Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2003, 09:54 AM
GF

Default Booze onboard

I am travelling in Nov on the Norwegian Crown (Cape Horn)
Can you bring wine and liquor onto the ship?? In everything I have read so far I am getting different answer!
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jondirk
Default Re: Booze onboard

You are not permitted to bring liquor on board. If you do (or if you purchase duty free during the cruise) they will temporarily hold it for you and then allow you to pick it up when you disembark at the end of the trip.

Not to say that'll stop me from buying a bunch of the little mini airline bottles and hiding them on my person and in my overnight bag.
Old April 26th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Yeoman

according to the NCL policy,,,,,its a NO-NO!!
Old April 26th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Lateral Thinker

You can take as much booze on board as you like

Just dink it first and take it onboard in your stomach - they can't touch you for it
Old April 26th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Nita

You will continue to get varied answers. As has been stated, according to NCL and other lines now, liquior can not be brought on board. We did bring a 1.5 liter bottle of wine with no trouble. We also found a way to get a little vodka and a little scotch on the ship. Some get away with it, others do not. Just be prepared to have them store it for you if you are questioned.

NMNita
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to maryann

The official answer is no, but my husband has gotten away with it many times. He even has a special suitcase for packing liquor and bar supplies. Just be prepared if it's taken. When we don't take the special suitcase we just wrap it in lots of plastic, stick it in the suitcase, and pray for the best. Good Luck!
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Booze onboard

Well I drink Drambuie on the rocks. I go to my pharmacy and pick up half dozen or so large brown cough syrup bottles. Fill with Drambuie, or whatever suits my taste. Place each in a seperate zip lock bag incase of leakage. . I lable each one cough syrup with a stick -on address sticker. Leave one or two openly out in the room all the time.

WHO......is going to question a doctors orders.?????????

I do not know why, but I always seem to obtain a severe couch while aboard a ship...
.....ha ha

(There is always more than one way to skin a cat)
Old May 6th, 2003, 02:05 PM
thechad56

thats great. We have always put ours in sprite bottles and even walk around the ship with it if we feel like. Plus some of the fruit drinks they make rather weak so it is an easy way to spice it up. We put the bottle in zip lock bags and put in any crammed suit case we have never ever had trouble just make sure each bottle is closed as tight as possible we have even flown like this.
Chad
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Passenger

I've got a bottle of Listerine that I'll fill with Rum and if they do a bag inspection it should look very inconspicuous.
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Passenger

I am sure that NCL monitors these messages. Don't you think?

But, anyway, here is my story. Before I went on my cruise to the Carribean I called NCL and asked if I could bring on my own wine. They told me that I could as long as it was not a wine that they offered on their menu and when brought to dinner there would be a $10.00 corkage fee. I put the two bottles in my carryon and planned on taking this on the ship with my self but the carryon ended up being put with my all of my luggage. Anyway, my luggage showed up in my room about an hour after we got on board except for my bag with the wine. I was told to go where they confiscated bags with alcohol and sure enough it was there. I told the person my story about the call to NCL he had someone else look at the wine and that person gave the wine to me and said that I could take it with me (I also had printed a copy of the wine menu from the internet and taped it to a bottle of wine just in case there was a question).

I could not believe all of the confiscated bags that they had in this area. One person had cooler, come on!!

I
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Beginner

You are allowed to take water on board....so vodka and light rum in 1.5 liter water bottles. I put the botles in my carry on and carried one of the bottles right through the security check with me (just for kicks and giggles). No questions asked. For darker drinks, get creative! Wasting a few water bottles is MUCH cheaper than $6 drinks on the ship!
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the tip Paul, I'll try it and let ya know what happens.

Speaking of water (and I know this is off topic but just curious) does Norwegian offer free bottled water on board? What's the quality/purity of their drinking water?
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to maryann

I have not yet been on a ship that offers free bottled water, including the Sky. I take that back - if you have an owners's suite, penthouse or garden villa, you do get one or two free bottles. Otherwise you have to pay for it, usually around $2.00 a bottle.
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Todd Riedl

Any of the clear liquors can be put in Water bottles - Gin, Vodka, White Rum, Tequilla... Just use the 1.5 L bottles - empty the water, pour the liquor in and you're set. Take it through in your carry on to avoid any spillage - there's never a problem with water or soda pop!. Enjoy and happy cruising!