Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2003, 10:57 AM
MLM

Default Can you order 2 Lobster Tails on Lobster Night?

I've heard that the Lobster tails served on Lobster tail are very small. Is is acceptable to order two on the Sun?
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Nita

Default Re: Can you order 2 Lobster Tails on Lobster Night?

Sure it is and yes, they are a bit small; mayb 2 oz. No, I am kidding, they are the typical 4 oz ones we get on occassionally in the store. I have never ordered 2 but have seen many who have. We usually get the Lobster tail and maybe another entree. think I will try to Lobster tail idea next time. Seems good to me.

You will love the Sun, she is a wonderful ship. NMNita
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:58 PM
NJmatt

I wouldn't be afraid to order 2. I have found that on Celebrity if you ask for another they kind of cringe when you do..why...I don't know,but have seen people do it on other lines...indulge...its your vacation.
Old June 17th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Yeoman

As long as you aren't easily embarrassed you can order anything and as much as you want. BG,, 3 entrees is not uncommon. ;-)
SSaFWs..ED
Old June 17th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Can you order 2 Lobster Tails on Lobster Night?

At least try to order it at the time you place your regular order so the waiter doesn't have to go back to the kitchen for it.
On a recent Princess cruise , everyone at our table for ten ordered crab legs. We then asked the waiter for seconds and he brought a a heaping plate of crabs legs (must have been 3 pounds) and we all dug in family style.
I have never heard a waiter say no to a request made at a dinner table.
Old June 17th, 2003, 02:15 PM
MLM

Default Re: Re: Re: Can you order 2 Lobster Tails on Lobster Night?

Good to know!

Apparently (this seems hard to believe on an Alaskan cruise) but NCL doesn't have Alaskan King Crab as either an entre or an appetizer! This is why I'm sure I'd like two lobster tails. Thanks guys!
Old June 17th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Nita

MLM, I remember that from cruising to Alaska 4 years ago. It is strange isn't it. Of course even on the ships that offer crab legs what do you want to bet they are frozen? Makes it a little easier to accept if we think about it that way.

Nita
Old June 19th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd much prefer frozen crab legs to NO crab legs any day! I live in Michigan, so it's not like I get fresh crab legs anyway.
Old June 19th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Admiral

I agree. Most all of the lines serve crab legs onboard at at least one meal. If NCL doesn't its because they have lessened the product so much due to cheap pricing.

All said, the best crab is not King, however. Dungeness crab is far better and is generally available fresh at several eateries at typical Alaska Ports of Call like Juneau, etc. Once you try fresh dungeness crab, you'll not care so much for Alaska king crab legs.

The only thing that comes close in my humble opinion is stone crab claws from sunny Florida.
Old June 19th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Nita

Chuck, I have cruised on 7 cruise lines and can't remember ever having crab legs. For the type of cabin we had our NCL cruise to Alaska was the priciest and no, we didn't have crab legs. As for anyone who would rather have frozen legs then no legs that's if they are good frozen one ok, but most are very salty and watery. You live in Mich, I live in NM, we don't get fresh fish here at all. No one loves fish or any kind better than me, but most fish freezes very poorly, Salmon being one of the exceptions. I was lucky enough to be raised in So Ca by a father who loved to fish. Eventually moved to DC where the fish is fresh all the time. Guess we will have to settle for what we get and be glad we can all still cruise.

Nita
Old June 19th, 2003, 11:52 PM
sallyc

I've cruised to Alaska on both Radisson and HAL and we ALWAYS had crab legs as an option. Geez....if you're not going to get crab legs on an Alaskan cruise...where?

I'm sorry but it sounds like NCL is one of the cheaper "no frills" cruise lines to me! Oh well, they fill their ships so they must be appealing to someone.
Old June 20th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Nita

Sally, if your remarks are not a bit condesending I wander what you would call them? No, NCL does not cater to just the lowest priced cruisers as you may think. As for Radisson, you can't compare apples and oranges. Of course Radisson has better meals than any of the mass produced lines and you pay for it. The fact remains they are still frozen crab legs. I will take a good steak anyday over frozen fish. HAL may serve frozen crab legs on some of their cruises, but not all. Maybe you have never been lucky enough to live on the East or West coast where you taste the fresh fish all the time. I have lived on both, have had crab legs that were caught that day, not to mention fresh lobster still alive when I choose it. After eating the real thing the frozen doesn't do that much for me. Would I get crab if on the menu, probably, but certainly don't miss not having it, nor do I judge the cruise by whether of not they offer crab legs. To each his own.

Nita
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:10 PM
SF Sharon

Come to San Francisco during the holidays and you'll taste the best Dungeness crab....ultra fresh, of course.

Last year's season began mid-November. Mark your calendar. :-)
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Nita

SF Sharon, we lived in SF area for 5 years and in Eureka for about a year. Boy are you right, we also lived on the East Coast, DC to be exact and got soft shell crabs there. I guess that's why I really don't care if my cruise offers crab legs or not cause non can compare with the ones you are talking about.

For our friend Sally123, seems like you or your family get around from one board to another with different names. At least you keep it interesting.

NMNIta
Old July 25th, 2003, 03:25 PM
English Cruisers

We sailed on the Dream and when the lobster tails were on the menu one got two lobster tails for each serving
Old July 25th, 2003, 07:57 PM
esd

Okay, I must put in my 2 cents. Maybe I haven't had the real thing, but to me crab legs are very over-rated. A lot of work for not much taste. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

All kidding aside, I'm with Nita..would much rather have a good steak!
Old July 25th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Passenger

I was on the Dawn last week and on the last night I had four lobster tails.
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:03 AM
BillnBobbi

For everyone's information:

With regard to the lobster tails. ALL of the lobster tails served on board (and esp. since the lobster is served towards the end of the cruise as a highlight feature) are brought on board frozen. Were they not, then they would deteriorate very rapidly, and not only be inedible, but downright unsafe to eat. This of course is true of all crustaceans as well as other shellfish. Since people have mentioned fresh vs. frozen, in general fresh is superior.

In that regard, lobster is infinitely better fresh than frozen. On some of the NCL ships, there is a live lobster tank, where you may select your victim. :-) It is then cooked only moments after it has been killed. (To kill a lobster, take a heavy bladed knife, such as a large chefs knife, place the blade downward on the carapace just behind the head and cut down swiftly along the length. You could also just toss the beast in boiling water and close the lid, but would you like someone doing that to you? :-). Hey, lobsters are cannibals anyway, so the heck with 'em.

As for King Crab - it is becoming an endangered species, and many restaurants have been asked voluntarily to stop offering them on the menues. There was an unexplained population boom of king crab back in the eighties, but that is long gone.
The price on them can be double that for lobster, because of the scarcity. Most of them are caught in the north Pacific, just below the string of the Aleutians. If y'all lay off of them for a couple of years, the population might come back to what it was. Many governments are placing restrictions on the catches, much to the consternation of fisherman based in Alaska and elsewhere in the north pacific, who make their livings catching things to eat. King crab is basically flash frozen ON THE SHIP, immediately after being caught, to preserve its viability as a cash crop. Other species of crab, in less population danger are still sold fresh, or even alive- such as the Chesapeake Blue Crab. Yet even here, there are major major problems with this species, whose population has dropped 70% in the bay over the past twenty years. This of course is of major concern to Maryland if from only an economic standpoint.
Oddly, one of the culprits blamed for the population drop are non-native species which are competing with the blue crabs. It seems that these non-native species have been transported to the Chesapeake Bay in the ballast water of the ships traversing the area.
BTW much of this information, and more is contained in the latest issue of National Geographic, I'm not just blowing smoke.

If all of us don't start taking the environment into more consideration, the only thing we're going to have left to eat in a few decades is chicken. Even the vast numbers of pacific Pollack, which go into everything from fish sticks to surimi (fake crab meat) and are now being used, because the Atlantic cod has been overfished to oblivion, are now depleting greatly as well.
Any sport fisherman on LI will tell you that you can't catch a Fluke worth a damn off the Great South Bay anymore, they simply aren't there. Anything under 18 inches has to be tossed back, or you get a very heavy fine if caught.

I'm not some Greenpeace fanatic, or PETA person, but I think it behooves all of us not to worry so much whether the crab is fresh or frozen, so much as whether it will be there or not at all for our children and grandchildren to enjoy as much as we do.

BnB
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Nita

BnB, I am not the biggest enviormentalist in the world for sure, but I sure agree with you on this. I was raised in So Calif, my dad loved to fish, we ate fresh fish at least once every few weeks if not more often and if he hadn't caught it we got it fresh from the fish market. Then living in the DC area in the 80s hubby and I enjoyed the best of fish, now it is out of our price range pretty much, the rivers are polluted beyond belief and we settle for Salmon most of the time which as most of us know is pretty much farm raised. That is fine with me, at least it's fish. Too bad not many take this seriously.

Enough of this, let's go cruisin and eatin and havin a good ol time.

Nita
Old August 9th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Passenger

my husband had 6 tails on the dawn after 3 he got looks but who cares they were great
Old August 10th, 2003, 05:11 PM
linnie

I order 2 to begin with and my husband sometimes goes for 3. If you have never cruised you can order anything you want and as much of it as you want. Been on 25 cruises.
Old August 21st, 2003, 09:40 AM
JimC

Anyway to get back to the original question Ask away!!

In my humble opinion the meals are excellent but the portions are small, so ask for anything you want. And remember if people can come to dinner in dirty old jeans, and no one says anything, then requesting another entree is no big deal!!
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:58 PM
yankeedee

When I get a lobsta and bring it home to steam it, by the time I am thru eating it, there is nothing left.. The lobsta tails you order on a cruise ship do not compare with Maine Lobstas. The tails are very small and sometimes dry. I usually order 3 to start with and skimp on the the rest of the meal
Old August 21st, 2003, 03:27 PM
ParrotMom

You hit a lobster over the head!!!! Where did you learn to cook?Gezz
First, the lobsters on almost all the ships, including NCL are not Maine Lobsters, they are the Caribbean..yechh (we are from N.E. and know our lobster and fish)..and they are usually kept refrigerated and put directly into the hot boiling water..As for the snobbery about NCL I take exception to that!!!!! Went on a RCI cruise last year and I was completely disgusted.. mediocre food, indifferent service, third rate entertainment...I could go on and on about our experience. There was a "cruise group" that I mistakenly hitched up with pre-cruise and I was never so disgusted with these blowhards in my twenty years of cruising.. There are many people who turn up their nose at NCL, but NCL and I don't work for them was the first cruise line to do homeland cruising, Free Style Cruising, internet connections, and embarking and disembarking passenger stress free and that's just for a start..Don't get me started about my RCI Brilliance of the Seas cruise.a.nd this group.. Of course NCL isn't Crystal,, Radison or Seabourne but there is a market for everybody. What I particularly look for in a cruise is destination, destination, destination... I don't care if you have the Presiden'ts Suite or if you need a butler... Sorry... now I think I'll take two Exceedrin and calm down.. If your going to "put down" NCL this is not the board for you...l
Old August 21st, 2003, 09:28 PM
Nita

Parrotmom, AMEN!!!!!

Nita
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:16 PM
GWM Cruiser

I was on NORWEGIAN SEA last week [and it was great] ... initial serving for each person automatically was TWO lobster tails [average size]. If you want more ... just order [a woman at the next table routinely had 4-5 entrees each dinner ... and, she was not very heavy]!