Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Passenger

Default arrival time@ny peir 8/17/03

does anyone have info on what time to go to the peir for the 8/17/03 ncl dawn cruise. ive been told so many things. we have priority boarding because my daughter has athsma. my agent said 11:00am however i was told be ncl that the boat isnt cleared off intil 10am from the the last cruise. and not to be there until 4pm. help on this is greatly needed thanks, michele
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: arrival time@ny peir 8/17/03

Michele,

If you arrive for your cruise at 4pm, you'll be waving goodbye to the ship as it slips its ropes. You may have misunderstood what NCL told you. All NY based ships *sail* between 4 and 4:30 pm, sometimes 5 if there's some sort of delay.

I've sailed out of NYC many times, including aboard Norwegian (not the Dawn because she hasn't started her first NY season yet). I have found that arriving at 11:30am is usually a good time.

Warren in NYC
Old March 10th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: arrival time@ny peir 8/17/03

hello warren,
thanks for the info. i checked with ncl and they said this cruise only is leaving at 8pm sunday and back at 10am sunday, weird i thought. but checked their web site to confirm these times. if the ship really leaves at 8pm what time shoul i get their? also do you like ncl? ive been on rccl ccl. thanks again, michele
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

OH!!!! I bet it's fleet week for your sailing. This always messes up all the schedules because the Naval vessels (including aircraft carrier) always take up at least two of the three terminals. So what happens is that ships that now must share two or three of the six berths come in, tie up, offload passengers, then back out into the river and anchor while the next ship does the same. Then they reverse the process to board passengers.

For this sailing, it's best for you to follow NCL's instructions. You may not even be allowed to approach the terminal until a specific time. Security gets very tight during fleet week.

Warren
Old March 12th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Passenger

thanks again ,michele
Old March 14th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Passenger

hi warren ,
did some checking and it looks like fleet week for ny 2003 is may 21 week. istill wonder why my ship is so delayed? the sailing week before me has the boat comming in at 1pm and ours leaving at 8pm. maybe i should be there at 2:30 3pm? let me know what you think .thanks, michele
Old March 14th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Michele,

Doh! I don't know what I was thinking. Of course fleet week is in May - it coincides with Memorial Day!

So what I did was go to the New York Passenger Ship Terminal website on a hunch:

http://ww.nypst.com

I took a look at the schedule and the NYPST has SIX ships scheduled for you sailing date :
Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Sea, Nordic Empress, Regal Empress, Carnival Legend and QE2. Except for Regal Empress, the others are mid-sized to large.

There's no way for all of those ships to share 5 berths without causing chaos. It seems to me that similar to what is done for fleet week, they've staggered the schedules to deal with the overflow. Here's what I suggest. First, listen to what NCL is telling you about boarding times. If you are staying at a hotel near the piers talk a walk over late in the morning to assess the situation to make certain things are on the schedule they've told you in advance. Since NCL has 2 ships in that day, there will be plenty of NCL reps in the terminal to answer questions.

A decent hotel within walking distance (without luggage) is the Holiday Inn on W57th Street.

Warren
Old March 14th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Passenger

thanks agian for the infor. thant is very nice of your to help!!! ,michele
Old March 18th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I also stayed at the Holiday Inn on 57th street. If you go to the rooftop,where the pool is located, you can see the harbor and possibly your ship.
The night before the ship was due to leave port, we walked down to the harbor. It was a fairly easy walk, WITHOUT luggage. But it might be too much for your daughter.Have fun and enjoy!
Old March 30th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Henry

It's true. The Dawn doesn't leave till 8:00 P.M. on 8/17. I didn't discover that till after I booked...but that's OK. I wrote to NCL about this but don't really expect an answer other than the polite acknowledgement. According to the schedule, she doesn't arrive till 1 P.M. from the previous cruise, so maybe Warren's idea is right. Hope to have a great voyage, anyway. Ahoy!
Old March 30th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Passenger

i was told that the boat will get earlier than 1pm. its going to let passengers off for shore tours. these passengers trip started in port canaverl. they has 7 days trips from
port canveral and ny. look at some web sites like expedia. so we can board when get off. iam hoping i board then get off around tour a round until 8pm departure.
bye, michele
Old March 30th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: arrival time@ny peir 8/17/03

let me know if yyou different thanks