Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Robyn525600

Default Norwegian Dawn on 5/18/03 (RT from NYC)?!

Anyone on here going?!

CAN"T WAIT! : )
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Susan Smith

Default Re: Norwegian Dawn on 5/18/03 (RT from NYC)?!

I hope so. I m going on 6/15.
Old March 11th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Passenger

hi were going 8/17/03 looking for info on embarkaton in ny. what did u here? thanks ,michele foley
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Robyn525600

Default Re: Re: Norwegian Dawn on 5/18/03 (RT from NYC)?!

Hi Michele-

I embarked out of NYC last April on NCL Sea and it couldn't have gone smoother.
Getting in line to getting on the ship took about 45 minutes.

Hope this helps!
Old March 29th, 2003, 11:42 PM
TonyL22

Hey Robyn, did you mean 6/15 or 5/18? The ship will be in the middle of it's repositioning cruise on 5/15. I am going on the 6/15 sailing with my family and wondering if anyone around my age will also be on board (I am 22). Only 2 1/2 months away, I can't wait.
Old March 30th, 2003, 06:55 AM
First Mate

Hi, Michelle,
I've sailed out of NYC on both Carnival & NCL. It took a couple hours getting on the Carnival ship (the Victory) vs. less than 30 mins from cab to stateroom on NCL (the Sea). All this even though the Carnival ship was the only one in port at the time while the NCL ship was one of 4 in port. NCL really has their act together. I do have one question, though. Since you are on the 8/17 cruise, do you (or anyone else) have any idea why its not getting into NYC until 1 PM and not leaving until 8 PM? NCL has said that they will not allow anyone to board until 4 PM. All the other identical Dawn cruises out of NY get in at 10 AM and depart at 4, with boarding beginning at 1 PM. Kind of kills the first day, if you ask me. No time to explore the ship before sailing, dinner may end up being only a buffet on deck 12, and you may not get your luggage until late Sunday night or even Monday morning. Also because of the late departure, you won't be getting into Port Canaveral until noon Tuesday, while still departing at 10 PM. Sorry to break this to you if you weren't aware of it, but better to know sooner than later.
Old March 30th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Passenger

bump
Old March 30th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Passenger

h
Old March 30th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've explained in other threads that NY has more ships in port that day in August than berths. The delayed arrival/departure is no doubt due to this.

Warren
Old March 30th, 2003, 05:53 PM
First Mate

Warren,
I saw your other thread; the only thing is that I looked on nypst.com and there are 6 ships in port every Sunday for nearly the whole summer. Even if they had to trade off which one docked later each week, the Dawn would dock later every six weeks, rather than once. The travel agent originally said it was for some sort of maintenance that had to be done on a regular basis, but has now backed off from that and just said she doesn't know. I guess we'll all find out on 8/17!
Old March 31st, 2003, 08:09 AM
Robyn525600

Hey Tony!

I did mean the 18th of May. The Dawn has its first RT sail to Florida and the Bahamas that day.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Gary,

Just took a look at the terminal's calendar and most Sunday's show only 4 ships. The two Sundays that NCL is altering arrival/departures show the extra ships, with the 17th showing 6 ships. NYPST only has 5 1000 foot berths. In the past when ship length has allowed they have handled this by docking two ships bow to stern on one pier. However, on 8/17, there is only one short ship (Regal Empress) capable of doubling up on a pier but none of the other ships is really short enough to share one with her. QE2, Carnival Legend and Norwegian Dawn cannot possibly share a pier with another ship. All three are over 960 feet long and the piers are 1000 feet long. That leaves 2 berths for the remaining 3 ships: Regal Empress, Nordic Empress and Norwegian Sea. The last two cannot possibly share a pier with each other, and I don't think there's enough room for either of those two to share with Regal Empress.

Added to this is the fact that the terminal roadway itself will be stressed to over capacity by approximately 20,000 disembarking/embarking passengers.

I could be totally wrong, but my guess is that NYPST is staggering schedules to handle the heavy load.

Warren
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Warren,
I guess when I went on nypst's site I clicked on the Sundays that had 6 ships (I didn't check all). Also I don't remember seeing the QE2 as one of the ships either, so maybe things have changed since I looked . Either way, I hope there's some way we can get on board earlier, even if departure is not until 8. As for the chance that we might get on board when they pull in early to let those passengers who have NY tours off, I think that's impossible (it would be a logistical nightmare).