Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2002, 07:12 PM
jolee

Default norwalk-virus

has anyoe weard of any of the NCL ships having it. I heard from a friend she read that they had it.
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2002, 10:00 PM
nmNita

Default Re: norwalk-virus

According to some passengers both the Dream and the Sun had some problems earlier in the fall, but CDC has not mentioned NCL as being a ship with any servious problems or any at all. Whether it was food poisoning, the virus or what apparently several passengers have been ill on the above ships. Actually I doubt a single line has totally escaped some trouble. As others have said "read CC" because of the scare many that would just blow off being sick a few days as something else are assuming they too had the Norwalk Virus. The lastest reports indicate that whatever and wherever it is showing up it is being brought on the ships by passengers or crew members who are unaware they are sick. Nita
Old December 9th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Mackintosh

Jolee : read my message of 11/21/02 title , NCL Dream a sick ship. that should answer your question. mtm
Old December 12th, 2002, 10:22 AM
sns

Default Re: Re: norwalk-virus

I was on the Oct 12-19th sailing of the Sun. My wife and I went with our neighbors. My neighbors wife and I both got what we can only assume was the Norwalk virus. Neither of us could leave the cabin. We had all of the symptoms associated with the Norwalk virus and believe me, it's not fun. My wife went to the medical center and was told that if we couldn't make it down there, there was nothing they could do. She then started asking about other cases of sickness at the front desk and was pulled into a side room by the Asst Cruise Director (Kim) and told that there was nothing wrong. Finally, after numerous phone calls and about four hours of being stuck in the 3 by 3 bathroom, the Doctor came up to our cabins and gave us 2 shots, Gatorade, Imodium.........and a $200 Doctor's visit bill! My neighbor's wife had to be wheeled off the ship in a wheelchair because she was so dehydrated. I could only walk for about 5 minutes before I had to sit and rest. It was horrible. And, we never even got a follow-up call to see how we were doing. The staff really didn't seem to care. They were more worried about keeping it quiet than helping us. When I got home, I immediately wrote NCL a letter about the ordeal. I also did some research and found articles (FDA "Bad Bug Book", other cruise sites, Miami Herald, etc.) that mentioned that the Sun had incidences of the Norwalk virus in late September and early October. We were never informed that there was a chance that we could get it. I didn't even know what it was then. Even when the doctor gave us the injections, he just said that we had "gastroenteritis". I have since sent another letter and have called Customer Service numerous times. The only response I have gotten to date is a generic postcard addressed to "NCL Guest" saying that they got my letter and would respond at some point. It ruined our first cruise. (For the record - the excursions in Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel were great. The shipboard stuff was pretty cheesy.) I'm sure that we will cruise again, but it won't be with NCL.

If anyone else had similar problems, please post a response.
Old December 12th, 2002, 07:26 PM
First Mate

If anyone wants specific information on this I suggest you do an internet search and type CDC + cruise. it will bring up a wealth of info on what ships have been affected (many in 2002) The key to avoiding this illness according to the article is good handwashing. I it is felt that people get the virus by direct contact with the virus Example you touch a handrail door knob whatever that is contaminated then rub your eyes or put your finger in your mouth.
Old December 29th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Passenger

jolee,

I was on the Dream from Dec 04 thru Dec 22 and I saw NO evidence of anyone with norwalk-virus symptoms. The Dream is a healthy and very clean ship.

Doug
Old December 29th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Passenger

No norwalk on the Dawn.
Todd
Old January 5th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Lee21

My Mother just got off the Norway today. She got extremely ill and even fainted in one of the elevators. She said that hundreds of people got ill and thinks that one man even died!!!!!!!!! While I haven't been able to verify this info, I have no reason not to believe my own mother. Is Norwegian trying to cover up something? After hearing my mother's report I would never again sail Norwegian.
Old January 6th, 2003, 06:01 AM
NanD

Hi Lee~ I don't doubt your mother, but why do you think Norwegian is covering something up? My husband and I were on the Norway cruise prior to her's...the Christmas Cruise...and know of no widespread illness. Maybe the New Year's cruise was the ship's first significant problem. I'm sorry she got sick and hope she's better now. It was a lousy way to spend a vacation.
Old January 6th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Nita

Default Re: Re: Re: norwalk-virus

Lee, your mother may have fainted and may have been sick, but believe me; if someone had died or even more than a few people getting sick it wouldn't do NCL any good to cover it up. CDC would be made aware of any problems immediately! Like most of us, especially those of us getting ready to cruise we are reading everything there is to read about the Virus. Never have I seen one word about it killing you or causing fainting. It's the basic stomach flu we used to call the 24 or 48 hour flu. You might want to die, but it won't cooperate. It hits with no warning and leaves about the same way. Of course when your mom fainted someone would have taken her to the infermory I am sure. What did the doctor on board do or say, or do you know? Hope mommy is ok now. Sounds like her cruise wasn't very enjoyable.

Nita
Old January 6th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: norwalk-virus

Lee,
There's an article in this morning's (Jan 6) Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, by staff writer Tanya Weinberg, reporting that the Norway returned to Miami yesterday (Jan 5) with 100 passengers out of 2,200 ill with some kind of intestinal problem. The article does not cast NCL in a favorable light as to how they handled this during the cruise, but they're basing this on the complaints of just a few passengers. Since my wife and I will be sailing on the Norway this coming Sunday, we are somewhat anxiously awaiting further news on this situation. lol
Jack
Old January 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Nita

For those of you who are interested there is an article from the Sun about the Virus and NCL. No, Lee NCL isn't hiding anything, yes there was a break out of what appears to be the Norwalk Virus or something similar; no mention of anyone dieing by the way. You can check on Cruise Critics under "NCL" to get the web site and read the report. I just located it...........

Nita
Old January 6th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Nita

Kim/Jack, I would be concerned as well. So far I don't think any ships out of San Juan have been affected, I hope, for us, next week isn't the first. Right now we are just packing, buying hand wipes, etc and expecting the best. By the way, I didn't get the same reading from the story as you. I thought the article was very objective. The writer was just printing the views of the ships spokesperson as compared to some of the passengers. Each has his/her own view of what happened. I guess it's all how we read things.........Have a good cruise. Nita
Old January 10th, 2003, 09:10 AM
sns

Nita - Do you work for NCL? It seems as if you have a "company line" response for every negative post about NCL.

I just got a letter back from NCL re: my 10/12/02 voyage on the Sun (see previous post). It basically said that they had no record of anyone being sick on that cruise, even though 2 of the four people in our group couldn't leave the cabin. It also said "we regret any dissatisfaction experienced, but trust you will not let this incident be a deterrent to your continued patronage and will once again consider NCL when making future travel plans." Hmmm........let me see...........no
Old January 19th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

which NCL ship?