn't been for a group of 43 from Cincinnati, the sound of snoring would have kept almost everyone awake (there's a Yogi Berra saying for you).
It was our first time on a cruise, and we hoped to find a more outgoing bunch, but for the most part, the people we tried to talk with were not all that friendly. No clue why. I'd say the majority of passengers were 35-50. Not a lot of kids, but enough that my wife and I wondered why anyone would bring young children on a cruise. They just didn't seem to enjoy themselves much.
All in all, however, we enjoyed the Norway. It was a good first-taste of cruising. Food was good, service was great, week was relaxing. Great Stirrup Cay was very cool.
DF
Old November 3rd, 2002, 11:35 AM
Captain

The SS Norway was not much in the way of a party ship when we cruised on her a year or so ago. Certainly not to the degree of some Carnival ships, which are not all party cruises, either. Along the same lines, you should be aware that NCL has replaced Carnival as the hardest line to "sneak" a bottle of liquor onboard for your room. NCL has begun using their security X rays to screen checked luggage far anything that looks like a liquor bottle.

As was said above, the Norway is primarily desired by those seeking an historical experience, and now by those who also don't care about not having a "room bottle" as well.

Thanks,
Richard