Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2003, 07:21 AM
NancyG

Default 10/12/03 Sun with 9 year old girl

We are a family group of 8 -- 3 sisters, 4 of our kids and 1 of our grandchildren.

Lizzie, a Jersey Girl, is 9 and we are pulling her out of school for this floating family reunion. We are SS Norway refugees -- and still traveling with part of the Norway SOS history crowd. That is how we ended up cruising during the school year -- an opportunity to learn history first hand.

My concern is will Liz have any other kids to hang out with? She is an only child and very accustomed to tagging along with the adults and very happy to see her cousins and grand-aunts from Michigan, Ohio and S. Dakota, but she does enjoy time with other kids. She does basketball, ballet and cheerleading and is reading Moby Dick and the latest Harry Potter. If you know of any other kids on this trip, she would be happy to hear about them.
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2003, 12:19 PM
Nita

Default Re: 10/12/03 Sun with 9 year old girl

I haven't been on a cruise in the past 5 years where there were not kids. Todays scheduling opens it up so much more. You have kids on fall break, kids who are home schooled, kids pulled out of school, etc. I hope she meets with other kids and has a great time. It's fun to tag along with adults, but also good for kids to be with other kids. Happy cruisin NMNita
Old August 1st, 2003, 09:23 PM
Yeoman

Nancy,
If there are not very many people who write back on this thread, you might try posting a thread in the teen section asking if any of the teens have younger siblings who will be on the cruise or maybe post a thread for the family section. Also with year around school, there are probably a lot of kids out in the fall for breaks and Nita is right, so many kids are homeschooled and taken out of school for learning through life experiences.

Luanne

Old August 15th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just booked this cruise yesterday....I am taking my 11 and 12 year old daughters on this cruise along with my sister, my best friend and my father....I know you probably posted this long ago, but I will keep checking to see if you get my message...maybe our girls can meet on board...my daughters have cruised once before...and are so excited.....hope to hear from you....................Rhonda
Old August 15th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Nancy G

Default Re: Re: 10/12/03 Sun with 9 year old girl

Hi, Rhonda! My niece spotted your reply. Glad to hear your girls will be on board. Liz will be happy to meet them. They have a 9 -12 age group for Kid's Crew, so she and your girls will be together. This is her first cruise. At first she was a bit scared -- the Titantic was her idea of a cruise ship and what happens. I asked her what it hit and told her we were sailing form Miami and she figured out that icebergs are very rare in this area. She is very excited.
Old August 17th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: 10/12/03 Sun with 9 year old girl

Hello again Nancy,
Glad you got my reply..I am sure that the girls will meet on board....I didnt even tell my girls that I had found out that there will be at least one other girl around there age....They are on vacation with my inlaws in SC...and tomorrow they will be going to Florida to my sisters home..(the one who is cruising with us in Oct)...I will fly and meet them there tomorrow....They will be excited to know that they wont be alone on the trip...Hope to speak with you again and see you onboard!!!!!
Rhonda.
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:13 AM
seablessed

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 10/12/03 Sun with 9 year old girl

You might end up feeling lucky you switched from the Norway to the Sun!!!! Went on it last year...very new, bright, spacious...and freestyle with a group is w o n d e r f u l!!!!!! We upgraded to speciality restaurant one night and preferred the other dining rooms! The folks with knew with kids hardly caught up with them as the onship "campers" had activities early and late!!!!! You might consider taking school supplies to a school in Roatan if that is one of your stops....we consider it an humbling yet awesome experience.......Enjoy!
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Nita

It appears there will be more kids than you thought. Many schools have 3 and 4 day Columbus breaks now so parents don't mind pulling the kids for an extra couple of days. We were on the Sun a year and 1/2 ago. Lots of kids and they all loved the kids program. One family we spent lots of time with could hardly get their 8 year son to do anything with them. He just wanted to hang out with his new friends. Sounds like you have nothing to worry about and the ship is wonderful.

Nita
Old September 1st, 2003, 02:29 PM
First Mate

Hi Nancy,

We have 7 year old twins-a son and a daughter and we're booked on the DAwn for 10/12/03. My daughter loves to play with older girls! !
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:05 AM
Nancy G

Default Re: Re: 10/12/03 Sun with 9 year old girl

Carrie

Are you on the Dawn or the Sun? We are on the Sun?