Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Passenger

Default JUST BACK FROM DREAM

AND I HAD A WONDERFUL TIME! The ship was spotless and the crew took every precaution to make sure that there was no outbreak on the ship. Everyone wore gloves and they sanitized our hands and the ship everday. I will really be shocked if I hear of an outbreak on that ship. The food was wonderful and they had a BBQ every night. I love freestyle cruising much more than traditional cruising and would definitely take another NCL cruise!
Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2003, 08:58 AM
JulieNOLA

Default Re: JUST BACK FROM DREAM

I had a great time, too! On the cruisecritic board, someone just posted a negative review, and is advising readers to avoid NCL. I'm glad to read that someone else had a great time as well. I had a balcony cabin on deck 8; where did you stay?
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:20 AM
PetiteChat

Were you on the Western Caribbean cruise? Can you give a little more detail? How the cabins were, shore excursions, entertainment. Where is the port in New Orleans. Anything at all would be helpful. I am going in Feb.

Thanks,
Amy
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:21 PM
JulieNOLA

Default Re: Re: JUST BACK FROM DREAM

Port: Located about 5 minutes from the French Quarter, at the Riverwalk shopping center. Parking and drop-off problematic due to Dream and Conquest traffic. Arrive early if you plan to park. Embarkation took 4 hrs., but they promised that embarkation in subsequent sailings would proceed more smoothly.

Cabin: Deck 8 with balcony. Small, but very clean. Wonderful room steward: attentive, pleasant, and efficient. Provided with fresh fruit every afternoon, as well as one bottle of champagne.

Entertainment: one song and dance show was good, one was Lawrence Welkish; comedian was really funny; magician was pretty entertaining. The audience in my opinion looked really old, so they probably appreciated the entertainment more than I did.

Food: delicious (subjective, of course); good variety offered in Sports Bar for breakfast and dinner. Some people complained about the wait at the different restaurants. You can avoid the lines by eating when the restaurants open (5:30 or 6:00). Charged extra for coke (about $1.40) and bottled water (about $3.40). A bottle of wine purchased at the bar and taken back to cabin cost about $25.00.

Ship layout and decor: pleasant and clean indoor areas, beautiful outdoor areas. Pool on deck 9 aft was nearly empty much of the day; deck 8 aft nearly empty as well if you're looking for a quiet place to read or nap. Lots of people on deck 12, but always had available chairs. Wonderful jogging path on deck 7.

Shore excursions: went to Tabyana Beach (nice, but frightening taxi ride home down the winding hilly roads); went to beautiful and uncrowded public beach in Cancun about a 10 minute ride from dock; other stops I just wondered around with my unathletic family (so no scuba diving, etc.) Others can answer this question better.

Basically, if you enjoy your traveling companions and the weather stays sunny, you should have a great time.
Old November 14th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Passenger

That's a pretty good summary Julie. I had an indoor stateroom on the International Deck- Deck 9. Sounds like we went on similar excursions! I did the Mayan Ruins in Cozumel, Tabyana Beach in Roatan, Wildlife Adventure in Belize, and Avalon Bay Beach and shopping in Cancun.

The crowd was much older but I figured since I was going in November that was a possibility. I didn't go to many shows, but I agree the comedian was really funny and I liked the dance tribute to Bob Fosse. I did find the other musical acts a little boring and corny.

The Dream was in Terminal 2- make sure you make that clear if someone is going to pick you up or they will get caught up in the Conquest traffic!

If you go with a positive attitude and DON'T LOOK FOR THINGS TO WHINE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT....... you'll have a great time!! I swear a lot of people will go on a cruise with a negative attitude, and look for things to ***** about. Before I went on the Dream I heard all kinds of negative things (from ppl on this board). You know what? None of it was true! Ship was spotless, food was excellent, staff had great attitude, entertainment was decent....what else do you people want????? Geez!
Old November 14th, 2003, 09:03 PM
ready to go!

I am so glad to read your posts! I am sailing on the 12/28 trip and was really concerned after reading the negative posts. I've never sailed before so I have really been looking forward to going, and plan on just relaxing and enjoying the experience. Your posts were informative about how the ship is and especially when to dine. I'm sure we would rather eat early than late anyway. We will be in a balcony room on deck 8, port side toward the back of the ship. The AC worked ok there? Did you book your excursions through NCL or independently? I'm one to stay on the safe side and booked through NCL. Don't want to have to worry about being left in port, or hooking up with the wrong people. Did either of you have any kids that took advantage of the Kid's Crew? I have a 13 yr old daughter whom I hope will be willing to join in the activities for kids. We will be on the 12/28 sailing so I'm sure there will be plenty of kids on that trip, being a school holiday.
Thanks for sharing you experiences.
Connie
Old November 14th, 2003, 09:40 PM
JulieNOLA

To answer your questions:
The a/c worked great in my cabin, but I'm always freezing.

We booked our two tours through NCL before we left. In the future I don't think I would book any beach excursions until I'm on the ship due to the uncertainty of the weather. In Belize, you could book some of the same tours that NCL offered for half-price. We had problems only in Cancun with a taxi driver who spoke no English and charged us double the going rate.

I don't have any kids, and didn't see more than a couple of teenagers on the ship. I passed by the Kids' Crew room, and from the outside it looked like a daycare, with art work taped to the glass. I saw a couple of boys (around age 10) playing video games. Most of the kids on board seemed to spend their time in the pool. Your daughter should like Deck 12--next to the pool, they had barbecues, ice cream, etc. and nearbye, a video arcade. As long as you wear her out on the excursions, she should be content. I'm already looking forward to my 2nd cruise.
Old November 15th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Passenger

I don't have any kids but I saw plenty of them . I saw the Kid's Crew area and it looked like a nice place for the kids to be. I booked my excursions through NCL. We did run in to a little rain, but the weather was pretty nice overall. I think November ends the rainy season so you shouldn't have any problems. The AC and the heat worked well in my cabin. Hope that helps! Have fun Connie!
Old November 16th, 2003, 02:31 AM
JOSIE

DEBBY,WE ARE GOING ON THE DREAM 11/23/2003. WE HAVE 2 INSIDE CABINS
ON THE INTERNATIONAL DECK.
I'M SO GLAD THAT YOU POSTED A FAVORABLE REVIEW ON THE DREAM. I'VE READ
A FEW OF THE POSTS ON CC & CM OF CRUISERS WHO HAD BAD EXPERIENCES.
I WAS GETTING A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT TRAVELING ON NCL. PROIR CRUISES
WERE RCCL,COMMODORE,CARNIVAL,AND A HAWAII AMERICA CRUISE
HOW WAS YOUR CABIN? WAS IT RATED AS A SUPERIOR INSIDE CABIN?
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SUPERIOR INSIDE AND INSIDE?
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Jessica Page

Thanks Debby I feel a lot better now!!
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Beginner

Glad to hear you had a good time. Can you tell me were the seas rough? Never sailed at this time of year before. I;ve been check ing the weather and it seems like it should be in the 80's. Thanks for all the good info.
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Grumye

We just got back from a great trip on the NCL Dream 11-9-03. The seas out were rough but kinda fun. We had cabin 5019 with a picture window and it was wonderful. We booked several tours on our own and had no problems.
On Cozumel our daughter, her husband and 2 sons ages 8&11 did the royal dolphin swim. her Dad and I were allowed to go onto the pier and take pictures and watch the fun. It was well worth the money. We also did the Atlantic Submarine tour and it was great too. We went down to about 126 feet and saw the reef and lots and lots of colorful fish. Seeing the reef up close was great.
On Roatan we shopped at the straw market and hired a van to take us on a sight seeing tour of the island. We never saw any one begging but saw many peddling shells or wares. I got most of my best soveriners there. Had a great time, was happy to have seen this island in it's natural beauty before it becomes a tourist stop.
In Belize City we had booked a snorkle tour with "Coral Breeze" and it was more than one could expect. They met us at the dock and we rode out to the reef in a very fast boat. our guide said to look over the side and there were several very large nurse sharks swiming around us. we swam with them and were taken to another spot to snorkle. we then were taken to the Isle of Caye Caulker for a great lunch of local foods. We had time to shop and then back to Belize City and more shopping,
Cancun, great buy on tee shirts on the tender boat and wonderful shopping in Cancun.
I will be happy to give any informatio that I can. hope you have a great cruise. We sure did.
Old November 20th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Jessica Page

What is a good beach to go to in Cancun....I also read about lots of bug bites in Roatan....did this happen to any of you?
Old November 22nd, 2003, 08:38 PM
Passenger

Jessica,

Do not forget your insect repellent! We went to the zoo and the bugs we're really hungry. In fact, I let some people borrow my spray. Josie, I had a superior inside cabin. It was spacious enough for two people. I don't know the difference between superior inside and inside.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 10:41 PM
JOSIE

Debbie,
Thanks for the info.we're leaving tomorrow. We have 2 cabins on deck 9,--9106 & 9107. Our local paper also gave a favorable report on the Dream in the travel section.
Freestyle dining will be new to us . I'm going to try to have dinner between 5:30 & 6:30,
maybe there won't be much of a crowd.
Almost packed,and going to board the Dream with a Positive Attitude. We live 7 miles from the terminal,got a great price,and will be cruising to 2 ports I've never visited,Belize & Roatan. We've packed several cans of insect repellant with "DEET".
We'll return on Nov.30,will write a report early that week.
Happy Thanksgiving to All!!