Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2003, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default WHAT NCL RULES would U TOSS overboard

What NCL Policies/Rules of Behavior would you like them to abandon that you think would improve their product??
And why do you think it would make it better??

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2003, 04:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: WHAT NCL RULES would U TOSS overboard

IMHO: "Early Bird Fares".

Reward those that book early - and TRULY give them the best fare possible.

It hurts when you book a cruise nine months in advance for your wedding (for you and your extended family/friends), and then 50 days before sailing prices for suites go for cheaper than some in your group paid for insides (right after you paid final payment). If "Early Bird Fares" are truly NOT the best fares available, then don't advertise the slogan "Book Early & Save" because it should be more like "Book Early and Get Ripped Off". (The NCL advertisement is: "BOOK EARLY & SAVE! Enjoy great savings when you book in advance.")

Hmmmm.... a 140 sq ft inside cabin on a bottom deck with crew for $560 or a 280 sq ft suite with floor to ceiling windows on upper deck for $400 total. Not a tough choice. I feel sorry for those that paid $999 for the same suites when we booked our group - that was our TA quote at the time. Many of us scrimp and save in order to take cruises.

I guess when it hits the pocketbook, that's when it hurts most. Just my personal opinion. I will probably never book "early" again. This is my third cruise, so still in the learning phase... Regardless, I will still enjoy my upcoming cruise in two weeks.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 01:42 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to macdays1

I totally agree about booking early. I booked a year ago, only to pay $1,176 per person for a 7-day Boston to Bermuda cruise for May 4. This will be my second cruise to Bermuda, and I paid too much last time too, however, the prices were lower then also. I just said a few days ago that I will never again book a cruise early. I'm waiting for the last minute deals.

Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: WHAT NCL RULES would U TOSS overboard

They may have changed their policy - we just booked early for 2004 and just got an what I think is an excellent deal.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:13 PM
scorli2003@yahoo.com

i booked an inside category L ON MAJESTY TO BERMUDA 5/4/03.I BOOKED ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO AND I HAD BEEN WATCHING THE PRICES.LAST WEEK THE PRICE WENT DOWN $250.00 PER PERSON SO I CALLED CRUISES ONLY,WHO IS THE BOOKING AGENT FOR HOTWIRE,WHICH IS WHO I BOOKED THROUGH. AFTER ARGUING ON THE PHONE I WAS TOLD BY THE REP AT CRUISES ONLY THAT THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO.ANYWAY AFTER ARGUING FOR A GOOD HOUR WITH THE THIRD REP I WAS TRANSFERRED TO, SHE TAKES MY NAME AND NUMBER AND SAYS SHE WILL CALL NCL AND SEE IF THERES SOMETHING THEY CAN DO AND SAYS SHE WILL CALL ME BACK. SEVEN HOURS LATER AS IM READY TO LEAVE WORK I CHECK MY VOICEMAIL,NO MESSAGES.COMPLETELY STEAMED AT THIS POINT,I CALL NCL EXPLAIN MY SITUATION ,FIRST WOMAN SAYS THERES NOTHING THEY CAN DO, TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER REP,ARGUE ABOUT TWENTY MINUTES, ASK TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER,PUT ON HOLD ABOUT A MINUTE, WOMEN COMES BACK TELLS ME TO HOLD ANOTHER MINUTE HAVING TROUBLE LOCATING A MANAGER,COMES BACK CANT FIND A MANAGER, PUTS ME ON HOLD ONE MORE TIME COMES BACK ON THE LINE AND ASKS IF AN UPGRADE TO CATEGORY E IS ACCEPTABLE I,I SAY FOR BOTH CABINS OR JUST THE ONE ,SHE SAYS YOU HAVE TO CABINS RESERVED,I SAY YES, PUT ON HOLD ONE MORE TIME, COMES BACK AND SAYS ALL SET.2 CATEGORY E CABINS SIDE BY SIDE.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:47 PM
Dirk

Wow, I'm sorry to read all these stories but at the same time I'm glad I just got the bug in me to go on a cruise.

I booked about 1 month prior to my May 17th sailing to Alaska for 7 nights and got a nice balcony cabin (cat. BE) for $899.00. This is my first cruise so I didn't know any better about how far in advance to book.

I imagine they're similar to airlines in that the closer you get to depart date, if they have too many available cabins, then they'll drop the price to fill it up some.

-Dirk
Old April 23rd, 2003, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to macdays1

Thanks for all that info. I am sending an email to my travel agent tonight. I am on the Majesty Deck on that cruise, and I have an inside cabin. I think you're doing much better than I am. I guess it holds true, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Good for you! Maybe we'll meet onboard. Are you from MA?

Old April 23rd, 2003, 07:59 PM
john madden

Hi,
This is our 2nd cruise and I am told by my travel agent I'm not allowed to bring any aborard. Not only am I celebrating embarking this cruise but my honeys birthday also. Why should I spend an exorbordent amount of money on wine I know nothing about when we get a wonderful tasting wine all the time at a resonable cost? I know we are going to spend a lot on booze when the cruise is underway.
We are dead set against prepaying the crew thats attends our needs. If they do a good job we will certainly give whats recomended. But We cannot prepay before services are rendered. This is a no-no. Thanks for the information. John and Lorraine Madden
Old April 24th, 2003, 12:42 PM
First Mate

I agree with you. I absolutely disagree with NCL'S autotip policy. From what I have read, you can speak with the concearge on boarding day to have the autotip removed from your bill.

Tips should remain a personal choice for the guest. She should be in control of the amounts, awarding more to those who have provided outstanding service.
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:34 PM
First Mate

Freestyle Cruising has it's good points, & not so great features.

Open seating in the main dining rooms is fine, with the exception of Captain's dinner. That evening should remain reserved seating.

Upon booking the cruise, guests should select an early or late captain's night dinner.

We were on the Sky for an Alaskan cruise last August. Everyone converged upon the main restaurants at the same time, creating long waits. Captain's Dinner, when guests are dressed up, needs more organization.

Also, soda should be offered free of charge, as is iced tea. There is no need to charge extra fees for soda.
Old April 24th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Robyn525600

I agree that soda should be free. Its so cheap (as cheap as iced tea) and should be free. Or better yet, ask a company like Coca-Cola to sponsor the sodas on the cruise ships and they get advertisement on every cruise!