Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:57 PM
mlbcruiser

Default To Traditional Cruisers: Did you like the freestyle dining?

We have been on l5 cruises. Not all, but most on RCCL, with a couple each on NCL and Carnival, etc. We tend to LIKE the same seats each night and meeting others at our table. One of the best thing about cruising is I don't have a chance to drive my husband and myself nuts trying to decide where to eat (as I do on a land vacation). With the many restaurants, possible waits, reservation requirements and in some cases extra charges, how did you like it?(I know we can have the same restaurant, but from what I've read, we'll probably want to try a couple of the others.) Also a bit worried about the NCL cabins. They have always been small but after the other lines, will we REALLY notice it on the Dawn? (One professional review especially mentioned the small closets w/very little space.) Guess I'm hoping some of you who have sailed the other lines will comment. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Andee

Default Re: To Traditional Cruisers: Did you like the freestyle dini

When we went on a Princess cruise with personal choice dining, we always ate in the main dining room. Same food, decor and service as the traditional dining room. In fact they were identical, one above the other. Sometimes we ate alone, sometimes were placed at a table of eight, and sometimes ate with friends we made aboard ship. We loved it--could eat anytime we wanted and not be tied to a set seating. Neither the early or late seating is right for us.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Yeoman

We were in an inside cabin on the Norwegian Sun and for two of us the room seemed to be sufficient. We didn't have any smaller closet then we had on RCCL Majesty of the Seas. In fact, the closet on the Sun was bigger. They were both inside cabins. As far as the dining goes. we've done traditional twice now and freestyle once. We seem to enjoy it both ways, therefore we do different ships. It seems like we sort of alternate. One year might be freestyle since it has it's good points and one year might be traditional since it has it's good points. We aren't the type that refuses to do either one. As far as the restaurant choices, we were saving our money for shore excursions and souvenirs and shopping so we mainly ate at the two dining rooms. We have tried the cover charge restaurants once or twice per cruise but we primarily eat at the main dining rooms. The menus are posted on all restaurant entrances, so if something sounds good, then that is the place to eat. I realize you can't go running to look at 10 different menus but if it's narrowed down to a couple, then it's not that hard. If money isn't an object, try a different one each night. Like I said, we like the best of both worlds so we get by.

Luanne

Old May 21st, 2003, 03:38 PM
Nita

We have cruised trational about 12 times and freestyle twice now. As for the Sun and the cabins, we had a balcony on the Sun, but had friends with inside. As stated above the inside cabins and the storage space on the Sun is larger than RCL's Majesty. Of course the Majesty had the smallest I have ever seen. The freestyle cruising is the answer for us. We actually met many more people than with traditionsl dining, the service was similar and we loved to try the alternative dining. Some we met did not try alternative and were still happy with freestyle. If for no other reason the dress code and the freedom to adjust your dining time to your schedule. Some nights we ate as early as 5:45 and others about 7pm. Go with an open mind, that's the main thing to remember.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:53 PM
PALJOEYSMOM

Just got off of the respositioning cruise 5/3 -5/17 on the Dawn. Yes, the closets are small, but we put it down to 2 weeks worth of clothes. Freestyle is great in some ways! You can eat when and where you want. We generally like to chat with other people while dining that is why we prefered the Traditional dining. Several times we asked for a table to share. About half the time we had another couple or two join us. The other times no one showed up so it was just us too. The Dawn is a beautiful boat. We especially enjoyed the La Trattoria Resturant, and all of the meals in the 3 maining dining rooms, the Venetian, Impressions and Aqua. We tried 9 of the resturants, the only one we did not check out was Cagneys. My husband would like to stick with traditional dining on future cruises.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 05:41 PM
First Mate

My cruise line of choice is Celebrity, but I went on the Dawn in April and loved the freestyle cruising. If I have a choice I do not want to dress up, I do that all week in work.
We have been on 8 cruises, one on RCCL the rest celebrity. We did not eat at any restaurant that you had to pay for, we tryed to work eating around the times of the shows, so that we did not have to hurry up and run to a show. We usually always on the traditional cruise had the late seating, so sometimes its a little hairy getting to the show on time. We found freestyle to be very pleasant and relaxing. As for the rooms, I did notice a big difference in size, but pleasantly the bathrooms seemed bigger or the shower at least. Very little drawer space on the Dawn, there are shelves that hold extra pillows, blankets, and life jackets. I repositioned all of those and used the shelves for clothing, it worked out well. So to sum it up I really enjoyed freestyle and in fact we are considering going on the Dawn again, in sept or oct. Hope this was helpful.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 05:53 PM
janel

I've been on mostly carnival. I just got off of the dawn on 6-1-03. My group seemed to prefer traditional dining, I guess everyone will have their own preference, can't make everyone happy. I wound up preferring carnival overall over Norwegian. I felt the cabins were definitely smaller. I felt everything on board was very expensive, bingo, gift shop, shore excursions.
Old June 7th, 2003, 05:26 AM
marg

Default Re: Re: To Traditional Cruisers: Did you like the freestyle

hey how did you get the dolphins on your screen??????????did you like restayle dining ?????????please adivese !!!!!!!!!marg
Old June 9th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Passenger

We have been on over 40 cruises on 7 different lines and 25 different ships.
Last month was our first with freestyle dining.
We had no problems with it. We are doing it again in September

As for the cabins on the the Norwegian Sky, (and I understand that is about the same on other NCL ships) we had a BB balcony. It was smaller than an E-3 on the Radiance. Closet space was a bit limited and drawer space very lacking.
We have had smaller cabins on some older ships but in recent years most of the other lines have gone to cabins a bit larger than NCL.

If the price is right we can live with less space

Bliz
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Nita

Bliz, just to let you know: the closet and storage space on the Sun is much better than the Sky. DH hasn't been on the Sun and loved the Sky, but I liked the cabin on the Sun better.

Nita
Old June 14th, 2003, 07:03 PM
rita w

Default Re: Re: To Traditional Cruisers: Did you like the freestyle

Some of you guys must bring a ton of stuff. I don't exactly travel light but I must admit I could not give specifics as to storage space!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, having done freestyle and traditional dining on various lines I think NCL has a good thing going. I think they are nothing short of genuis having realized that not everyone will want to eat at 6 or 8. If you had never been on a traditional cruise you few that don't like it wouldn't be whining now, would you????But realize you can book a certain table each night by simply locating the maitre'D on the first night and telling him to reserve blah blah in the such and such room for you.
Old June 14th, 2003, 08:55 PM
TDIONNE

Does anyone miss the dessert shows on traditional cruises, does they still do that?

I know on freestyle they dont, we were on the dawn in may.

I sure did miss that
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Beginner

Dawn had Chocoholic buffet one afternoon in Atrium,,,I think it was after leaving Great Stirrup Cay
Old June 19th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Yeoman

Liked the idea of picking and choosing..who.what.when.where. Noticed a bit of a drop with the service, tho. (due to prepaid tips?) mmmmm?
SSaFWs..ED