Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Passenger

Default Explosion/Fire on Norway

CNN is reporting an explosion and fire on the Norway. The Norway was already docked in Miami when the incident happened. CNN is also reporting 2 dead and 20 injured, all crew members.
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Explosion/Fire on Norway

Now they're saying 4 dead. How sad. Imagine their families waiting back home for them. Now they'll never see them again. My prayers go out to the families.

Old May 25th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Admiral

It is a tragic incident that at this time appears to be just that, a tragic accident. They are reporting 4 dead and 17 injuried with 4 critical. I have spoken with some friends who work on differant cruiselines and they are all expressing sadness and loss over this.
Jim

Old May 25th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Beginner

Old May 25th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Explosion/Fire on Norway

That ship is over 40 years old. It has seen better days......
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Admiral

To view the Miami Herald article, go to
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5943259.htm
Old May 25th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dj

If you go to www.cruisenewsdaily.com they sayid that NCL spokesperson Susan Robison told CND that there was no fire as was reported by some media outlets.
Old May 25th, 2003, 08:42 PM
First Mate

Seven of us are scheduled to sail on the Norway two weeks from today. One person in our party is flying from out of state. I wonder if we will get much advanced notice if our trip has to be cancelled. Do they ever just transfer the people to a different ship?
Old May 25th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Andrea: I was on the Sky Princess a few years ago and there was a propeller problem...thank goodness detected before we left the dock. Everyone was unpacked and getting excited about leaving the pier when the captain announced that the cruise was cancelled. Princess was wonderful and opened all phone lines, free of charge, opened bars, free of charge, tried to schedule everyone as soon as possible on different ships (including those of other lines...in fact, I was booked onto the Norway). Princess paid all hotel charges, meals, transportation change fees....booked me into Pier 66 for 5 nights (free) and then chauffered me to Miami for the Norway sailing 6 days later.

I'm sure you will hear from Norwegian very soon and they will do their best to change your plans to another ship or another line. Word of advice: be patient and courteous - it will get you a lot further than being demanding, rude or nasty to the staff, either on the phone or in person. I watched many people make complete fools of themselves during this incident - I was calm and patient and ended up with great service, unbelievable bonuses on future cruises, shipboard credits and other special treats. In fact, I actually ended up with a 2 week vacation rather than one, a free cruise, and $200.00 shipboard credit on my next Princess cruise. So....it might take a day or so, especially with the holiday tomorrow, but if you call Tuesday, be prepared to wait on "hold" and trust that they are scrambling to do their best, you will end up o.k. Keep in mind that the company has suffered loss of lives of employees and think of how you would react if that happened in your company and you still had to deal with unreasonable customers. In fact, I would first offer my condolences to whomever you speak to and then get to business - they are trying their best. Keep us posted.
Old May 26th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,

Just heard on cnn that the Norway is out of commission indefinately.
Old May 26th, 2003, 06:28 AM
First Mate

Out of curiousity... why is it we learn everything from CNN versus the NCL website? One would think that NCL would be updating their information on the website ASAP to help aleviate thousands of phone calls, millions of questions, etc.

At present time, you must go to NCL.com and click on NEWS to find the "media statement". That's it. Nothing on the main NCL page.
http://www.ncl.com/news/index.htm

It has not been updated since Sunday morning. When I did project management work for a telecom company, I was actually part of the employee communications group, which maintained the intranet site for our group of 3,000 employees. Anytime anything happened - layoffs, big announcements, organizational changes, etc, the site was updated immediately, even if someone had to come in from home. (Thank goodness that wasn't my job or expertise!!). I just remember how imperative it was to get the info out asap. I would think that those passengers scheduled for the June 1 or future departures of the Norway would really want to know the info quickly to make alternative arrangements, but can't really rely on CNN since CNN is not the company that will pay their refunds.

Yes, this is a tragic event for many families of workers involved, and my heart goes out to them. However, NCL could (in my humble opinion) do just a little more to keep the public updated of events. Who knows... maybe CNN is reporting erroneous information(?).
Old May 26th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Greg9x

Was on the Norway during all of this... please remember this was an emergency situation... layoffs, personnel changes etc are planned events where a company has a bit more time to plan what is said and when. NCL has to clean up (heard a HAZMAT team was going to inspect the ship when we were leaving), conduct a possible criminal investigation (NOT saying it was, just a possiblity).. Then investigate what was the cause of the explosion, analyze the cause and see how it can be fixed and then determine if that fix can be accomplished quickly enough to make the ship safe for sailing by next week.. this all takes time.. the company doesn't want to cancel a cruise and then later find out they could have made it. Give them a couple of days.

As to the fire comment... the Captain first stated there was a fire that was under control and then later made the announcement that the fire was out, so I do believe there was a fire.

Greg
Old May 26th, 2003, 12:29 PM
LJA

We are also booked on the Norway on the June 8th cruise-I am a travel agent and still cannot get a solid answer on the agent line-They did tell me it would be Tuesday before they know. I am checking out other options just in case
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Frank

The history of the SS Norway is interesting. According to this article, it has been
retrofitted several times and all of its major systems have been replaced:
http://tinyurl.com/coo7

Anothre article says the fire could affect NCL's plan to rebuild other older ships. It also says that one cruise expert said it should have been retired two years ago, but has been kept in service because it is popular with loyal fans of the ship.
http://tinyurl.com/cook

Frank-in-CA
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:17 PM
First Mate

Please let me clarify... I was not the one who saw the CNN message about the Norway out of commission indefinitely. I had merely gone off of the post above mine (William's post shortly after midnight).

I understand emergencies are not planned. That's basic common sense.

However, what I was personally confused about was why CNN was reporting something... yet nothing along the same lines was posted on NCL's website. Was CNN reporting erroneous information? (which could be possible)

I was just being weird in thinking that if CNN is making a report, then the same info would most likely be available "directly from the source" - such as the cruiseline. That way, when people watch CNN and learn "the news", the cruiseline does not have to handle thousands of phone calls, but could instead share the same info with details via their website. Anything simple - such as stating "postponed indefinitely" - they don't have to give a full report from NTSB or anything. It looks like NCL is releasing a media report daily though, which is a positive. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers by stating that I felt NCL could be more efficient in communication strategies with the public - it was just my humble opinion.

Again, my condolensces to all involved. It seems like just yesterday our wedding party stepped off the Norway... yet it's been two months.

~ Mandy
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:23 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Explosion/Fire on Norway

Our travel agent called my son and said that there was a 90% chance the June 8 cruise would be cancelled. I then called Norweigan Lines and was told they wouldn't know anything until Wed. In the meantime, we found another cruise to take that same week, but can't book anything until we know for sure the Norway cruise is cancelled. Needless to say, it is very frustrating. NCL did tell me that if it is cancelled, they would issue a refund and a free cruise to any itinerary of our choice. At this point, I am really nervous about taking the Norway.
Old May 26th, 2003, 10:11 PM
First Mate

CNN and NCL are two very different organizations with two very different jobs.

CNN and its personnel are geared up to react to breaking events as quickly as possible. The network has people who do nothing but gather and report news and are staffed to handle holiday weekend news event because journalists know that news doesn't take the weekend off.

NCL's frontline staff (ship's and terminal personnel) is of course geared to operate on the weekends; its corporate offices aren't necessarily the same thing. People go away for the weekend and can be out of touch. It can take a company a bit longer to react than a news organization. Remember CNN only has to report the problem, NCL has to solve it.

Also, just because some author says the ship should have been retired years ago doesn't carry any weight. You can argue that any 40-year-old ship should have been retired decades ago, but there's no set rule or agency requiring it.

As a former sailor (U.S. Navy) who's lost shipmates at several commands my heart goes out to the crew of the Norway. I haven't sailed on her yet, but I hope to. My wife and I are booked for her this December, and if she is sailing again, will be on her.

Some of you may have heard about the sailor who was lost from the USS Nassau last week. I'm a plankowner (original crewman) of that ship (I helped commission her in 1979) and even though I left the Nassau 22 years ago, still know what her crew has been through the past few days.

Dan
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:05 AM
furluvcats

What a terrible tradgedy for the Norway. We are booked on her for an October sailing, and hope that retirement is not an option for her, as we look so forward to experiencing her history and grace. My condolences to the families of the lost crew members...
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

I do not see any reason why she would be retired. A steam pipe rupture could happen to any ship at any age. It is repairable. She will be off again once there is clearance from the authorities.

NORWAY NOV 16th
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Beginner

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/
It says The June 1st is off nothing on the 8th yet
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:25 AM
LJA

I just spoke with Ncl-they told me that they had not cancelled the June 1st cruise yet. Any other info anyone has would be greatly appreciated, I am booked on the 8th sailing and trying to make alternate plans

Thanks
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Sharon Coray

I talked to NCl this morning, they told me that everyone is in confrences and won't know if the 8th is cancelled until tomorrow. they told me to check the NCL site for new releases. If you read the the Miami Herals it sounds like the damage is so great that I don't see how they can get it repaired by then. I have also been online looking at other options and there is not too many options leaving from Miami for that date. NCl has nothing. Because they have most of the their ships in Alaska. My travel agent had no news just said we had to wait until Wed. we are on a inflexible schedule, and are very concerned. Our airfair will not be refunded. what happens when you have cancel a flight, does anyone know how that works! I am happy that the ship didn't have more damage and had been out to sea and had gone down. So sorry for the men and thier families who lost their lives. I have been on the NOrway and I love it, would really hate to see her go!
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:16 PM
wmsherwood

Spoke to both NCL and my TA.. NCL has now posted on their web site that both the 1st and 8th cruises on the SS Norway are cancelled. 1st gets full refund and 50% off future cruise only, 8th gets full refund and 25% off future cruise only fare. Sorry! My TA did get me on Carnival out of Miami on the 8th, but it cost more. Good luck.
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:39 PM
BillG

I think that everyone needs to take a deep breath and let NCL go about its business of assessing the damage, estimating the extent of repairs needed and the time that will be required to do the job. I realize that this may make some people's planning more difficult but please realize that this is not a simple matter and any decisions they make will affect not only you but hundreds and thousands of others. It might also be good not to speculate about what might have happened under different circumstances. While it is indeeed fortunate that the ship was in port and passengers were able to be disembarked in an orderly fashion, there is nothing to indicate that the consequences of the explosion happening while the ship was at sea would necessarily have been more severe. Pray for those killed and injured in this situation and accept the fact that our vacation plans are always subject to change, delay, or cancellation due to circumstances beyond our control.
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's something else to consider. Not only were crew tragically killed, but many engineering staff were severely injured. Norway not only has to be repaired, but she needs replacement crew. Some may be on leave that can be called back. But the ship can't sail without a fully trained engineering team even if she's ready to sail - not an easy task given there aren't many steam ships still afloat.
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:02 PM
furluvcats

It sounds like NCL will be helpful to the passengers that were on the Norways next couple of sailings. You better be glad its NCL you're dealing with, instead of Carnival, as they have the worst public relations department, and would more than likely leave their guests with a 10% discount on another sailing...when unfortunate circumstances strike Carnival, from past experience with them, I've seen Carnival dissappear and leave their guests on their own...go NCL for taking care of your guests!!!!!, and a speedy recovery to the SS Norway.

Condolences to the crew members who were wounded and lost...
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:35 PM
LJA

Default Re: Re: Re: Explosion/Fire on Norway

I was also able to book Carnival Pride out of Port Canaveral-for a couple of hundred dollars more. I just hope NCL is able to repair the Norway and sail again, I will defintely be on it. They were very helpful considering the situation they were in. Wish me luck I have never sailed on a Carnival ship before
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Explosion/Fire on Norway

I was on the Norway when this happened, and exited the boat with nothing more than a bruise. I PRAY that they will be able to fix her up, so that her last cruise exit can be a little more graceful, she is a beautiful ship. And for those of you who were booked on her in the next few weeks, just be happy you weren't supposed to be on the 25th sailing. What a disappointment to get to Florida, only to turn around and go back home.
Deepest sympathy to NCL for the loss of such a wonderful crew.
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

According to Cruise News Daily (5/27 issue), both the June 1 and June 8 cruises have been cancelled, with other cancellations likely. The NTSB will be on board conducting an investigation for at least one week, and once the ship is released to NCL they can then assess the damage and begin repairs. It appears that the damage was limited to the boiler room itself and the crew quarters on the floor above. NCL President Colin Veitch toured the Norway and it looks like the ship will be returned to service.

Also, the death toll is now 5 with 4 more crewmembers remaining in critical condition.

Old May 27th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Yeoman

Sharon,
You might check into just changing your flight since it is non-refundable, sometimes you have a year to use it. It may be a small changing fee, but it might be worth it. We usually book non-refundable flights too since they are cheaper, and never had to cancel, but it's worth a try to call the airlines and tell them what happened and if you can get another cruise soon maybe for a small fee can change the airline reservations. There for awhile, during the war, airlines were waiving the fees if people were afraid to fly so maybe you can try it.