Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2003, 10:35 AM
valtandc

Default So much Bad Press on Dawn. Your toughts???

I will be booking a cruise within a week. I have only been on two cruises before and one was 11 years ago. Most recently I went on the Serenade of the Seas with RCL to canada for 4 nights with my wife. We absolutely loved the ship, room, food, people, staff. Not being a cruise expert or heavily travelied I would rate our experience a 9.5.

We are planning a cruise out of nyc to warmer weather and need to go between april and early june. not many options. Dawn is one of them. going with our two kids: 4 and 6 and my parents in their sixties. We are 37.

Unfortunately, I am probably doing too much reading of reviews. The Dawn seems to get crushed on food quality, service, disorganization. At the same time the massive rcl voyager gets only positive reviews from almost all.

We don't need our butts kissed, don't expect 5 star food. We want comfort, fun, decetn food and for our kids to have a blast while I take an hour or two and drink cold coronas by the pool.

Will we enjoy the Dawn after loving the Serenade?
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2003, 11:43 AM
First Mate

Default Re: So much Bad Press on Dawn. Your toughts???

Yes, you will. I was on the Dawn this past May (her first sailing from NYC) and I am going again in April. It is a beautiful ship and the service was top notch. There is a great area for kids in the aft of the ship on the pool deck and they also have a "kids crew" where you can leave the kids with experienced NCL staff for 2-3 hours at a time to do activities with other children on board. They are very kid friendly (as well as adult friendly, of course).
Old November 20th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

We thoroughly enjoyed our Dawn cruise in September. The ship was beautiful and we found the crew to be very capapble and friendly. I don't remember getting up from any meal and saying it was bad. I look at things this way, there are over 2000 people on each voyage and I see maybe 5-6 reviews. I take note of them but will still make up my own mind. I would have no hesitation to recommend a Dawn cruise.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 07:10 PM
rita w

I went on the Dawn 8/31 with my 15 yo daughter. We met a bunch from message boards and hung out with them ALOT. There were about 30 of us. Everyone of us had a great time. I have an upcoming trip in two weeks with my SO and other two kids. I am just as excited as the first time. Also, my friend Maryann that I met in August booked the longer itinerary in Feb.

Don't listen to the whiners, this is a great ship. You will have fun and your kids will too, I promise.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:00 AM
George in NY

We sailed the Dawn last month, our review is on cruisemates in the reader review section. We enjoyed it and found it to be a fine cruise. Have nothing but raves about the staff and although we prefer having tablemates assigned I was surprised to find that freestyle wasn't bad at all. We enjoyed it enough that we are sailing her again a week from today on Nov 30th sailing just to get away nice and convenient from NY.

We have also sailed the Voyager, you really can't compare the two and the Voyager is a fantastic cruise and we would love to sail her again however the pricing for her out of NY seems very high currently anyway.

Summing it up, if pricing were the same I would choose the Voyager over Dawn in a heartbeat but certainly have no hestitation sailing the Dawn given the much better pricing it has had so far. The Dawn is also a gorgeous ship.

George in NY
Old November 23rd, 2003, 05:11 PM
Cruisecat55

I know what your saying about reading the boards. My wife and I sailed the Dawn last March, Eastern Carabbean, and we had a great time. It was our first cruise on a Norwegian ship having sailed five previous times on RCCL. We enjoyed the free style dining, the shows were the best we have experienced and the service was great. The food, well it was cruise ship food. One great meal, one so so but that is what I have always experienced. I can also state that the children on the ship seemed to be having a great time. The pool area for them in the rear of this ship made me want to be a kid. This March we are sailing the Serenade of the Seas to the Southern Carabbean. I am glad you had a great time on her.
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:52 AM
ilyse

the dawn was wonderful as we were on it in october..it was our 15th cruise.....we did it without our kids but we did see the kids area and we would do the same cruise with them in a heartbeat..i am 37 years old and my husband is too, we had a great time..food was wonderful and service was just great as well, you will have a blast..ilyse
Old November 24th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Asealady

Default Re: Re: So much Bad Press on Dawn. Your toughts???

Hi

We just arrived home yesterday from the Dawn. It was great, we loved it. Food, we thought was wonderful. The shows were the best. Bollywood was so awesome. The best entertainment on my 16 past cruises. Staff were very polite and eager to please. They always had smiling faces and friendly. Kids looked like they were having a blast. My daughter 21, felt there wasnt alot of people her age. My one problem, kids were in the hot tubs on top deck by pool. No NCL staff member told them to get out. If I was in hot tub, I would have reported that. Other than that, week was great. Go and dont listen to the complaints here. Shame on them! We plan to go again soon.
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:48 AM
Just got back

The only rule for the hot tub is that no one under age 12 can go in the hot tub without an adult. There were kids in the hot tubs when we were there too and no one said anything. Their rules are pretty lax and it doesn't look like they enforce them too much. I guess they would only if it becomes a problem.
Old December 1st, 2003, 09:35 AM
First Mate

We haven't been on the Dawn, but several other NCL cruises and just finished a cruise on Celebrity: have sailed all the mass marketed lines now with exception of Princess. Yes, Celebrity offered a few special nicities and the food in the dining room, as well as the service is a slight step up, but I will go back to NCL in a heartbeat. This doesn't mean we would not sail Celebrity again, we will, but don't let the negatives bother you. NCLs newer ships can hold their own against any line especailly RCL. Choose the cruise that will offer you the price and itinerary you want and forget about the rest.

Nita
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:04 PM
Shaurice D

I cruised the Dawm in October. It was my first cruise. I had a wonderful time. the food was good. There was on board activities if you chose to participate. The on board camp for the kids looked like a lot of fun . The kids were always busy and I hardly was any of them. Everyone will have there opinion of a cruise. I thought the Dawn was a blast. Oh and the ship is beautiful. I plan on going again early next year. Have a great time.
Old December 5th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Don't believe the bad press. I was on board the Dawn on Nov. 23 and my family and I enjoyed it so much that we are planning another one next year. The ship is very clean and luxurious and offers a wide variety of food and activities for all ages.

The staff is very friendly and efficient. The bars are well stocked with prices comparable to a New York City bar. Beer is $3.74 w/ the 15% gratuity included while mixed drinks range from $4.50 to whatever.

The rooms are made up 2x/day. We never came back to the mess that we left behind in our cabin. We always had fresh towels available without ever having to ask for them. We felt so royally treated that we decided to leave a little something for the housekeep even if tips are covered by the $10/day tagged on to your bill.