Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Passenger

Default Norway Don't go, bad food, and rude service

We were just on the Norway on Jan. 5th 2003, we were looking forward to going on anoth Norwegian Cruise. Until we got there, and then the food was bad and little variety, and the service well you could get better at Buger King. I am not saying all NCL cruises suck, just the Norway needs to be shut down like the Cruise lines has been talking about. If you have never cruised before I think it would be an ok ship to go on but if you have cruised you know the differnce and it is big. Just thoght some people would like to know, at least I wished I had before we went. Write back if you have an Q. or comments.

Chad
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Linda T.

Default Re: Norway Don't go, bad food, and rude service

Wow, I'm sorry you didn't have a good time. I was on the Norway last month and had a great time. It was my 30th cruise so hopefully I have something to compare it to. To me, the food was the best of all my cruises. The entertainment was great and our service was wonderful. We felt the crew was a lot more friendly than on any other cruise we've been on. We enjoyed it so much that we are going back in Sept. I don't usually go on a ship more than once because there are so many out there I want to try as many as I can. Sounds like the Blue lady just wasn't for you. I hope you enjoy your next cruise more. Take care...Linda
Old January 16th, 2003, 02:22 PM
suzannen

I'm very sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience....the Norway has always been my favorite ship...I have not sailed her around the holidays but I have been on other cruises just post holidays, like just yours, just after New Year's and I have found that the service is spotty at times like those....Sorry you had a bad time....I'm going on the Norway in April and I'm looking forward to a relaxing cruise to the Caribbean....best wishes!
Old January 16th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Dan Tobey
Default Re: Re: Norway Don't go, bad food, and rude service

Suzanne;
Would love to hear from you after your next Norway cruise. We sailed her Feb. 2001 and had a nice time. Food was not great, but good. The Le Bistro was great, and well worth the extra $10. We ate there four out of the seven nights. I have herd from a few people I know that things are very spotty since they brought her back to the Caribbean, after pulling her out of service for six months.
Dan
Old January 16th, 2003, 06:20 PM
suzannen

Default Hi DAn!!! We seem to be meeting in all the "wrong"

I will certainly write up a review when I get back....You know, I did hear that when they pulled her back to the Caribbean after 9/11? Remember they had plans to send her to Asia and then they scrapped that idea? Well, somewhere I read that they had half new crew???? I don't know if that's true and wonder if that might have something to do with it??? Perhaps a new "generation" of crew members is not quite to par????

I think many of the "old" crew may have retired...I know I met several crew who were nearing twenty years on the ship, from the original maiden sailing! Unbelievable they were there since 1980, the original refurb and retrofit.

When I was onboard last, I recall LeBistro as being excellent and the dining room food being good to very good but not quite excellent. The service was outstanding in both rooms. On my last sailing, I did hear a few complaints about food but I seem to think it was referring to the GOR.

Would love to hear all about you and your partner sailing on the QM2.....what a treat!!!!!
Re: your thoughts on the class system at QE....although I do very much love my English brothers and sisters, that always put me off a bit as well....perhaps that's the real reason I never went....Do you know will they be preserving the class system at Cunard on QM?
Old January 17th, 2003, 04:39 PM
First Mate

Ironic... I just read a review on cruisecritic.com on the NCL board for Jan 5-12 of Norway with completely the opposite opinion.

We always say 'it's all what you make of it'. We're getting married on St John while on our Norway cruise in March... so hopefully we will have a more positive experience than posted here.

-Mandy
NCL Sky 12/2000
Celebrity Galaxy 12/2001
Old January 17th, 2003, 06:07 PM
suzannen

Default Congratulations to Mandy!!!!

How wonderful!!!! Would you please send me info on your wedding plans? A friend of mine is interested in doing this and I said I would help her..Click on my name for my email!!!
.She had not thought of doing it in St. John...HOW ROMANTIC!!!
Congratulations....
Old January 18th, 2003, 08:56 AM
First Mate

Will do, Suzanne!

For any one even thinking of getting married an incorporating it into a cruise, here is some information.

Our background:
- We are now ages 28/30, and knew that if family would have to travel for a wedding, we minus well make it GOOD.
- Our families have NEVER cruised, and most have never left the mainland US.
- This will be our third cruise. Our experience is NCL Sky (Western Carib) and Celebrity Galaxy (Southern Carib).
- We saved frequent flier rewards (thank you Southwest!) and will be able to get all main family members to Fort Lauderdale. So they are only paying cruise fare.
- We chose Norway originally for price - if it was too expensive, we knew that most would not be able to go. Money does not grow on trees in our families. Also, we needed a cruise to go during my Spring Break (I'm a teacher) and one that went to St Thomas area. That narrowed it down. We had a TA check rates on all possible cruises that met that criteria, and Norway was about $200 cheaper pp than the next cheapest. Price was a big factor, but after learning so much more about Norway, we are glad we are taking Norway.

Choosing island:
After much research, we found that only two Caribbean areas allow you to marry without a waiting period. Yes, you must get your paperwork sent in prior, but you do not have to physically be on the island x amount of hours.
Those two ares: US Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands.
We chose US Virgin Islands for two reasons:
- it is a US Territory (so definitely recognized legally in US)
- no waiting period (but you do need to send paperwork in before arrival, then get sworn in at courthouse either on St Thomas or St Croix).
We actually took a land vacation 11/2002 to take care of the swearing in so that we do not have to deal with the courthouse the day of the wedding.
After narrowing it down to USVI:
We chose St John. We have visited all three major USVI, and felt St John was the most appropriate. Very green and lush, and two-thirds is National Park. The only problem was choosing which beach - they are all beautiful.
(Note: friends had suggested Jamaica to us, but if I remember correctly you have to be there in person for 72 hours before you can marry, which is why many people say they take their honeymoon first when marrying there!!)

Choosing wedding coordinator:
- Originally did all research ourselves, and felt we could do it on our own with no wedding coordinator. Then I had a hard time getting email communication back from one group, and I got scared. After researching many wedding coordinators, we chose one.
- Used google.com to do our searches, and made sure we read reviews of coordinators from other websites than their own
- Met our wedding coordinator in person when vacationing on St John in 11/2002, and are pleased with our choice so far. We'll see how March goes!!

Reason we did not go with NCL's wedding coordinator group:
- I had done much research on my own before ever calling them. When I did call, they told me erroneous information regardling legalities. I reconfirmed everything with the courthouse in St Thomas, and found NCL's wedding coordinator group to be incorrect. That immediately made me lose any trust in that group, although I am sure they perform spectacular weddings. Just my personal choice.

-Mandy
Old January 19th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Gypsy

We're sailing on the Norway this may for the 3rd time and have also been on many ships. There is something about the ambience and grace that keeps us going back. What was wrong with the service and was it just one instance or several? The food was good and of good variety. What were you looking for? There are several ships that are extremely expensive and if you want truly gourmet food and service I would suggest you travel with them.
Old January 20th, 2003, 08:38 AM
David Starkey

I sailed the New Years cruise on the Norway and the food was excellent and the staff very good. Even though the ship was totally full they did a very good job. This was my first NCL cruise and it was such a pleasnt surprise. I have sailed many different ships and lines(50 cruises) and I would sail the Norway again anytime. Where your expectations too high for this older ship?
Old January 21st, 2003, 10:11 AM
Nita

Default Re: Re: Re: Norway Don't go, bad food, and rude service

Chad, sounds like you just had a very bad experience. I have not cruised the Norway so am only speaking from those I have talked to, but do know the reason they are keeping her afloat is by popular demand. As stated above, you can choose to cruise Crystal if you can afford her and get the best of everything, but for the money one pays to cruise the Norway it is a bargain in most's mind. We did the Sky, had an absolutely wonderful cruise and most everyone raved about her, the entertainment, the itinerary and yes, the food!!!! Hope your next experience is more to your expectations. We do get out of life experiences what we choose and what we think of any cruise is just an opinion. Example on the Sun last spring we choose an excursion booked privately that was a total disaster in the minds of the 12 of us who took it, but others have said it was the best excursion they have taken. Any given day brings different experiences. Nita
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Norway Don't go, bad food, and rude service

We just returned from our first cruise on the Norway (Jan. 12-19), and overall we were quite pleased with the results. We found the food and service in our dining room (Leeward) to be exceptional. The variety of choices was most impressive, with some of the best soups (really hot) and appetizers we've experienced on a cruise ship.The entrees were also varied and universally well prepared. As for the dining room service, our waiter (Luis) and busboy (Madi) were fast & efficient, and were genuinely friendly and good-natured in carrying out their duties.
My wife Kim also enjoyed the GOR for breakfast and lunch, but I generally stuck to the dining room even though I'm not crazy about open seating. The few times I did try the GOR I found some dishes to be tasty and a couple to be less so. Kim's only complaint was the lack of variety in the offerings from day to day. So overall we would rate the food on Norway to be excellent in the dining room and pretty good in the GOR (outside restaurant). And the best news of all is that, to the best our knowledge, there was no sign of Mr. (or Ms.?) Norwalk! Jack
Old January 22nd, 2003, 09:51 AM
Captain

Sorry you had a bad time on the Norway. We got off the Norway Jan 5 from the Dec 29 sailing and had a great time. The food and service was very good IMHO but not everybody likes the same thing. We had tablemates who had sailed the Norway 16 times and they thought our sailing was one of the best and that the service had improved. For myself I would sail the Norway again without question. I hope you find a cruise you like.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

For the fares being charged for Norway right now, there's little to complain about.

Warren, booked May 4th for my 10 or 11th cruise on the girl.
Old January 27th, 2003, 05:19 PM
First Mate

I love the norway...it was fantastic...our food was good & so was our waiter....we just got home....sorry you had a bad trip but I believe the Norway is the smoothest sailin of them all!!
Old February 20th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Philip

Default Re: Re: Re: Norway Don't go, bad food, and rude service

i have been on the norway in the past......Excellent then..... I am booked to go on it on the 13th of April.... Still hear that its at the top of ITS class, being its one of the only ocean liners left besides the QE2 and others that are just sitting in museums. You went on looking for a typical cruise line, with the age of the ship, and its longevity, i think its doing great for what it is. I have been on celebrity, royal caribbean, carnival, and princess. All great ships. But the NORWAY has something special that its kept over the years, and really looking foreward to what it looks like to be my last time on it. I think your view of the ship was comparing to a higher and newer class ship. Which are 2 totally different things.
Old February 26th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Norway Don't go, bad food, and rude service

Our family of 6 just returned from the 2/16 sailing of the Norway. I have never been treated with such respect,and courtesy. I can't say enough nice things about her, she's a beauty. We all had a wonderful time, and will sail her again.
Old February 26th, 2003, 07:13 PM
First Mate

Mimi - will you be writing a review for us?? I'm headed out 3/16 for my wedding cruise.

I do have a couple of questions -
- did you take the tender to St John, and if so, what time did you finally clear customs so you could catch a cab?
- did you use the salon services at all?

That is great you were treated so well. Many in my group have never cruised, so I hope they have a positive experience like yourself!!!

-Mandy in Dallas
Old February 27th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

We bought ferry tickets on the ship and we were on the first ferry off the boat, no problem with customs. We were all settled on Trunk Bay by 9am, very easy and beautiful!!!!! We did not use the salon so I can't comment. I hope you have a great trip.
Old February 27th, 2003, 07:22 AM
First Mate

Thanks! Our wedding coordinator has slated the wedding to start at 9:00, as she said she had been keeping an eye on the tenders and their arrival times from the Norway. I guess I'll be able to make it to my wedding on time!! Still not sure whether to change before or after tender - she has a place we can change - but with 450 people trying to clear customs, I don't want to stand in line forever in my wedding dress. I was trying to figure out if the salon is flexible in opening times - I see they normally open at 8:00, so getting my hair done would not be an option that morning.