Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:27 AM
FS

Default motion sickness

First time cruiser. Will be on the Dawn in June w/ 2 young kids. Can anyone share their expierience w/ motion sickness? Should we be prepared w/ something or can the Ship handle most seas and you dont really feel anything? If we should bring something in case, what would you recommend? Thanks in adavance
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Cruise Gal
Default Re: motion sickness

Hey-

We got off the Dawn in February and unfortunately did experience some Rockin' and Rollin'. It wasn't bad for the first two days or so, but when we reached port canaveral/Miami and started heading towards the private island, there were such rough seas, that we had to go to Nassau, then return to the island the following morning. Waves were several feet high and many people did feel a bit queezy. I noticed a lot of people walking around with sea sick wristbands, but what I think worked the best were the sea sick patches that go behind your ear. I wore one and can honestly say they were fabulous. They look like a tiny circle bandaid. However, I think you can only get them by prescription from a doctor.

Hope I was able to help.
Have a great time! :-)

-Cruisegal
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Bahamabound

I just returned off the Dawn yesterday. Going down to Pt Canaveral was rocky- 7-12 foot seas and my 4 year old got sick. I would definately give them something to head off any motion sickness. I purchased the no frills brand from Walmart and was able to give each of my kids 1/2 of a pill and they were fine after that. We had the same conditions on the way home. You definately feel the boat moving with conditions like that. Good luck!
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:35 AM
trish1c

24 hour Dramamine & sea sick wrist bands work great. Do not overdo the meds or they will make you sick too.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:38 AM
lj

I use a ground Ginger capsule (drug/health food stores). Works great for any mild to moderate queasiness. Make sure to take it w/ food, however.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Michelle J.

The reception desk can provide you with free motion sickness pills. I used some Dramamine I brought with me, which took a long time to work (we're talking HOURS). I heard later that the free ones worked almost immediately for people. I would pack some Dramamine, but would try the ones the ship gives you first.
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: motion sickness

Great to know, thanks! I have never sailed before, and don't want to miss anything!!!
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:07 PM
FS

Thanks alot for all the responses! Good to know to be prepared for any chance of rocky seas. I always here that you never feel a thing but it seems from here that you sometimes do. I guess some people can also tolerate it better. Thanks again.
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to wayneR

If you are taking pills I suggest you take them one hour before sailing. this way you wont get sick. If you take them after your sick it takes some time to work. The braclets work good also. My wife gets sea sick, but if she uses the bracelet she dosnt get sick.
But thats in high seas. If the sea is calm, you dont even know your on a ship.
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:26 AM
JimInBuffalo

There is also a product called "Relief-Band" that is electronic. It looks like a wristwatch that you wear and it sends an electric pulse into your wrist that blocks the nerve that triggers the nasea in your brain.

These are more expensive, about $50-70 U.S. but they have the advantage of working within minutes of putting them on. Also, you don't have to use it if the seas are calm. the patch and Dramamine have to be used pro-actively.

The Relief band works so well that you can use them for "motion-simulator" rides at amusement parks and they market them for use against morning sicknes since it is an drug-free type of relief.
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:17 PM
First Mate

Before my cruise to Bermuda, I took two Bonine chewables, and repeated the dosage the next morning.

Did the same for the return trip, and experienced absolutely no seasickness.
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Passenger

I plan to take Bonine on my cruise to Bermuda but would like to know if you can take Bonine and Ginger at the same time or is it better to use only one. I don't want to overdo it.
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:26 AM
First Mate

Terry, You might want to check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Bonine taken as directed worked well for me.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Aline

I am the QUEEN of motion sickness and have tried every drug, seaband and home remedy known to man.
Finally, I found my salvation at www.motionmagique.com and haven't looked back since. My hubby is so thrilled that we can travel without my head stuck in a barf bag. Now my kids aren't embarrassed to bring their friends along either.
After years of being homebound, I want to scream to all fellow sufferers that positive relief is available, deceptively simple and totally safe. Happy travelling! Aline
Old June 6th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to flutegirl624

I am going on the Norwegian Sea June 12th. My mom got me the things that go behind the ear. She went on her 1st cruise in1998 and it worked great for her. You need to wear it the day before the cruise and the day after, though, to get your body used to the change.
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Passenger

Hi,
I was wondering if you were going Sunday June 18, 2004. I'm going with a large group. I'm 23 and this is my first cruise I'm going to use the patch and hopefully it will work.
Good luck

Krissy
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:51 PM
fourtimer

I have had problems in then past. What works for me is ginger capsules. I was on the Dawn 5/30 and it's such a large ship that you hardly feel any rocking. I always get a room in the middle of the ship lower deck - less swaying felt.
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:17 PM
JoanF

I am interested in this motion magique product that was mentioned. I went on the website but it tells you nothing about what it is. Can you explain what sort of product it is? Is it herbal, or what? I hate to order it with no information about it.
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to wayneR

What they give you is a bag of 100% vigin wool. They tell you to put a piece of it in your ear. This is suppose to to block out the signals sent to the inner ear. Motion sickness is suppose tobe casued by signals sent to the inner ear. I have no idea if this works.
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:21 PM
FS

I am on the dawn right NOW and sending this from the internet cafe. We do have calm seas but I must say I forget that I am on a ship. You cant feel a thing! hopefully it continues.
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Krisitna

Default Re: Re: motion sickness

We were on the Dawn at the same time How did you like it? It was my first cruise and I had a blast. Did you get a chance to see Fabio Zini perform? He was good. If you watched Kareoke you might have seen me, and if you sang I might have seen you, lol. I hope you had as much fun as i did.
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Alfie

This weekend my wife tried this Motion Magique from www.motionmagique.com because she had tried everything else with mixed results. We used to have to stop every 20 minutes to let her ralph. Before, she couldn't even try to read a stop sign without hurling, and if she didn't stay focussed on the road she was in big trouble. This weekend she was navigating maps and even knitting golf club covers for me. We went over 500 miles without any queasiness at all !!
She is so ecstatic about it, a cruise is next on our agenda !
Alfie
Old November 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Oscar

I also gave this Motion Magique a try and "Goodbye motion sickness forever"! !
I am 54 years old and have always had problems with sitting in a back seat, being on a smelly bus, or on a boat or plane.
It is like someone has opened my cage, released by bonds and set me free. And it will work for anyone, anywhere, anytime.
It is definitely the best $8.95 I ever spent!
Oscar