Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2003, 06:14 PM
BenJil

Default Getting Cheaper???

Just noticed that our NCL sailing in April has gone down considerably (700 total) since we booked (travelocity) in full. Any chances that either will refund the difference??? Does this happen often the closer you get to sailing???
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2003, 07:13 PM
ROSE BERGENSKE

Default Re: Getting Cheaper???

WE ARE BOOKED ON THE NORWAY MAR. 2. WE BOOKED IN EARLY NOV. LAST WEEK WE SAW WHERE OTHER TAS' WERE OFFERING THE CRUISE ABOUT 200.00 LESS. CALLED OUR TA AND HE CHECKED WITH NCL THEY WOULD NOT OFFER US ANYTHING.
Old February 7th, 2003, 07:39 PM
First Mate

Same thing here... booked our March 16 wedding cruise back in June... and last weekend they had SUITES going for over a hundred dollars cheaper than we paid for our INSIDE cabin guarantees. NCL gave no upgrade, on board credit, etc. Nothing. Even our guarantee cabins were assigned at the category we guaranteed - no upgrades on the guarantees (ship is not full). So we didn't win on gambling with guarantees.
This price drop occurred after our final payment was made, and I understand that is how NCL is. We had seven cabins in our original booking, so not quite a 'group' since not eight cabins. However, they did offer to give us some upsells for a price... Fortunately for our friends who are procrastinators, they were able to take advantage of the great deals since they had not previously booked. They all got suites for cheaper than the inside cabins my family booked.
Oh well - we'll still have a great wedding anyway.
Old February 8th, 2003, 08:16 AM
kitticat

Default Re: Re: Getting Cheaper???

I think that when the price goes down, everyone should automaticly get the differnce..to bad it does not work that way though. we were able to get a $300. difference on our cruise as it did go down..it's even c\heaper now but we have made the final payment,,once you do that they will not lower your price.
Old February 8th, 2003, 08:40 AM
First Mate

I agree, too, Kitticat. We watched prices like a hawk up until final payment. It would have been several thousands of dollars cheaper for our group to cancel just before final payment, and rebook ten days later.
On our cruise, we paid $700 for suites which is still a good deal (on the Norway in March), but last weekend Travelocity had our same category of suite for $389 plus taxes which came to about $440. People in our group that had booked insides paid $560 each. So they paid over a hundred dollars more for an inside on the lowest deck than they could have paid for a suite with floor-ceiling windows, refrigerator, 280 sq ft, about nine decks up. In the cases of us who got suites, $700-$440 is $260 per person more. We have a total of nineteen people booked. (Yes, those who booked inside cabins are still stuck there - but they can pay for upsells.)
Even offering an onboard credit would be nice - and my TA tried for that this week - but to no avail. I just hope my wedding day goes nicely that week, and I'll be happy.
Old February 8th, 2003, 10:05 AM
R127

Check a post under the "ask cruisemates staff". I am in the same boat on the pricing. Norwegian will only refund your money if you haven't paid in full. I got an upgrade after the TA called and complained enough.
Old February 8th, 2003, 12:21 PM
First Mate

Unfortunately, we have paid in full. A week later is when the prices plummeted. My TA did call NCL, and got nothing. NCL at least cross-referenced the reservations that were made with other TAs for dining purposes - so we have a chance of all getting to dine together. I guess I should just be grateful NCL did that for us.

This is just another example of when procrastination pays off. My friends are loving their 'suite deal'. I'm hoping my family members that are stuck in inside cabins on the Atlantic deck don't find out that our friends are in suites on the Sky deck for cheaper than that... my family has really scrimped and saved for this trip. For most in our group, it is a first-cruise, and definitely a first-trip for leaving the mainland US.

However... there will not be a price that can go on my grandmother's face when we first arrive at the pier in Miami. I am so looking forward to that day. I took her on her first airplane ride a few years ago, and am so very thankful life is healthy and we are able to take this cruise.
Old February 8th, 2003, 12:53 PM
R127

In our case 8 out of 10 of us got $110 per person taken from the owed balance. I paid in full like a fool. Norwegian wouldn't do anything about it, they told me to talk to my TA. The TA first got me an upgraded room I didn't want so I refused and told them it was not acceptable. That room was only $67 more per person. I wanted something worth at least $110 per person more. They then found me a much better room. Don't take no for an answer, the TA can get you upgraded if they want. It didn't take much for me. I told them that they got the business of ten people because of me so they better fix and make it right.
Old February 8th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Nita

Default Re: Re: Re: Getting Cheaper???

I know how upset some of you are about this, but think of a couple of things. First of all have any of you ever had a airline change your fare after you have purchased because they decide to have a price war? Second, the rate travelocity is quoting may be a group rate which wholesalers buy up all the time. They may have paid a certain price guarenteeing they would sell x number of cabins. If they don't get them sold the price is reduced. 3rd-the book keeping alone would be night mere if cruise lines adjusted prices after final payment. I know it seems unfair, but all cruise lines work the same. In fact some won't adjust the rate even before final payment. That's the PITS!!!!!! Nita
Old February 8th, 2003, 02:42 PM
R127

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting Cheaper???

My problem isn't the price drop, it's the fact that they gave it to 8 out of 10 in our group. Heres how it happened. 6 of us booked together. I paid in full for 2. The 4 others didn't. 4 more booked 2 weeks later and were given a cheaper price than we originally were told. So the last 4 got a cheaper rate in our party. The TA adjusted everyones rate down $110 on their balance except mine because I paid in full. I obviously was upset because this trip was my idea and I did all the leg work for 10 people. So, they gave it to us without us asking. I think thats why they tried so hard to upgrade me for free. I wouldn't have expected it f it went down after I booked, but in this case I think they had to do something for me.
Old February 8th, 2003, 02:50 PM
First Mate

I'm not really upset - it's like being in Vegas and gambling. That was just extra money our families could have used on board - NCL would have received the money one way or another. But, at least through this process I learned that by booking nineteen people (two more possibly), being Latitudes members, and getting married the week on board does absolutely nothing to help your guarantee booking get upgraded in any way.

With airlines, when prices go down, I will cancel the first ticket and book a new ticket (and apply the fare from my original ticket to some other flight I am booking, maybe to a different destination). If it is on Southwest, it is so easy to do and they don't charge you the $100 change fee like most airlines do. With cruises, it would have been a $250 per person cancellation fee basically. In our case, it was better to just pay the upgrade charges NCL proposed as opposed to cancelling and rebooking.

My friends got the Travelocity rate, so I know for a fact that it was done. They are four suites down the hall, same category. $250 per person cheaper. I booked seven months ago, they booked seven days ago.

But yes, Nita, it's the pits! We just go with the flow and have a great time anyway!
Old February 9th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Nita

Mandy, I understand the bit about all the leg work, same thing happened when my bro got married in Vegas and when my dad had his 90th BD party in REno. I did the work, I shopped for the best rates and I ended up paying the most plus, in my case, a couple of the idiots didn't show and the rooms for on my CC. Guess who got screwed? of course a hotel room is a bit different than a cruise. We still had a great time in both cases and I know you will too cause you have that attitude.
Old February 9th, 2003, 08:01 PM
First Mate

Thanks Nita! We still got a good deal anyway for those of us who got suites - even at $700. I'm still kinda in shock because this is the most I have ever paid for a 7-nt cruise! But, then again, it's Spring Break when all the teachers are out of school... like me! (Oh yeah - and kids are out of school too!)

Went to the Dallas Cruise Show today... already starting to ponder over the next one...