June 9, 2003 - As a result of the May 25th accident onboard the S/S Norway, NCL is canceling the ship's sailings through the September 28, 2003 cruise. NCL is fully cooperating with the National Transportation Safety Board and United States Coast Guard to understand the cause of the boiler room accident.
Access to the boiler room has been difficult and limited, and NCL has only in the past few days been able to develop a fuller picture of the repairs that are likely to be needed. The latest assessment of damage remains consistent with the earlier view that it is extensive but manageable. It will require the boiler involved in the accident (one of four boilers on Norway) to be completely rebuilt, as well as rebuilding other technical spaces, automation systems, and equipment destroyed or damaged in the blast.
Although a detailed work specification has yet to be finalized, it is becoming clearer, with each additional day of inspections, that the repair work is likely to take months rather than weeks. Accordingly, NCL will cancel three months of cruises in addition to the already announced June cancellations. NCL intends to reintroduce the ship on October 5, 2003.
The company is currently contacting travel agents and passengers to notify them of the cancellations. Passengers booked on the cancelled voyages will receive a full refund. In addition, if these passengers rebook on another NCL cruise they will receive a $50 discount per person, valid for up to one year, with a maximum of $100 per cabin. Travel agent commissions are being protected at 10 percent on bookings that are fully paid by June 8th and within NCL's cancellation period.
Passengers needing more information about the cancellations should call 1-800-327-7030 or speak with their travel agents.
NCL is pleased to report that two more crewmembers have been released from the hospital - Ronnie Melicio, 26, and Odeniel Manaman, 34, both of the Philippines and members of the ship's engine department. The company has provided the crewmembers with rooms at local hotels near the hospital so they can receive further treatment as needed.
Four crewmembers remain hospitalized, three in stable condition and one in critical condition.
Lysa, thanks for the complete update. I knew about the re-introduction date, but not all the details. I feel so sorry for those who had planned to sail this summer. Now they have to find others ships and may have trouble with pricing as this is high season, but I am glad she will go back in the water. We will cruise on her Jan 4th. Can't wait.