Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:04 AM
Yeoman

Default Fuacata party

I saw where NCL has stopped the Fuacata parties. Anyone have any info. on what I'm missing on my upcoming SKY cruise?? Thanks.
SSaFWs..ED
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Fuacata party

Hi
I posted this at the message board as well

A Miami Suit charges NCL stole musicians' 'Fuacata'

A group of Miami musicians said they have filed a trademark infringement suit against Miami-based Norwegian Cruise Lines, claiming the company is illegally using their name aboard one of its ships.

The musicians, Andrew Yeomanson, Erik Fabregat and Ralph de la Portilla, described their "Fuacata" entertainment service as a fusion of music and dance presented in a combination of Latin, funk, hip-hop and reggae rhythms using turntables, electronic samplers, wind, string and other instruments. They said they developed Fuacata and popularized it over the last year and a half at a dance club called Hoy Como Ayer in Little Havana.

The lawsuit alleges NCL is trying to capitalize on the Fuacata service by offering "Fuacata" entertainment parties aboard its new ship, the Norwegian Dawn, which is scheduled to make its maiden voyage Dec. 16.

"The name and the concept are owned by us," said Yeomanson. "We would never dream of using the name 'NCL,' and a giant company like NCL should know better than to use our name."

Alan K. Fertel, attorney and partner at the law firm of Ferrell Schultz Carter Zumpano & Fertel, is representing the musicians.

Sign up to receive free daily business updates by email every weekday afternoon.

Use Search Watch to watch for related topics, companies.

Receive free Industry News via email. Choose from 46 different industries.

"This is a unique type of entertainment service that my clients have made popular and worked hard to brand with the Fuacata name," Fertel said. His co-counsel, Mark D. Kleiner, said the cruise line even alludes in its own advertising that the Fuacata entertainment service trend was developed in Miami.

Fertel described the lawsuit as a last resort.

"We tried to reason with NCL, but a mammoth cruise company doesn't seem to care what a group of local entertainers have created with the sweat of their own hard work," he said.

The suit, which the attorneys said they have filed in U.S. District Court in Miami, demands Norwegian be stopped from using the name and seeks unspecified monetary damages.

NCL is owned by Star Cruises of Malaysia. The company has not issued a statement on the lawsuit.
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:26 PM
Yeoman

A-A-L.
Thanks much.
SSaFWs..ED
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:30 PM
Susan Smith

Default Re: Re: Fuacata party

If you go on NCL' website, they have a story about these parties. They are having a similar party but they are calling it something else.
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:12 PM
Passenger

hey Susan, Where on the ncl site did you find the story about these parties... I can't seem to locate it