Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:08 PM
frenchy

Default travelling with infants

DO they have babysitting service for small children on any of the ships? It is not a big deal if they don't but we want to travel with our 9 month old, no one to leave her with, and just wondering if they have services available.
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2003, 06:30 PM
AmyinVail

Default Re: travelling with infants

No, they do not offer babysitting for any child under the age of 2. We were on the Dawn with a 9 mos old. We are now planning our next cruise - 5 days after she turns 2!!!
Old November 12th, 2003, 03:24 PM
tscheff

Default Re: Re: travelling with infants

Hi,

I will be cruising next May with my son who will be 17 months when we sail. Do you have any advice? I will be traveling with my husband, parents, in-laws and brother as well. We all have an oceanview cabin because we are too afraid to get a balcony cabin because my son is a really good climber!

How did you bathe your 9 month old? I already reserved a crib and mentioned I will need a highchair. Was the cabin too small for a crib? I plan to take my son to the restaurants for dinner as well.

Sorry about all the questions, any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Tracy
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Scathaway

tscheff,

Sounds like you'll have plenty of family around to help you out with your son. Since you reserved a crib then I'm guessing the cabin would be able to accomodate it, it's probably a small crib but then you won't need much space for him anyway. Or, if the crib is taking too much room you could just have your son sleep in bed with you. At 17 months, he should be a pretty good size and there shouldn't be any worry about rolling over on him, the beds are pretty big anyway. You can just kind of play that by ear, I'm sure it will work out. I'd probably just have my kid sleep between my husband and me, the beds are definately big enough for that. Bathing could be a challenge. I guess it depends on your child but maybe he could take a shower with your assistance, otherwise you'll just have to do the best you can and probably give him spongebaths. I'm sure the dining room will work out fine also, they have high chairs and people take out their children to eat all the time and I'm sure it won't be any different than if you went to any other restaurant at home. Have a great time and don't let anyone tell you that it's a problem to bring your baby. It'll work out just like it does at home. And you have the added bonus of having family around to watch him if you feel like a little time to yourself.
Old November 14th, 2003, 07:18 AM
tscheff

Default Re: Re: travelling with infants

Thank you Scathaway!

You really made me feel a lot better.

I'm really excited about bringing my son. He is a very adaptable child since I have taken him everywhere since he's been born. I know he will have a blast. He also loves feeling like a big boy when we go to restaurants, he's very well behaved.

It is also an added bonus that my family will be joining us. I'll have a bunch of babysitters I know very well watching my son, while my husband and I can have some time alone.

This will be our 3rd cruise. Our first was when my husband and I were dating, our second was our honeymoon and our third with our first child.

I can't wait until May!!!

Thanks again!
Old November 14th, 2003, 09:40 AM
stew

Default Re: Re: Re: travelling with infants

we reserved a mini suite with a crib on the 12/07 sailing.....i called ncl and they said all balconies have a child safety lock on it....we are also bringing our own rod for sliding door, but they did say it had safety.......we were very worried about all this too, but when you look in their eyes you know what a great time you will have with them just seeing their reaction to their first cruise.....
Old November 14th, 2003, 12:59 PM
tscheff

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: travelling with infants

Thanks Stew!

I didn't know about the safety locks. Knowing that now, I'll keep an eye out for sales on balconies or hope for a free upgrade. If not maybe one of the four cabins in my party will get one. The mini suites have tubs, right? But do the regular balcony rooms have tubs?

Thanks for your help. I'm glad to hear any other tips you may have.

I'm so jealous, your cruise is just around the corner. I have to wait 6 months!!
Old November 14th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Stew

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: travelling with infants

Tracy, our mini does have a tub, but the others on the ncl Dawn, the ship we will sail on do not, i believe.....we only booked two weeks ago...we try to book very late so we can get a mini at the same price as an outside....they tell you about early bird discounts, but at the end they really want to sell them cheap.......this is our 7th cruise but first with the little guy.......luv a chance to give him this education......don't be impatient.....oh no! i can't wait either.......enjoy Stew
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Jessica Page

I am cruising in 2 weeks and I have bought a blow up bath tub....maybe that would work for you they have them at Toys R Us and Babies R Us.