Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2002, 06:27 PM
joe babiasz

Default beleze trips

I will be on the Norwegean Sea shortly and have never been to Beleze. Has anyone taken the side trips and can you advise me as to best trip to take. What about the cave tubing trip? Also, can you bring wine or beer on board from Miami or any ports? How did you find the ship?
Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2002, 07:40 PM
nmNita

Default Re: beleze trips

Joe, we have heard the Tubing trip is by far the best thing about Belize. If we ever did Belize again we would just tender to the pier and do a bit of shopping at the cute, modern mall right at the dock. We were not impressed with Belize, but that is just my opinion. As for bringing beer and wine on the ship: best advise on that is put it in your shipped through luggage and cross your fingers. It appears the Cruiselines are cracking down more so it a crap shot as to whether it will be confiscatied and kept for you or will make it through. We intend to try to get some on when we cruise next time, but if we can't I will not loose sleep over it. Nita
Old October 27th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: beleze trips

We were on the Sun the week of October 12th, and we all loved Belize. My husband and daughter did the cave tubing tour with Reggie and it was great, as well as about $25 less pp than the ship's version. I went on the half day ship's tour to the ruins at Altun Ha, and I would recommend that to anyone interested in history who doesn't mind some walking in the heat. Both tours featured about 1 hr drives each way with commentary from the tour guides, so it was a good chance to see a country we knew very little about. You can read more about Reggie at www.regtour.com. We did find that the ship was pretty determined to keep liquor out, which was disappointing since we have always enjoyed a cocktail on the balcony while dressing for dinner. They had tables at the gangway every time we got on the ship with employees ready to take your liquor and give you a receipt until the last day, and I did see someone whose wine was confiscated from her carry on. I've heard that the Norway, at least, x rays all bags and call offenders down if they find liquor ----- and our bags on the Sun were very slow to get to our room. But I think the worst that would happen is your liquor would be held, so it may be worth the chance. Good luck.
Old October 29th, 2002, 06:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

We were in Belize 12/01 and did the ships combo tour on the Rio Wallace and Altun Ha Mayan site for $65 pp. I am now seeing it listed for $80. If you have never done ruins before this is a good tour. We certainly enjoyed it. We have heard and read many comments about the cave tubing but are physically unable to participate. I know my physically fit daughters would love it as they did whitewater rafting in Costa Rica.
Old October 30th, 2002, 08:32 AM
nmNita

We wanted to do the cave tubing and heard it was the best, but you do have to be rather fit, which like Marvholly, I can't do too much physical activity. The liquor part is a hit or miss. Rumor has it they are screening all baggage now, so even if you try to bring booze on via your large luggage it may get convescated. Read the Cruise Critics board and see how others are pulling off the liquor thing. Maybe you will get some good ideas. have a good cruise. Nita
Old October 30th, 2002, 07:24 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Thanks for the booze info NMNIta I was considering some wine but now will probably skip it unless I do the cheap box stuff (no metal for scanner) I generally do at home. The ship $$ are 3x + home store prices while local resturants are generally 2x. That is a bit more of a premium than I wish to pay but I will if I need to. However, I will severly limit my intake. Rather spend the money on seeing and actually doing than drinking. Over the years (started crusing in 1969) I have seen prices go from about half what a local decent resturant charges to more than double resturant prices and cruise lines do not pay all the extra local taxes we have here in Cook County IL. I realize a profit is needed but this just seems way out of line to me knowing our taxes are among the nations highest and dram shop insurance is also REALLY high.
Old October 30th, 2002, 10:14 PM
nmNita

Maryholly, individual drinks here in NM are actually very inexpensive, but overall booze in ourtragious. Glad we do drink wine mostly, and yes, out of the box I may add. We do have a wine rack which we fill when we go to Vegas or Az (stop at Sams) If our box runs dry we can always open a really good bottle. When I was still a TA I had a cliant, (Flight attendent) who said she would take the box type on her cruise and just use "the Bladder" "The bladder? I replied" "yes, you know take it out of the box and just pack the "Bladder" I just cracked up, but it's a thought at this time anyway. I think we will take "the Bladder" Oh, by the way, the Sea is not at all posh or glitzy, but a really fun ship with a great crew, or it was when we sailed her a few years ago. Nita
Old November 12th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: beleze trips

We were in Bellize 12/01 and did the Shark Alley/Stingray tour...had a great time. Was in Belize just last month and took the tender to the port, where all the tours are also sold by the locals for less money.