Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2003, 12:25 PM
First Mate

Default SS United States?

Drove by the SS United State today in Philly. I get to she her every few weeks as she is berthed just down the the river from a large HOME Deposit store., I frequent. She is a grand liner but looks so sad and rusted. Has anyone heard more about NCL's plans for her? Is there a web site about her? Somewhere I read that she'll start sailing in July of 2004 but I think it will take longer than that to restore her. Pictues that ran in a local Philadelphia paper awhile back showed her interiors gutted.

It would be great to book her maiden sailing under NCL's ownership. We are booked on the maiden sailing of QM2 this coming Jan. We just love the classic ocean liners.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:05 PM
Mary M

Default Re: SS United States?

I live in Bucks County, PA and also have driven by the United States. It broke my heart to see her look so sad. Being an old New Yorker I have had the priviledge of attending several bon voyage parties on this historic ship. Years ago when friends and family were sailing it was a $2 donation the the Seamans Fund to go aboard. It was also a unique opportunity to check out your accommodations for a future sailing. I worked at 2 Broadway and lunchtime in the good weather was usually spent in Battery Park. Almost any day of the week you could count on one of "the" liners either sailing or arriving.
Looking forward to our 35th anniversary cruise on the Norway on Oct. 5th. See, I too love the "Great Ladies"
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:25 PM
Todd Riedl

Dan,

Check out the NCL Web Site for more details on both new (refirb) ships.

Here's one of the links to get you started:

http://www.ncl.com/fleet/15/pj_amer1.htm

Pride of America has its inaugural is set for July 4 and will be sailing continuous 7-day Honolulu round-trip itineraries.

Bon voyage!
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:06 PM
Carole Dunham

I too would love to sail her, but in my family we have a tradition of not sailing maiden voyages. Why? My father, who was born in 1887 was booked on Titanic's maiden voyage and had to cancel because the ship sailed two weeks later than planned and he needed to be back on this side of the pond. I also believe that July 2005 is a more realistic timetable for her maiden voyage. I wish I remembered where I saw the interior photos of her - on the internet somewhere, but not only is she a rusting hulk sitting there rotting in Philadelphia but her insides are in hideous condition. Nothing left really. Maybe that's a good thing though. Nothing left to pull out of her and since her engines are gone, maybe they can put contemporary engines in her and avoid the risk of another accident like Norway's. Norway's out of Miami now. I drive by the port of Miami frequently and noticed that her berth was empty. when she was here she was so dark and forlorn.

Carole
Old July 4th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Beginner

> Is there a web site about her? <

There are several websites about the S.S. United States. Just do a Google search and you'll get several hits. The best recent photos of the interiors (or what's left of them) are at:
http://www.ss-united-states.com/tour06.html

Phil Frank
(also a Philadelphian)