Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Buglady1

Default Freestyle Crusing, what's that?

We are going to be cruising on the NCL Sky from San Francisco to Vancouver. This will be our first trip on NCL and we were wondering if someone would explain exactly what we should expect about the freestyle crusing. I would really like to know what to pack to wear and what to expect in the dining rooms. I have only been on cruises that you have a specific place to sit for dinner and the same waiter/busboy every night.

Help! us please! :-)
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2003, 03:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Freestyle Crusing, what's that?

We sailed the Sky in Alaska and loved the ship...in spite of the small cabins.

Freestyle means that you don't have to dress for dinner in the main dining rooms. Although shorts, etc are not allowed. Think Business Casual. However there are people who dress, even in tuxes and gowns and they don't look out of place if that's what you prefer. And no prearranged dinner sitting, although you can arrange that if you'd like (we didn't). Go in anytime during the dinner hours (5-10pm I think) and you can be seated anywhere.

I don't personally care if I have the same waiter every meal and found the service to be excellent. No worse than a similar cruise we took on the HAL Zaandam. I think some reviewers will disagree with me on that. I'm on a cruise to enjoy the itinerary, not to make friends with the staff. And if I want capuccino with dinner every night, I'll order it every night. I don't need the wait staff to remember my preferences.

Tips are billed to your cabin, although you do have the option to adjust it.

When the cruise is over you can stay in your cabin until you're called to leave. No hanging around public areas. It's a good thing.

So, if you like dressing up for dinner and having the same servers, I'd say Freestyle is not for you.

We loved Freestyle cruising and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In fact we prefer it.

Enjoy the Sky.......we sure did.

Peter

Buglady1 wrote:

> We are going to be cruising on the NCL Sky from San Francisco
> to Vancouver. This will be our first trip on NCL and we were
> wondering if someone would explain exactly what we should
> expect about the freestyle crusing. I would really like to know
> what to pack to wear and what to expect in the dining rooms. I
> have only been on cruises that you have a specific place to sit
> for dinner and the same waiter/busboy every night.
>
> Help! us please! :-)
Old February 11th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Nita

Default Re: Re: Freestyle Crusing, what's that?

Peter did an excellant job explaining the difference. As a retired TA and soon to be entering the market again, I can not stress how great Freestyle is. I would recommend it to everyone who wants to have a relaxing vacation. As for not having the same wait person you can if you request that person each night, but when you dine at regular restautants do you always have the same person? Not only do you have the option of dressing up or down, you can choose when and where you want to eat. Some of the alternative restaurants have an extra charge, others are just like any cruise. I would recommend you dine in, at least one of the alternative dining rooms. The quality of food and service matches any of the best dining rooms I have experienced. Have a wonderful cruise.

Nita
Old February 11th, 2003, 06:20 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Freestyle Crusing, what's that?

I wasn't thrilled with the extra $10 per person in the alternative dining rooms.....however we found the Horizon to be excellent and were glad we gave it a shot. And the view is wonderful. We did not try the other alternative dining areas.

We also found the buffet ok for breakfast but the lunch was not good at all. We did not try for dinner at the buffet.

Peter

Nita wrote:

> Peter did an excellant job explaining the difference. As a
> retired TA and soon to be entering the market again, I can not
> stress how great Freestyle is. I would recommend it to everyone
> who wants to have a relaxing vacation. As for not having the
> same wait person you can if you request that person each night,
> but when you dine at regular restautants do you always have the
> same person? Not only do you have the option of dressing up or
> down, you can choose when and where you want to eat. Some of
> the alternative restaurants have an extra charge, others are
> just like any cruise. I would recommend you dine in, at least
> one of the alternative dining rooms. The quality of food and
> service matches any of the best dining rooms I have
> experienced. Have a wonderful cruise.
>
> Nita
Old February 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Freestyle Crusing, what's that?

Just returned from our first ever cruise on the Sky....it was great. We enjoyed not having to "dress up" for dinner. I wore sun type dresses, my husband short sleeved shirts. We up scaled it for the specialty dinning rooms. Not to be missed are Horizons and Le Bistro. The service was great everywhere. We are now fans of the freestyle type of cruising with it's relaxed yet civil atmosphere. We're off on another crise with Holland America in August. The comparisons should be interesting.
Old February 14th, 2003, 06:42 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Freestyle Crusing, what's that?

One year after our Alaskan trip on the Sky we returned on HAL's Zaandam. I can't compare the cabins because we had a suite on the Zaandam (talk about now being spoiled). And the Sky's "regular" balcony cabins are quite small.

We found the Zaandam to be more classic looking with more teak and wood, and finer decorating. However we also felt that the Sky is a beautiful ship too and by all means not gawdy.

Atrium on Sky is open and beautiful...on Zaandam it's congested with a silly organ.

I felt the food and the service was equal.

Shows on the Sky were better. Gym equal. Lounges equal.

But of course as one reads the reviews on these sites we all have different opinions of likes, dislikes, and service levels.

My wife and I disagree.....she preferred HAL and I preferred NCL which I felt gave more bang for the buck.

Enjoy your August cruise. I hope if you're going to Alaska you have a balcony...it's a must IMHO.

Peter