Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Advice: Norwegian Sun vs. Norwegian Dawn

Hi everyone,
I've been reading your posts and they are very helpful!

I will be going on my first cruise in March and have the option of either cruising the Norwegian Dawn (Ocho Rios, George Town, Costa Maya, Cozumel) or Norwegian Sun (George Town, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel). I was wondering if any of you veterans have any words of advice between the two ships, or the ports we'd be visiting on each. Any advice at all would be helpful, thanks.

Also - how safe would we be to wait until we're on the ship to book shore excursions? The reason I can't book them early is because this is supposed to be a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday-I would like us to be able to decide on our shore excursions together. I'm a little worried about the better excursions filling up though.

One last silly question - should we bring our own beach towels (for the pool)?

Thanks a million for any words of advice you guys might have for me! Happy sailings to all....

Jeanne
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Dan Tobey
Default Re: Advice: Norwegian Sun vs. Norwegian Dawn

Hi Jeanie:
I would pick the Dawn over the Sun. For one she is about 20% bigger and holds about the same about of passengers. She is also brand new and the Flagship of the NCLfleet, so I think a little bit more upscale than the Sun. The ports of call are almost the same. You can wait until you are on board to book the tours. You'll have no problems. What Cat. cabin are you looking to booK.

Any other questions, please feel free to write.

Dan
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Advice: Norwegian Sun vs. Norwegian Dawn

Thanks Dan,
Have you been on the Sun? (Don't be offended, I just want to know.)
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Peter Amodei

Default Re: Re: Re: Advice: Norwegian Sun vs. Norwegian Dawn

Hi;
Why would I be offended? No, I have not been on the Sun. Saw here when in Miami to sail on the Dawn. Many of the wait staff, who are now on the Dawn, worked on the Sun. They say the Dawn is a nicer ship with better food. A couple of travel professionals I know, feel the same way. I am sure if you pick the Sun over the Dawn, you will have a nice time. All I am doing is offering you that I know about both ships.

Good luck, enjoy whatever cruise you select,
Dan
Old January 17th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Advice: Norwegian Sun vs. Norwegian Dawn

I haven't sailed on the Dawn, but we were on the Sun in October and it was top notch. this was our 11th cruise, so we have a pretty good idea of what constitutes a great ship, and we would have no trouble recommending the Sun to anyone. The service was just as good as on more traditional ships, we enjoyed the freestyle concept, and our dinners were all delicious. We also particularly liked the ports ---- we went cave tubing in Belize, shopped in Grand Cayman, and enjoyed Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel. Anyway, I think you'd have a great time on the Sun.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:18 PM
Deb T

Default Re: Advice: Norwegian Sun vs. Norwegian Dawn

We were on the Sun for the New Years cruise. It was our first cruise, but when we got back to Miami there were some people on the shuttle to car rental place who had just gotten off the Dawn and they thought the kinks weren't out of it yet as it is just a new ship. As for excursions, I did the horseback riding in Roatan and that was full when we got on the ship as someone wanted to sign up with me. I had signed up online, however there were to others available and did go on the one in Belize also. If you aren't to picky I think you could find something to do, I just would check into it as soon as you can. We signed up for snorkeling and scuba after we got on board. Also that particular cruise was full and I don't think other times of the year are as full. If you decide on the Sun and want any more details, let me know and I will try and offer my opinion. Bon voyage!!!!!
Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:24 PM
Deb T

I forget to tell you- no you don't have to take beach towels on the Sun. They are available and for excursions also they check them out to you. You must return them after excursion or be charged.
Old February 26th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Passenger

Hi Dan,I'm going on the Dawn with my wife on Mar.8.Was it discouraging to find out that Freestyle Dining meant that 5 out of the 10 restaraunts had either a cover charge,a la carte menu dining or ridiculously both, when all dining on a cruise is supposed to be included in your package price.I just picked up my travel package from my agent and she told me about this.What a bummer.Please let me know what you thought about it all and what you did for your dining. Thanks
Old February 26th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Advice: Norwegian Sun vs. Norwegian Dawn

Ziggy - it's not quite that bad. Three have a cover charge. Two others require reservations but are included in your package. The other 5 do not require any reservations.