Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2003, 04:33 PM
camilleshoe

Default Packing advise?

We're first time cruisers booked on the Dawn (march 8). I've been obsessing over all the little details, and my latest worry is PACKING... I don't want to pack too much, but I don't want to pack too little!

I understand that NCL's freestyle dining is more casual than other ships, but how casual is "casual"? Is a shirt and tie necessary at dinner for my husband (or would a nice Hawaiian shirt be ok)? How about women? Is a dress or skirt mandatory? And for our little boys (ages 2.5 and 5.5), are dressy shorts a no-no at dinner? How about other meal times - what should we plan on wearing?

Any other tips about packing essentials for this cruise would be soooo helpful!! Also, if anyone has ideas about what sorts of things to bring for little kids, please send your advise as well!!

Thank you thank you thank you!
-Obsessing in Michigan!
(aka: camille
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2003, 05:16 PM
tokathy

Default Re: Packing advise?

Shorts are a "no-no" in the dining rooms...you don't need a suit or tie, just "smart-casual"..(no jeans)...they do have a "dress up night", but it is not required......as for the little ones, the ship has a free laundry room (not that you want to do laundry on vacation, but if it helps to pack less it might not be a bad idea) so just bring along a couple of laundry detergent tablets (or you can buy detergent on board) and you're all set. Pack light, you'll most likely be in swimsuits on the days you are at sea.....
Old February 26th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Packing advise?

We are very casual and part of the reason we went Freestyle was not to dress up. I brought one long skirt and a sundress (bring a light sweater.) Most nights I wore casual slacks and a knit top and did not feel underdressed. We left my husband's sport coat at home since they made a point of saying "formal" was black suit or tux and tie. He was just fine in sport shirts, Hawaiian shirts and golf shirts. Some couples dressed for dinner, some did not - seems the older generation was more into it.

They strictly enforce no jeans and no shorts after 5PM in the dining room. Bring long pants for your little boys. - khaki's would be just fine. They will only wear them at dinner so should be able to wear them several times. And with open seating you don't have to worry about wearing something more than once - no one will notice.

During the day you can wear shorts or swimsuits with a cover-up. Your boys will need a shirt to enter the dining rooms.

I wish I'd packed more shorts for shore excusions and less slightly dressy things. You don't get dirty on the ship, but you do when you are out and about!

The rooms have excellent powerful hairdryers you can count on. Also a nice magnifying mirror for applying make-up.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 08:12 AM
Laurie Orlando

Default Re: Re: Packing advise?

tokathy:
I will be on the Dawn in April and I did not know they had laundry facilities. Where are these located on the ship? Are they coin operated? Thanks for the info
Old March 4th, 2003, 09:48 AM
camilleshoe

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for the advise!!!
We set sail Saturday................and even tho I have 20 million things to do before then, I can't WAIT!!
THanks again, Camille
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Nita

Default Re: Thanks!!

Camille, you will have a great time and do keep the dress simple. As Libraylady said, slacks or sundresses for dinner, with maybe one long skirt; polo shirts and slacks for guys with maybe one very nice long sleeve sport or dress shirt is fine for dinner, shorts the rest of the time. We are among the older crowd and still dressed very casually. Yes, some really dressed to the nine, but you don't need to if you don't want. Keep the luggage light so you can bring back all those cheap T Shirts we all think we have to have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nita