Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:28 PM
ilyse

Default just got off the DAWN..10/5/03 :)

hi, i just got off the ship and i was helpped a great deal by this board..if anyone has any questions i would be more than happy to help..i have been on 15 cruises many different lines, and i am 37 years old...just an idea on my perspective on things..i thought that the ship was wonderful and loved the idea of freestyle cruising..i know others have said no to this but i personnaly like the idea of NOT being hearded into dining rooms like a bunch of cattle....you know, bells go off and everyone runs for the dining room. as i have cruised on princess, disney, carnival NCL, holland american and royal carribien...and i remember the BELLS..all come and eat..variety of chice a nice thing on the ship...express check out a nice touch, we docked at 8:45 and cleared at 9:40 and off at 9:42...anyhow, any questions just post away and i will get back to you..had a great time....i hope all of you do as well....ilyse
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2003, 05:58 AM
Simantics

Default Re: just got off the DAWN..10/5/03 :)

Did you do any shore excursion? I am interested in finding out as much as I can about those.
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:07 AM
ilyse

we did disney, 28 dollars a person, just the transfer....we got to the park at 10:30 and then back on the bus to leave at about 6pm..we went to epcot..we also did the south beach shuttle and that was it..my husband did the snorkling tour in nassau..39 dollars for boat and snorkling, said it was very good...what were you interested in as i have info on other tours....what do you need..ilyse
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Passenger

What time did you get to pier to initially board? How long of a wait? We're leaving on 10/12 and go back an forth about what time to get there.
Old October 8th, 2003, 12:53 PM
debi647

Default Re: Re: just got off the DAWN..10/5/03 :)

Hi Jess
My husband and I just got back from the Dawn on 10/5. We are from Long Island, and we lwft the house at around 10:30am, got near the pier around 11:45 or so, and then the traffic just inched up, ever so slowly....by 12:45 as we were still about 4 or 5 blocks away from the pier, we just decided to grab all our luggage and walk the rest of the way (we had someone driving us of course lol). The walk really wasn't all that bad, and we encounter lots of people walking to the Dawn also. I think they started boarding around 1pm, and the wait line was sooooo long, but moved pretty quickly once it got going.
Debbie
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:59 PM
evamaria

Hi, I'll be going on the Dawn 4/04 and I am also curious about shore excursions. On the transfer bus to Disney what parks do they stop at. I thought it was only Magic Kingdom but you mentioned Epcot. Do they go to Animal Kingdom? Also with 2 small children have you heard of any positive excursions in Miami or Nassau? Thank you
Old October 9th, 2003, 07:04 AM
ilyse

hi...the tour for disney stops at the ticket and transportation centr...from there you can buy your tickets and you can go to whatever park you wish to..you have to be back to the ticket and trans cented by 5:45 to get on the bus..as far a nassau and mailmi, i think your best bet would be to take a taxi and go to the beach on your own, much better than any of the tours that are offered....i did not take my kids this tiem on the cruise but i have been to both places and there is not much going on for the kids..jsut the beach and a bit of shopping, i hope this helps you..ilyse
Old October 9th, 2003, 04:40 PM
el henry

Jess:

I was on the Dawn on the 9/28 cruise and I could not counsel strongly enough that if you can find/pay someone to drop you off and you can cross the street on your own, do that! My brother drove myself and my senior citizen parents to the pier. We arrived at 12:00 and the traffic heading into the pier was *horrendous*. We took our wheeled luggage, left the car at 12th (West Side Hwy) and 48th, and walked across the street. Best choice we ever made.

Find out the pier that the Dawn is leaving from. If it is Pier 90, the cross street will be 50th. It also has a light.

I would leave the same way. We chose express departure, and waited for my brother at 50th and 12th. At 9:45 they called our floor; by 10:25 we were in a car and on our way home.

BTW, I really enjoyed the cruise. I have sailed RCCL and Celebrity in the past, but will only sail Freestyle in the future. Well worth it.

el henry
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:57 PM
ilyse

i agree with el henry on the traffic situation, it was jsut nuts we got to the exit to the pier and it took us 1.5 hours to park and get on the ship it was just nuts...we were on the same date as el henry..maybe things will get easier as the winter progresses and the princess ship and the other ships will not be sailing out of NY..maybe a bit easier to get in and out..but we also did express checkout and were off the ship by 9:45 and to the pier where our car was and back in the lincoln tunnel by 10:10 a breeze to get out with express chekiout..have fun great ship wonderful food as i said in my above post, i have cruised many lines and many times..loved the freestyle concept amazing..ilyse
Old October 10th, 2003, 07:16 AM
crusininapril

Would the ticket transportation center include transportation to Universal?
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:35 PM
Carla86

No, the ticket & transportation center (TTC) is only Disney! Monorail to Magic Kingdom or Epcot or bus to Animal Kingdom or MGM (our favorite park). Universal is unrelated to Disney and NCL does offer an excursion to either Universal or Islands of Adventure.
Old October 11th, 2003, 05:29 AM
About Universal

They do offer a Universal excursion and in another thread somewhere (not even sure if it was this board), someone said that you can get just the transportation through NCL to Universal and then buy your tickets there instead of getting the whole package through NCL. I'd want to call about that to be sure though but it's worth looking into. I think it's probably the same price as the Disney transportation.
Old October 11th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't see any mention of a shuttle to Universal. Most of the people I talked to either took the shore excursion with tickets or they did the trip on their own.
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Passenger

just a tip as we were on the cruise mid sept and took the disney bus --we were going to epcot -and no one told us that the transportation --monorail--requires no ticket --as the line took 15 mins for a ticketat Disney and there was no line at Epcot we could have saved time--

I also suggested to the cruise line that they sell admission tix to disney epcot but they said disney tightly controls their tickets and would not sell to cruise line-

I agree the line to get on the pier was real long took 30-45 mins
Old October 14th, 2003, 10:20 PM
yvonne

My family and I will be traveling on the Dawn in April 2003. Does NCL have their own parking facility? I heard that they do but for how much?. After reading about the traffic mess, do you recommend hiring a car to bring us vs. driving in and parking ourselves? If you do, what time to you recommend getting there since the ship leaves at 4pm.

This is our 1st cruise, is it easy to get sea sick? Shld we bring anything from home that can prevent this?

How did you find the childrens programs? If you have input, it wld be gladly appreciated.
Thanks
Old October 15th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

yvonne, I don't believe it's NCL, but the port authority which owns the parking decks which are located at each pier. I think the cost is something like $26 a day and you must pay in advance and in cash, no checks or credit cards. As to the driving/parking a lot would depend on your feelings and abilities about driving in the city traffic. Where are you from? We were on the 9/28 sailing and took an NCL bus from Allentown, PA. If you hire a car or get someone to drive you, a lot of people get dropped off somewhere on the other side of the highway from the pier and walk across the street. The traffic can be very, very heavy especially if there are 4 or 5 ships in port. Some people we talked to got to the pier around 11:30 and said they couldn't find a place to unload their luggage because of the crush of disembarking/embarking passengers. I guess a lot depends on when customs clears the ship and they start letting people off. We got in line around 2 and were on the ship by 2:30. Once in line they did seem to move along.
Old October 15th, 2003, 10:43 AM
yvonne

AlinPA, Thank you for your input. We are coming from NJ, just over the bridge from NYC. I did not realize that NCL has bus service. Is that something I shld inquire about? Or is that available only to those outside of a certain radius? My husband is very good when it comes to city driving, he works there daily. I on the other hand can't parallel park a volkswagen bug in a bus size parking space! Traffic is that heavy that people opt to cross the highway w/their luggage? Is that an easy trek, since I have little ones coming along.
Old October 15th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

There are buses from Westhampton or Burlington, but I am assuming that is farther away than you are. There were several crosswalks near the piers with traffic police there and the walk didn't seem to be that bad, I read several families with seniors did it ok. If your husband drives to the city every day, I would imagine he is an old hand handling the traffic. Just be prepared.
Old October 15th, 2003, 07:53 PM
yvonne

AlinPA, Thankyou for your information, you're answering my messages that are posted all over the place. I read and then write accordingly, therefore I'm spread out all. However, any advice is much appreciated.
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:42 PM
dauna

we were on the 10/12 sailing of Dawn...what did you think? We had a great time...hardly ever saw our 8 yr old-always in kid's crew...Dining was great..especially Cagney's and Salsa's....
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lauren04

Hello! We are sailing the Dawn in Feb-04. I have some concerns reading these message boards. We are really excited. This is our first cruise.

I am glad you had a great time!! I am sure we will too!!

Thanks for the information.

lauren04
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:02 PM
Passenger

our cruise in mid sept--we went to cagneys and had the worst food of the week --service real slow and veal chop was tough--i think it was just a bad night for them --we found other nights the food to be good in the dining room--aqua--and we usually had dessert at the buffet --where we could pig out --and pig out we did
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:08 PM
coconyc

How do we find out what pier the DAWN sails out of on a certain day?
Old October 24th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Passenger

they change the pier at will--the pier we left on was different that the one we arrived home which did cause a problem as we parked the car on the closest pier when we left--so i think the port of authority controls it--based on what i dont know