Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Todd Riedl

Default Norway no longer being booked by icruise.com

We're booked on the Norway for 12OCT03 so quite frequently I'll go to icruise.com and see if certain categories are selling out or if prices are dropping.

When I went to check today icruise.com did not have any info. available on the Norway. No ship details, no itineraries, no pricing, no nothing.

I thought maybe it was just icruse but I also checked over at CruiseBrothers and found the same thing.

For one last effort, I also checked travelocity and to my surprise they were taking bookable bookings throught to 2005.

Does anyone have an idea what's up?

Thanks,
Todd.
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Nita

Default Re: Norway no longer being booked by icruise.com

Todd, I have no idea what the problem is, but I checked "Best Price Cruises" and E - cruises, they are both booking. I did check NCL's website and both the 5th and 12 of Oct all filling up. Don't know if that's the problem or if some TAs are just nervous about the chances of her being ready to sail in Oct. She crossed another time zone today so is only 1 hour (time zone) from England. Looks like she must be about on schedule. HOpe we have some answers in another 10 days or so. I have always thought we would know more by the end of July. Guess there isn't much we can do right now. GOOD LUCK and don't worry too much.

Nita
Old July 14th, 2003, 01:32 AM
Todd Riedl

NIta, many thanks for your words of encouragement. Your messages are always so positive - with your outlook on things you really should be back in the wonderful world of 'customer service.' We really need more good people like you!

Thanks also for checking out the other sites to see if they're taking Norway bookings.

We have less than 100 days to go and just can't wait to set sail !!!
Old July 14th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Is Nita being positive or is she being a little too Pollyanna in nature???

I hate to be negative, but I think it is quite likely the Norway will never sail again, much less in October. If you are smart you will book a different ship for this fall and then perhaps book the Norway after she is truly afloat. I would hate for your family to be discouraged and disappointed. NCL has done very little ($50 ship board credit) for most of its displaced passengers. That is not even enough money to pay the $100 per passenger penalty you may accrue with your airfare changes that may become necessary. Booking a different cruise at a later time for the same dates may be much more difficult after NCL announces the termination of your cruise. Don't forget all of the other passengers booked on the Norway will be scrambling looking for itineraries, ports of embarkation and dates that match their plane tickets. Cruise fares will likely go up on such affected dates and schedules.

Anyway, I would be very cautious unless you're a gambling man.
Old July 15th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Nita

Chuck, I am not being anything but positive at this stage. As I have said all the way trough, hopefully we will have a better idea if she will sail in Oct within the next few weeks. I don't know any more than you know and that's not much. You are simply speculating like the rest of us. I am realistic. Of course I have some concerns and we aren't sailing til Jan. I have checked prices on other ships and lines just in case. I still say we have no reason to belive she will not sail. Of course if the repairs run out of line price wise she will be put to rest. I think you are just a bit pi@@#% for some reason. You facts need to be re-examined. Those who were due to sail on the 25th got full refunds plus free cruises, on the 1st and 8th 50% off a cruise of their choice and so on. Those scheduled for July and later did only get $50 credit. What did you think they should get? Free cruises for everyone. I don't expect anything if they cancel our Jan cruise. I wouldn't expect much if we were scheduled in Oct and they cancelled tomorrow. If they cancelled in Sept, totally different. If you have such annimosity toward NCL why to do bother to read these boards. Constructive ideas are great, but constant negative postings really serve no purpose. Guess you have nothing better to do with your time.

Nita
Old July 15th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Admiral

I have no anger or upset with N.C.L. I just feel that people should beware that they are likely setting themselves up for disappointments. I don't think I would enjoy having my cruise cancelled and then be forced to find another cruise that matches my vacation and flight schedules.

If he is hell-bent on cruising the Norway in October, he should book the air portion through NCL if at all possible. That way he doesn't have to worry about losing non-refundable ticket(s). That could be a huge non-recoverable expense, as you and I both know. NCL doesn't seem to care.

And No Nita, $50 ship board credit doesn't cover the anxiety and expense that cruisers will have if displaced. That would not encourage me to rebook with NCL. In fact I feel it is a slap in the face of their loyal customers.

Since you seem to want to get personal, why must you ALWAYS defend this corporation? Do you have a financial tie that you should be disclosing before you defend the wrongs of uncaring corporations.They have their faults and I was simply stating the facts. The fact is that most people only got a $50 ship board credit on a future cruise.

My only bias is that I don't want this man and his cabinmates to be set up for a huge disappointment when it is totally unnecessary.
Old July 15th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Nita

Chuck, as I have said a thousand times, you and I have absolutely no clue or nothing to base our views as to when she and if she will sail again. I am only saying until she reaches land I personally wouldn't re-book somewhere else. I have not said she would sail, I am just keeping positive for now. Am I really so awful for that? I certainly do not think I am personally attacking you or anyone for your views. I am expected to apologize for not sharing your views. As for the $50 as mentioned before, what did you think NCL should do? They offered discounts for anyone inconvenienced the first month, after that a line had to be drawn. I have no financial interest in NCL. I have my investment more in land based travel, thank you. I do have a loyalty to NCL as I have stated before. After cruising on all the major lines with exception of HAL and Princecess I have found NCL meets our needs for many reasons. I have not had a bad experience with them, in fact while still a TA they were as good as any other line in handling problems. All lines had customer service issues. this has noting to do with my views on whether Norway will sail. I just am not the type to panic too soon. I agree about booking the air unless he has other options that will still leave out of Miami. I hope you can understand my side of things just once.

Nita
Old July 15th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Admiral

I do see your point of view Nita. I merely differ with it. I tend to fight for the little guy on such issues, and I guess that's my bias. Anyway, unless he has the best cruise insurance known to man, he and his family are taking a risk if they maintain their booking. That no one can disagree with.

My personal experience with NCL has been very mixed, as my reviews and comments have reflected. When I had a serios problem, that ruined our day in Copenhagen due to poor management, NCL's sorry consisted of a bowl of semi-rotten fruit from the buffet line, fruit flies included. I would have rather received a sincere note of apology. I guess that's just me.

We who serve the public know that loyalty is important if we want clients to return. No I don't think NCL owes everyone a free cruise, but I do think they could show greater concern by at least matching the $100 penalty each customer will face from their air carrier. Even third and fourth cabin passengers will face such penalties. Why is NCL only giving $50 vouchers to the first two passengers in a cabin. Thus if a family of four pays $400 penalty to their airline for "date only"changes for the delay of their cruise, NCL gives them $100 in shipboard credit on some future cruise. These people cannot change the destination or gateway of origin on their plane tickets. They have a minimum net loss of $300, plus many cannot take vacation time at just any moment.
NCL's response is insufficient in my humble opinion.

That's all for now!
Old July 15th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Nita

Chuck, thanks for responding, you had a bad experience, my biggest argument and I do know what I am talking about is this is the cruise industry period and many other industries for that matter. Of course some are better than others with customer service, I won't tell you my nightmere with another line. Infact several nightmere's. As for them looking elsewhere, I still say: hold off a few days or weeks, put something on hold to be on the safe side, but his question was in reference to a few on line agencies not booking NCL in Oct and my answer simply was, most are. I think Icruise was one that choose from the beginning not to book in Oct. I could be wrong. As for NCL not offering more than $50 this could have been our situation and we aren't sailing til January. We could have used frequent flyer miles or grabbed a great rate and gotten stuck. I am not saying I do not have symplathy for these passengers, I do, but stuff does happen as we all know. What about the cruise line that changes itineraries about 6 months out, including NCL? Do they owe something to those who booked a year prior to sailing? This happens with airlines as well. You book, they change schedules, you have to book with someone else. You may not get stuck with a penalty, but you may have to pay twice as much on airline B when A decides to cancel or drop a route or time slot. Sometimes we all get stuck and we just have to eat it. Let's just hope everything works out for him. Nita
Old July 16th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Nita,
Hate to say it but Chuck is probably correct in his assessment of the Norway. I cannot see the possibility of it being ready for any cruise in October and I doubt that it will return to service at all. That's not being hateful or thinking bad thoughts, it is just a realistic assesment of the current situation with this ship. It sustained major damage and the cost of repair and refurbishment is most likely prohibitive.
Jim

Old July 16th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Nita

Jim, I still have to ask, why would NCL be taking bookings clear through 2005 if they didn't intend on putting her back in the water? I might buy the whole thing if they hadn't changed from bookings only up to May of 2004 to end of 2005. They certainly plan on putting her back in the water. Of course we don't know, but insurance will cover a good part of the repairs and we do not have a clue how much refurbation they intend on doing. Originally she was to go to dry dock for a make over in May of next year. Plans were up in the air as to what would happen after that. Now they plan on sailing her, as I said clear through next year and beyond. Before she left Miami I still felt she would sail again but had my doubts. I still as realistic enough to know anything is possible and as for sailing by Oct 5th I do not have a clue as I do not know what is envolved. Whatever, hopefully we will know a little more in the next few weeks. Watching the cam, it looks like she is in English waters now. Nita
Old July 16th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dj

Nita, NCL offered 50% of what we paid for the June 1 cruise, not 50% off the cruise of our choice. We booked early, and by doing so, our 50% credit is less than if we would have waited to book when the prices are higher.
Old July 16th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Nita

dj, I am sorry I misunderstood what was offered. That wasn't the impression I got from CC posters who have gotten their vouchers. Guess it wasn't made very clear. I am sorry and of course 50% off a NORWAY cruise no matter when you booked would not be the same as 50% off any cruise as we know the Norway is much less expensive than some. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Nita
Old July 17th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Admiral

To Nita and others:

There is nothing I would like more than to be able to say that NCL is improving in customer service and satisfaction. When I see proof of that, I will be the first one to sing their praises.

I feel that my past and present criticisms have been evenly handed and fair. I have given NCL credit for the good things that it does do. I have also been critical in areas where many people and I agree there is much room for improvement.

Nita seems to consistantly try to denegrate those who are critical of NCL in anyway. I am not the first and I'll guarantee I won't be the last. I have no axes to grind and I have no financial interest in putting down NCL. I'm not sure she can say the same.

My post did NOT tell the questioner not to cruise NCL. It simply stated the risks involved in cruising the Norway, one particular ship, at this time. And there ARE risks!
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Nita

Chuck, I am not quite sure what your point is? I didn't denegrate you and I don't believe I ever said you advised him not to cruise NCL, you did suggest he book something else, but that's how you feel. I also mentioned I would be a little nervous about an Oct sailing, I also said if it were me I would wait until she gets to England in a day or so to make a decision. That's just me. I am the first to admit I am an NCL loyalist as are many, but they do have problems like all companies. What created your latest response? I thought we agreed to disagree on the simple issue as to whether she would sail again or not. That was the posters question. by the way, you need to read the gripes coming from Celebrity passengers right now. Check out the CC board. They are griping cause all they got was a free cruise and a refund for the cruise that was cancelled. All companies seem to be offering about the same and certain passengers will always be unhappy. Life goes on!!!

Nita
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Norway no longer being booked by icruise.com

The reasons I felt you were unfair as follows:

A. I have been equally critical of H.A.L. eventhough I have been an H.A.L. "loyalist" of sorts (See my review of our recent cruise on the Amsterdam!)

B. I have been equally critical of Celebrity eventhough I am a fan of this company. (See my review of our 12-22 sailing on the Zenith.)

C. I have been equally critical of Princess eventhough I think Princess is working hard to improve and my last sailing was the best cruise of my life.

D. I have planned for some time to sail on the Norway, I just don't think an October sailing is a wise choice for any passenger righ now, unless changes and upsets are not a problem for them.( i.e they don't have limited vacation time, limited funds, or limited airline miles.)

E. I booked my best friends on the Norway for their thirtieth anniversary last Valentine's Day. It was their first real vacation ever, they had a suite, and they had a wonderful cruise, including excellent food and service.

I just feel I was being even-handed and was being criticized by you only because I was the messenger of the implied risks.

I guess you want the last word. So this will be my last post on this topic, at least on this thread. Go ahead, take the last word...
Old July 17th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Nita

Chuck, of course I always get the last word, right or wrong; ! anyway, I was not belittling you and I can't understand why you thought I was except you do come across as a little pesimitic. I haven't read the other comments about your other cruises as I pretty much stick with NCL. I do wander off some if there has been a concerne, or we are comtemplating another cruise. I have also said all the way along, I would not book Norway right now for Oct either. If I was booked I would wait it out for a few days. I think I just take things in stride more or look at things through a different colored glass.

Nita
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Todd Riedl

Chuck, Nita:

Thanks for bringing out both sides of the situation.

Regards,
Todd.