Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2003, 11:43 AM
First Mate

Default Cheapest way to Miami from FLL

My friends and I are flying into Fort Lauderdale next week for our 3/23/03 cruise on the Norway. We are college students and looking for the CHEAPEST way to get to Miami. We are flying in on Sat, and have reservations at a hotel near the Miami airport. Is there a train or anything like that in Miami that goes to FLL? Or a shuttle service? I have just gotten ripped off by too many taxis in my life to take one. Also, on Sunday morning what is the cheapest way from Maimi airport area to the ports. Thanks for any info!
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cheapest way to Miami from FLL

Consider a one way rental from the FLL airport to the pier in Miami. Keep the car overnight and return it to the rental company at the pier after you drop off your luggage.
Old March 13th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Tim&Gayl

We're leaving next week on the SUN, two aduts, two kids... coming into FLL on Friday night. We're staying at a relative's in Fort Lauderdale Friday night and still need to get to the pier on Sat. morning, so a rental car is our best bet. I'll price it for two and four people, you be the judge.

Fort Lauderdale to Miami Pier

Two People Four People
Cab $70 No Way will we fit

Super Shuttle
Pick up others
along the way $30 $60

Go directly to port $55 $55

NCL Shuttle
Wait till bus is full $30 $60

**Rental Car $30 -$75 $30 -$75

** Rental Car Note - Only Avis and Hertz have drop offs right at the pier and I couldn't get one for the week I wanted. I ended up getting a mini van from Thrifty for $52 and will return it to the Miami Airport and take their free shuttle to the pier. I'm sure other rental agencies have the same setup.
Old March 13th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Tim&Gayl

Default Re: Re: Cheapest way to Miami from FLL

The first price listed is for two people and the second price is for four people. It looked great when I typed it In!!! so sorry.
Old March 13th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Beginner

Forgive me for askign the obvious, but why didn't you just buy tickets to fly into Miami in the first place? If the fare was that much lower to Ft. Lauderdale, then just pay the cab fare and forget about it. JMO.
Old March 13th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Tim&Gayl

Remember, there's four of us plus luggage!! Since we're staying with my single cousin (who only owns a sports car) in Fr. Laudererdale ($35 from airport by cab) on day night and then would have to take another cab to the port ($65), we chose the mini van. We then can drive ourselves to pick up some Pepsi products at a local store to bring on board as well!

In our case, the rental mini van worked the best. If it was only two of us, the math might not work as well.
Old March 13th, 2003, 03:35 PM
First Mate

David PR,

I am 21, a finance major, and on a budget. I'm sure you can understand why I am looking for the cheapest way into town.

-Paul
Old March 13th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Beginner

Then, if I were you, I would have asked my relatives to meet me in Miami the day before I left for the cruise, or better yet, arrived the same day and spent a few hours catching up, instead of so much time and money wasted driving around South Florida in taxis and rental cars. You are a finance major, right?
Old March 13th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Tim&Gayl

I've heard this works OK. It goes from FLL to MIA and you might be able to catch a cheap/free shuttle to your hotel.

http://www.tri-rail.com/system_map/

P.S. Calm down David PR, ... get a life
Old March 13th, 2003, 05:35 PM
First Mate

Tim & Gayl,

Thanks for the post!! This is exactly what I was looking for! I'm sure it will be a little bit of waiting, but for $3.00, you can't beat it! I really appreciate it.

David PR- If you would re-read the messages, I never once said that I have family in the Miami area. This is a message board for people to get advice on cruising, not a place for someone to be a smart-ass.

-Paul
Old March 13th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Cheapest way to Miami from FLL

Now I really don't get it--you're flying to FLL to cruise from Miami, and have no reason to go to Lauderdale? Did you look at a map before you bought the tickets?
Old March 16th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Yeoman

Why is David PR being so nasty?
Old March 17th, 2003, 11:19 AM
TMILLERTN

Perhaps the air fare is cheaper to FLL. I saved about $1,000.00 between four people 2 years ago by flying into FLL and purchasing the transfers

Miami is usually more expensive when it comes to airfares but if you're diligent you can get the same or better fare. Farewatcher on Trqavelocity keeps me up to speed on changing airfares and with war on the horizon maybe they'll drop
Old March 18th, 2003, 11:22 AM
First Mate

TMILLERTN,

That is exactly why I booked into FLL.....It was $175 cheaper than into Miami. I think that smaller regional aiports are just cheaper in general....Have a great vacation!

-Paul
Old March 18th, 2003, 12:11 PM
al heinlein

there are blue and gold vans called super shuttle, if i recall they were about $18 one way. i also use FLL a lot, its a lot cheaper even with the shuttle added in!