Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2003, 02:02 AM
mlh7625

Default 1st Timer

Well to make a long story short...I'm going on the Star the first part of February courtesy of a door prize at my companies Christmas party! Yeah for me! I'll be traveling with my 8 year old daughter. It won't be my first time in Hawaii, was stationed there for 2 years, but
I've never been on a cruise before and have no idea what to expect..or how to prepare for it! What do I pack? What's needed in terms of documents for identification. (Fanning Island is part of another country, are passports needed?) I'm fashion challenged...what the heck is "Resort Casual"?
Any help would be greatly appreciated..and could get ya a drink if your cruising at the same time!

Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: 1st Timer

Congratulations . A passport probably won't be needed, but if you don't have it you will need birth certificate and a photo id. I would go with the passport. It's so much easier. If you are traveling alone with your daughter, you will probably have to provide some kind of permission statement from her father.
Pack as you would for any vacation in that area. Resort casual is clothing that is not so formal, but not jeans and shorts which are not allowed at dinner except in the buffets. There will be a "formal" night where suits, tuxedos, and gowns can be worn but it's optional - will only be in one of the dining areas.
Old December 20th, 2003, 01:35 PM
mlh7625

Default Re: Re: 1st Timer

Thanks for the response! From what I understand, I don't have enough time to get passports before the trip...and the wording at NCL's site is confusing to me. BTW, I'm her dad!
Old December 20th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Admiral

You don't have to have permission from the non-travelling parent. do take both your birth certificates and a photo ID (dirver's license) for you.

You and your daughter will have a wonderful time!

dorothy
Old December 20th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry 'bout that! . Have a wonderful cruise. I'd love to visit Hawaii longer than the quick overnight I had on way overseas many years ago .
Old December 21st, 2003, 01:26 AM
mlh7625

You guys are great! Thanks alot. From here and other places I've visited it looks like I'll have to get passports for us, you can't board the ship without one. You'd think you could just stay on the boat at Fanning if you didn't have one, oh well. Now hopefully I'll be able to get them in time.
Old December 21st, 2003, 08:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can get passports expedited - 2 weeks as opposed to about six according to the state dept website, but it will cost $120 on top of the $175 for the two. If your wife is not with you when you apply, you will need a consent form. Check out the information at www.state.gov
Old December 21st, 2003, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Congratulations on your trip! I'm sailing next week to the Western Carribean with my 13 yr old daughter. We got passports because I thought it would make things easier. We got them 3 weeks after we sent off for them, and did not have to have them rushed to us. I did have to have my husband sign for her since she is under 14. I also have a notarized "permission" letter from him stating that he ok's me taking our daughter out of the country. I figured it would be better to have it than not.