Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Asealady

Default insulin on NCL

We are ging on the Dawn in November. I ust started taking insullin shots once a day.
Do I need to tell people before they scan my carry on bag and should I have a letter from my DR. THank You in advance
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2003, 01:24 PM
vali

Default Re: insulin on NCL

You do not have to do anything prior to boarding. Tell your cabin person, you will be supplied with a Sharps container to place the used needles.
Cruise lines are no problem for diabetics.
vali
Old October 26th, 2003, 12:18 AM
NJmatt

If you do not have a container to put your needle in after taking your insulin you might want to look for something I just found in my local drugstore the other day. Its made by the company B and D and what it is is something that looks like a stapler. In the side of the device is a hole where you insert the entire needle,press down on it and it cuts the needle clean of the syring. The box that it came in says that this little device can hold up to a 2 years supply of cut needles.
Old October 26th, 2003, 10:13 AM
DNSGRL

I also am diabetic. I take pills and have just been diagnosed. I am having trouble with my sugar going up and down. the dr says it is ok to cruise, but I need to have a glass of juice or something with sugar sometimes if my level bottoms out. Is this readily available or should I pack some small containers of Sunny D ? I always have these at work and home and thought maybe it might be a good idea. Any suggestions?
Old October 26th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Billg

Default Re: Re: insulin on NCL

Pick up a pack of glucose tablets in your local drugstore. The are inexpensive, easy to carry, and act quickly to counteract low blood sugar. I am neverwithout them.
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:20 AM
DNSGRL

Default Re: Re: Re: insulin on NCL

billg Thanks so much, what a good idea. I never thought of the glucose tablets. I know I have seen them, but it never crossed my mind.
I will buy some for our trip
Thanks again
Old November 1st, 2003, 02:52 PM
Asealady

Thank you all for the information. Orange juice and grapefruit juice is available in the morning on Carnival and other lines I have been on. There is icetea, apple juice, and fruit punch up by the buffets 24/7. I am on inulin 10 days now, a low dose, hoping it contols my sugar readings and I can get off it. Dr said it should take at least 2 weeks to level off. It gets better each day. I try to stay away from food with white flour. I notice that will raise my blood sugar readings. THanks again