Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
Lee-Anne

Default NCL Dawn

I have been searching online everywhere for a review on NCL Dawn and to date have found none. Can someone tell me what their experiances on the ship were like?
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
nmNita

Default Re: NCL Dawn

Lee-Anne, she hasn't set sail yet, first cruise in a couple of weeks. That's probably why you haven't read a review. The first reviews I am sure will be mixed as all ships suffer the first few times. No matter how hard they try to make sure everything runs smoothly it takes a month or so to iron out the problems. Know she will be a wonderful addition to a wonderful line of ships. Nita
Old December 10th, 2002, 12:54 PM
First Mate

The first sailing of this ship is Dec. 21, 2002 out of Miami. She is the sister ship the Norwegian Star, so looking up reveiws on that ship will giveyou some idea of what to expect.
I'll be writing a reveiw of the Dawn in a few weeks as my partner and I are booked on her second sailing over New Years. We are looking forward to a beautiful new ship with lots of interesting.

Dan
Old December 20th, 2002, 10:48 AM
moneypenny

Lee-Anne, I was on Norwegian Dawn's transatlantic voyage from Southampton to New York, 7th to 14th December. I am planning to write a full review, but that will take me a couple of weeks. If it helps, here are some of my first impresssions:

The ship: it is beautiful, the nearest thing I have seen to her is P&O’s Aurora, but Norwegian Dawn is the best I’ve seen yet. Imaginative and bold use of colours throughout: for example the carpet in the cabins is turquoise blue with yellow, pink and green starfish in the pattern. Doors to the cabins are turquoise blue. Murals adorn the promenade deck: this is something I’ve not seen before but it works. There is a lot of warm, reddish and highly veneered wood throughout. The public rooms are gorgeous, particularly Gatsby’s bar (art deco) and the three-level Stardust Theatre.

Cabin: I was in an outside balcony cabin, cabin 9650, on 9 deck. It was not the largest cabin I’ve ever been in (that was Crown Princess some years ago) but it was reasonably-sized. I did not make use of the balcony due to north Atlantic weather, but the balcony was attractive and “see through”. There’s a telly, fridge, kettle and safe in the cabin. The bathroom was notable in that it had a proper sliding door shower cubicle of decent size and not the dreaded “stuck-on-you” plastic shower curtain.

Dining: the three main restaurants (no extra charge) were the Venetian Restaurant (“gold glass and gilt”, a grand dining room and the closest to a traditional dining room) on deck 6/7 at the stern, the mid-sized Aqua Restaurant, (a modern “cool blue” restaurant) deck 6 midships and the smaller Impressions Restaurant (reminiscent of a Parisian hotel restaurant or brasserie with banquettes and large reproductions of famous impressionist paintings) also midships on deck 6. I also ate at the Sushi Bar ($10 for a large tray of sushi) in the Bamboo complex and the Trattoria Italian restaurant (no extra charge but reservations required) on deck 12. I had a couple of lunches and afternoon teas in the buffet, The Garden Café, on deck 12. No better nor worse than any other buffet at sea, although it could get crowded and it was difficult to find a seat at peak times. The food in all restaurants was plentiful and of good quality.

Service: Restaurant service, particularly at the beginning of the week could be slow but improved during the week. My cabin stewards (they worked in a team of two) never came by to introduce themselves at the beginning of the cruise, nor thereafter, but they did an adequate job and I saw them around and we “Hello’d” each other.

Entertainment: I particularly enjoyed the superb Norwegian Dawn Show Band, who accompanied the stage shows and also played in the Spinnaker Lounge for listening and dancing. I’m a fan of ballroom and latin dancing but few passengers attempted this, I think partly because we had three or so days out of the seven with quite rough seas. The Spinnaker Lounge, where the dancing was available, was at the top of the ship at the bow and the Spinnaker really moved (not in the most pleasant way) in the rough weather. I think another reason why we didn’t dance much was because the band was so good: I just wanted to sit and listen, rather than dance. However, when the DJ took over, the dance floor did get crowded with “freestyle” dancers. I saw one of the stage productions in the Stardust Theatre: “South Beach Rave” and even though I don’t normally care for musical variety shows on land or at sea, it was a spectacle and I could see that the young dancers, singers and musicians were talented and had worked hard to put the show together. Attending the show was worth it just to spend time in and appreciate the tremendous Stardust Theatre: stunning. Dave Morgan, guitarist and singer, entertained late night in Dazzles Lounge with rock and roll: (Bowie, James Taylor, even a song by Bad Company).

It wasn’t possible to spend time enjoying the open decks due to the north Atlantic weather (nor had we expected to) but I think those of you who’ll be sailing in the Caribbean will enjoy the pools and jacuzzis and the terraced sun decks. I spent a fair amount of time in the gym – it was well equipped with treadmills, upright cycles, recumbent cycles, steppers and elliptical cross-trainers as well as cybex/nautilus resistance equipment and a range of dumbbells. There were two adjoining exercise studios with classes (yoga, spinning, etc) on offer.

The international crew in the restaurants and bars were friendly and willing to help, and I believe they were sincere in this. It was refreshing to see staff of so many nationalities working alongside and cooperatively with each other with no “country cliques”. However, some staff seemed to struggle to understand our varied regionally-accented UK English and I think this caused some mix-ups with food and drinks ordering – not many, but a few mix-ups.

I could have done with a lot less of, and lower volumed, piped music. It was everywhere in the public rooms and the passageways outside the cabins and it was too loud for my taste. I could even hear it in my cabin from the passageway outside.

Despite there being no ports of call, I did not get bored. This was my first cruise with NCL and it exceeded my expectations. I hope to cruise on Norwegian Dawn again.

Best wishes.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 12:34 PM
Quinn&Samantha

Default Re: Re: NCL Dawn

That was so refreshingly informative!! I am travelling the Dawn with my Fiance on March 22nd to the Carrabean, and this was the most information I have found thus far... and I thank you for it!!

Happy New Year!
Samantha
Old January 22nd, 2003, 03:11 PM
marg

we are thinking about going on the ncl dawn in august 2003 we have a 9yr old girl.would you pick carnaval line or ncl???????please help .out of new york????marg
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:48 PM
Nita McKelvey

I would choose NCL anyday over Carnival, but that's just my opinion. The freestyle dining is great for kids.

Nita
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Dan Tobey

The Dawn gets my vote. Good food and entertainment. Good childrens area too.
Dan
Old January 23rd, 2003, 12:22 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: NCL Dawn

The Dawn has great Kids areas Go Dawn and you won't go wrong.
Todd
Old January 27th, 2003, 08:57 AM
marg

hi i am going on in aug.17 can anyone tell me about it honestly people only reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i have read all the rude commnets .i have a 9yr old girl?????please help!!!!marg
Old January 27th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Dan Tobey

The ship is very nice. Great childrens program. I book with Cruise Value Center.
1-800-231-7447, ext, 125 Daleha. Best prices I can find.
Dan