Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Passenger

Default 2 different TA both do NOT recommend NORWAY

Talked to 2 different travel agents today, one in person and the other over the phone and I told them I was thinking about the Norway in May 2003. They both wanted to know why this ship and told me there were a lot better ships going to eastern caribbean than the Norway. One travel agent said she went in July 2002 and will not go on this boat again. Said too old and not much to do on the Norway. I pulled up the activities and it seems to be a lot to do. Our first cruise (we have been on 5) was on the Emerald of the Seas by Admiral Cruise Line. It too was a older ship and a lot smaller than the Norway. They retired that boat not long after we were on it ten years ago. My husband and I both liked the ship a lot. It was our first cruise so we had nothing to compare it too but we have now been on the Carnival Ecstasy, Tropicale, Imagination and Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas since. My husband still prefers the Emerald of the Seas which was by far the smallest and oldest of the other boats. Both TA told me to check on other boats but this is the one my friends are going on and it is going to the eastern caribbean which I have never been there. I have always gone to the Bahamas, Cozumel, Key West but not these ports. Has anyone been on the NORWAY that has also been on some of the newer ships that can compare the Norway to other ships? I know the rooms are smaller than on carnival but it will just be 2 people in the room and we don't need that much space for 2 people. I have read about the elevators being slower (we are looking to stay on the Viking Deck outside). I found like on the Tropicale which was smaller than the Ecstasy or Imagination that getting around was much easier. Is there as much activities, pool games, shows etc. as on the carnival? Looking at the activities listed for the Norway it seems like fun things to do and they have a murder mystery (have never done this) and some a lot of activities. May be real old and TA doesn't recommend it but sounds like fun. I see that the room sizes vary. What would be one of the viking deck outside room (not the real expensive suite but just the one with a double bed, outside, window? What is it about the NORWAY you like? Would love to hear others views.

Post Edited (02-13-03 15:23)
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: 2 different TA both do NOT recommend NORWAY

I'm booked on the May 4 cruise. Keep in mind that travel agents have their own agenda (i.e., commissions) and they may be trying to steer you to a more expensive cruise. Read Ann Campbell's review of S/S Norway on this website and decide for yourself if it's right for you.

Also, take a look at http://www.ss-norway.com/

Old February 14th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Captain

I sailed the Norway Dec 29 and had a great time and I have been on the newer ships. The rooms can be small and the elevators can be slow but she is a great ship. There is plenty to do and the service and food were very good. I hope to sail the Norway again.
Old February 14th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Borden and Monica

We cruised on the Norway in Oct. 99 and we were the early 60 bracket then. We enjoyed the ship very much. The elevators are slow but you get around the ship very easy without using them, we never used them. We were in V164 (191 sq ft. I'm told) and it was fine. From what we say of the outside cabins in that area, the cabins appeared to have plenty of space for two people. We kept busy and found the food and service to be very good. I'm sure you will enjoy.
Old February 16th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Nita

Default Re: Re: 2 different TA both do NOT recommend NORWAY

As a TA, it always bothers me to hear another TA try to influence a claint unless 1-they have very good reason to discourage the cliant, I prefer to try and find out what a cliant is looking for then guide. 2-would be if my cliant asks me outright, would I do such and such? If you and DH like older ships give it a try. Do not book the least expensive catagory. Yes some of the cabins are very small, but the ship has a great reputation for class overall and is the grand dam of sailing right now. As for acitivities, as you know, from cruising in the past, you can be bored or have a blast. this is up to you. One think about the Norway, she is not a cookie cutter ship. That's for sure. Hope this helps a little. Happy cruisin

Nita
Old February 19th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Dan Tobey

I have been on 29 cruises, loved them all, some more than other. The NORWAY is in the middle of the pack. She is not a crusie ship but an OCEAN LINER, and a great ship. Some cabin are very small but others are larger than stardard staterooms. Depending when you are sailing you can snag a deal for a Suite at less than a inside on some of the newer ships. We where in a Cat. F outside which had two double beds with lots of drawer and closet space. This was one of the largest cabins within this category. Midship cabins on cabins on Atantic and Norway deck are large. The Vicking deck cabins are nice size too, as this was the First Class deck when she was the SS France.
You shold find yourself a new TA, I use Cruise Value Center. They have a web site that I check things out on but use a live person to book. This way I can request a cabin and ask questions. Good luck.
Dan
Old February 23rd, 2003, 06:46 AM
Jim in NC

Our experiences are similiar to yours. Our first cruise was on the Azure Seas (Admiral Cruise Lines) and since then we have cruised Carnival (also the Ecstasy), RCCL, Celebrity, and others. We sailed the Norway in September (the same cruise as Mike M) and loved it. We have enjoyed all our cruises but the old liners hold a special place for us. None of the older ships we have cruised have been recommended by the travel agent. We loved the Norway so much we are going again in December. If you liked the Emerald Seas, you'll also like the Norway. Our best friends and cruiseing companions sailed their first cruise aboad the Emerald Seas and say that she compares to the Norway in a lot of ways. As Mike said, be sure to check your cabin size, they vary a lot. Call NCL and they'll give you square footage and any details you want. If you have specific questions, contact me directly.
Old February 26th, 2003, 01:40 PM
First Mate

we love the norway...our cruise was in january...my first cruise & my parents 5th they said it was the best ever,& we plan on going again....
Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:50 AM
Josée

I did this cruise on february 9TH it was my first cruise and we were enjoyed. It was the first and not the last one. The cabin was closed but the services and food was very good. And the itineries was good.