Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Bunni

Default Sailed on NOrwegian Wind

Hi all: Just got back from sailing on the Wind for one week out of Miami.
First of all, the check in process was a breeze (they should call it the Norwegian Breeze ). If you are a latitudes member, they have a special check in line for you and you're on the ship in no time.

We had an outside cabin, catagory C, and it was lovely. It had a sitting area with a small love seat and chair with a table in between. Very nice to order breakfast in your room and look out the window, not a port hole but a window. We had plenty of space for our clothes and toilet items. They did have a blow dryer but I used my own. The cabin had a safe which was very convenient. I know some people had complained about the bathroom smells but we didn't notice anything at all so they probably cleared up that problem.

The service was excellent. So leaving the tips on your credit card was certainly a plus, no scrambling around for the correct amount.

The ship is not glitzy. Not a mega ship. No atrium when you come in. The shows were just ok even though my husband thought they were better than I did. I didn't care for the showroom that much though.

I liked the fact that we had three different restaurants to choose from (five if we wanted the buffet in the sports bar or the pay restaurant at Le Bistro). We never had a problem getting a table for 8 with the exception of the last night but that was only a 20 minute wait. We should have made a reservation the last night. The food was good.

I didn't like the gym. Very cramped. They did have two pools but I never use a ships pool at all. Don't like them.

As far as the ports go, Belize was the only one I did not like. I wanted to go to the Jaguar preserve but it was 4 hours away. We did go to the Mayan ruins though. Matter of fact, we hired a taxi driver on our own and he was wonderful. Name is Dennis if you happen across him. It was $20.00 per person to go to the ruins. The ship charges $40.00 per person. And he took us to a local supermarket and to a restaurant so we could use the bathroom (the lines were horrible at the ruins). I'd advise you to make your own deal rather than buying the ships tours where they charge double. Too bad we couldn't get to the Cays in Belize which I understand is beautiful.
Never got to the beach in Roatan because it was a downpour all day (not the ship's fault).

All in all, it was a wonderful cruise and I would recommend it.
Bunni
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Nita

Default Re: Sailed on NOrwegian Wind

Glad you enjoyed the Wind. It's always nice to read a positive about the ships that often get negative reviews. Some people seem to have trouble with ships that are not either Glitzy or very new. I agree about Belize. Daughter and I would never do it again. The only thing we found to our liking at all was the cute little shopping area at the pier. We took a tour (a jungle trip to see the wild life) ha ha. Just wasn't our thing. I don't consider a couple of white birds seeing lots of wildlife.

Nita
Old November 6th, 2003, 01:51 PM
First Mate

Bunni,

Thanks for the great review, especially so promptly. Glad you had a good time.
Did Category C put you on the deck below the jogging track? Did you find that people were jogging too early or was the ceiling soundproof enough for it not to bother you?

Thanks,
Anne
Old November 6th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much for the positive report !!! We are going on the Wind over Thanksgiving and I will quit worrying about it now ! Sue Ann
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Bunni

Default Re: Re: Sailed on NOrwegian Wind

Just go and have a great time. Email me when you get back to let me know how you liked the cruise.
Bunni
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Kathleen Osmon

Default Re: Re: Re: Sailed on NOrwegian Wind

My friend and I went on the Wind to Alaska in June - had a lovely time. Buffet in the Sports Bar was lousy and so was the Italian restaurant - but other than that, we loved the cruise. It isn't fancy but if you are in port nearly every day, there is so much to do that you forget that there aren't tons of stuff to do aboard. Crew and staff were very nice and the ship was clean. I would do it again. Only complaint was that there wasn't enough time in Juneau, but other than that, I was very happy with the cruise.
Old February 14th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Dan McEver

Default Re: Re: Sailed on NOrwegian Wind

Ann, did you ever get an answer to your message about the early morning joggers waking up those in the C category cabins?

Thanks,
Dan