Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:14 AM
Gmullen

Default Fanning Island

I've heard a lot of good and bad about Fanning Island. Has anyone out there been there before? If so I would like to hear what you did there and what you recommend (good things only please:-) We're sailing the week of 8/3. Can't wait to go! Also any NCL shore excursions worth while on Maui? We wanted to go to the highly recommended Old Lahaina Luau but were not sure we'd get back to the ship on time since it is not a NCL excursion and I hear transportation on Maui is lacking and expensive....

Thanks for any advice!!
GMullen
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Fanning Island

The best thing to do on Fanning Island is to simply go ashore, bring your camera and explore. There are no shops, excursions, buses , taxis , bars or restaurants. This is the south Pacific the way it was many years ago.
There is a lagoon in the center of the island that may be the most beautiful thing you have ever seen and there is a small beach, but that is not the highlight. Explore, take pictures, and experience the closest thing to unspoiled paradise you may ever see.
There are a few remnants of Japanese occupation from WWII as well (these were the Gilbert Islands in those days). Just go ashore and take it all in for what it is.

Mauii. Where do you dock and when do you leave? Old Lahainna Luau is essentially right in the town of Lahainna. If you are docked there , then all you need to do is make sure you make the last tender. If you are docked on the other side of the island, then go with a ship's tour Luau. They won't leave without you.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 12:37 PM
al heinlein

Default Re: Re: Fanning Island

i was just there in april and in my opinion the best thing to do on fanning is to meet the people and the children! i normally dont care much for the rugrats but i was enchanted. they sang and danced and a genuine happiness sparkled in their eyes. i brought t shirts from my towns athletic programs and they loved them, anyone who goes, let me know if you see kids running around with shirts that say BRIDGEPORT ATHLETICS! they sell stamps there that are beautiful and will stamp your passport. take a swim, have a drink, and close your eyes and pretend you're on Survivor. near the little dock where you come ashore is a great photo opp. a sunken, rusted tugboat, lying askance just off shore. frame the shot with the low hanging palm fronds (huge palms!) and you just made your own postcard. and take pictures of the kids, they love it. if you can bring a cheap polaroid and give them the picture they just love it. ENJOY, its something not a lot of people get to see. im glad i did.
AL
Old July 23rd, 2003, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Fanning Island

Al just reminded me of something. NCL does not pay much in cash to land at Fanning Island and instead brings supplies and stuff for the school and the community. If you go, bring some school supplies to donate to the school, pencils, pens , a ream or two of paper, note books, coloring books, crayons. The kids will love you for it and the teachers will be grateful .