Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:58 PM
Brint

Default Sailing on DREAM Jan 4th 04

This will be my second cruise. My girlfriend and I will be going from Ohio.
I am wondering if Norwegian will be a good line to sail for younger people. I am 22 and my girlfriend is 20, and we both really love the water-so our demands are not high.

We had a choice between Norwegian and princess, and chose Norwegian based on advice from the travel agent that it was more suited for young people, any thoughts? The cruise will leave from New Orleans and visit Belize city, roatan, cozumel etc..
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:50 PM
JulieNOLA

Default Re: Sailing on DREAM Jan 4th 04

If you love the water and love to eat, you'll have a great time. I do think you and your girlfriend will be the youngest adults on the ship, though. Most passengers are middle-aged or older and sailing with their families. I sailed on the Dream the first week of November and would take the trip again in a minute. Just don't expect an active night life (you'll find that in New Orleans).
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:31 PM
Beginner

I am on the 1/04/04 sailing as well. There are 7 people in my group, all from Maryland...I'm 35, my wife (31), daughter (15), and my parents and my wife's parents. This is my wife and I's 4th cruise, my daughter's 1st , my parents 3rd and my in-laws are in the double digit range. I have found some other folks going on the cruisecritic.com website. I am really looking foward to getting out of the cold weather for a while...
Old December 4th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Jessica Page

You will have a great time.....Princess wouldn't have been any better age wise, the only ship that consistantly has people in their mid twenties is Carnival.
Don't worry and Enjoy I am off to get the Dream this weekend!! I can't wait!!
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Brint

We decided to book the december 14th cruise instead, same ship -same ports. We are fine with being the youngest people on the ship, and yes I do love the water. We had the princess almost booked but we switched back to norwegian because of dates conflicting with the start of next semester. Also, I was told that if we chose to dine alone some nights the norwegian's freestyle is better for that.
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Brint

One more thing, how strict is their drinking police on board? My gf is under 21, will she be carded at bars and diners? As far as my understanding, you are allowed to bring wine and champ. on the cruise with you, but nothing else-correct?
Old December 5th, 2003, 09:12 AM
JulieNOLA

Default Re: Re: Sailing on DREAM Jan 4th 04

No, the ticket states that you can't bring any intoxicating beverages onboard. Sometimes they search your suitcase and confiscate; sometimes they don't. You can buy a bottle of wine from the bar and bring it back to the room with you. I think we paid about $25.00 for wine that would normally cost $15.00 at a discount liquor store here in New Orleans. We stayed in balcony cabins on deck 8, and received a complimentary bottle of champagne upon arrival. Onboard you don't show an I.D. at the bar; instead you show your room card--you use it to pay for everything from souvenirs at the shops to drinks to excursions, etc. I guess if they refuse to serve her, you could buy the drinks for her. Someone else might know the answer to your question about carding.
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Brint

I called Norwegian today and they told me that we are allowed to bring 1 bottle of champ and 1 bottle of wine?
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Brint

So m uch for that, I just had a different operator tell me that no alcohol is allowed to be brought on board.
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:52 PM
First Mate

Brint, you will most likely not be the only young people on the ship and should have a great time. As for drinking laws, I don't know for sure about NCL, but last week on Celebrity the age was 18. All over 18 got a white sail and sign card which is your room key as well, all under 18 got blue. Have a great time.

NMNita
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Passenger

Brint, we are sailing 12/14 too! We got an upgrade of 11 categories. I am exstatic! What do you and your girlfriend plan to do on the islands? Just an FYI, in Roatan, Carnival Paradise docks at 6am and the port is so small the Dream cannot dock until they leave after 3 pm. Apparently last week this was a major screw up on NCL's part. They did have tenders but many people got messed out of the tours. Plan now to make sure you are on the first tender out if you have a private tour scheduled or just want to go to the beach and hang out. Happy Sailing!
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Brint

Nurse- My gf and I want to swim with dolphins and go snorkeling, and just relax on the beach! I would also like to ride wave runners if they are available.